HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
LOPSIDED

ANY REMEDIES FOR BONE & JOINT PAIN---BESIDES PRESCRIPTION DRUGS

I STARTED HAVING BONE & JOINT PAIN ABOUT 2 WKS AFTER TAKING TAXOTERE TREATMENTS (12) AND IT SEEMS THERE IS NO END TO IT.......I START HERCEPTIN IN THREE DAYS FOR 1 YEAR WKLY TREATMENTS. I'M NOT TAKING ANY PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE EXCEPT WHAT THEY WILL GIVE ME WITH HERCEPTIN AND WOULD LIKE TO STAY THAT WAY-----JUST WONDERING ABOUT ANY REMEDIES TO HELP WITH PAIN WITHOUT TAKING PRESCRIP. DRUGS IS THERE ANYTHING BESIDES HOT SHOWERS & BATHS AND MOTRIN. I FEEL SO STIFF---LIKE I'M 120 YEARS OLD.
LOPSIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
al from Canada

Consider hypnosis or guided imagry. Could help depending on the severity. As well, COX2 inhibitors such as curcumin may help as well.

Al
Old 05-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Lolly

I have had others attest to accupunture for relieving various aches and pains. I've never tried it myself, my ins. doesn't cover, but my daughter has had treatments for chronic neck pain and it's helped.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
tousled1

My neurologist recommended glucosamine (spelling??) which you can get over the counter. You may want to try it. It worked for me.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
Sandy H

I use Barlene's flaxseed oil but I am ER/PR neg. If you are positive it may not be a good idea to use it. It works great for me and I take it 3 times a day. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Bev

Onc nurse said to take B-6 for taxol related pain. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
MCS

I also have joint pains. worse when I had taxol.

I was recommended to take 60mg of L glutamine in juice or any other liquid by the doc.( its a powder). You can buy pharmacy grade with a presciption of a doctor or over the counter froma reputable natural health store or nutrition center ( for example GNC)

I also added glucosamine with cronditin, which really helped. I got it without msm. Costco sells this.

Hope you feel better. I know hou you feel

XO

MCS (maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Smile kat in the delta

Going to an exper. massage was worth 3 bottles of pain rx.,expecially after a masc.on rt.side. Kat
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
cosmicdust

Complimentary therapies

Consider one of the complementary therapies ie. Reiki, Massage, Yoga, Meditation...I take Reiki every 2 weeks - and the person here does this free for cancer patients. You may find there are those who perform these 'complementary therapies' in your neighborhood - and be certain to ask if they have reduced or free sessions! (I pay mine every other time because she has to make a living too! and I find the sessions calming)
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
Ginagce

Pain Relief

I have experienced more bone and joint pain since starting Arimidex and Herceptin than I ever did on Taxol.

I find that walking is the best thing I can do for pain. I know it seems like the last thing you want to do, but it does help a great deal.

I also use a supplement called Move Free. It is a combination of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM. I showed this to my Onc who said it was fine to take in combination with the above.

And, I also have a GIM (guided imagery with music)therapist I see every 3 weeks. He uses the "Bonnie method" and it is the most incredible tool I have ever found. As a matter of fact, I have a friend who is the Director of Stress Management at a large NCI cancer center/university here in Philadelphia who started seeing him too and she says it is one of the most healing things she has ever done!

I understand from my therapist that there are not a lot of licensed GIM therapists in this country but if you can't find one, then perhaps you could try guided imagery without music.

All the best to you,

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
R.B.

Lack of omega three and omega three and six out of balance is recognised as being implicated in some inflamatory conditions.

There is a group of writers who link it to arthritis is linked as well.

There are lots of posts on the subject of fats on this site that can be accessed through clinking on search on the purple bar above.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #12
lisahammo

I had terrible joint pain when I started on Taxol, but I take Glucosamine and Omega 3 Fish Oil. This seems to have worked wonders for me.

Take care

Lisa Hamilton
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:56 AM   #13
CherylS

I just had a talk with my onc about the joint and muscle pain which has gotten so bad from Arimidex. She said to use the same L-Glutamine/B-6 combination that we used for neurophathy. Just started it, so I can't give much of a report, but hopeful that it works. If it doesn't within 6 weeks she is going to try switching me to Femara.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Post kat in the delta

Listened to 3 talks this week. Glucosamine is good. If neuropathy is bad, a doctor said that Rx neurotin may help altho' it may make you drowsy at 1st--but, start with a low dose. A wonderful website is : "www.mskcc.org " It has official info. on all Complementary medicines, etc......Also massage therapy and this doc. said accupunture, yoga.....
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
kat in the delta

Post kat in the delta

My sister and others have said that the Femara caused a lot of joint pain, too. Now my sister takes aromasin and has not complained. Kat in the delta