HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Rich66

Male breast cancer

Quote:
Men are NOT Immune to Breast Cancer Breast cancer is not a disease exclusive to women. For every 100 women with breast cancer, one man will develop the disease. The National Breast Cancer Foundation estimates approximately 1,700 men will develop breast cancer and 450 will die from it each year.
The average age men are diagnosed with breast cancer is 67, versus 62 for women, meaning male cancers are often caught in a more advanced stage. If you work around petrochemicals, your risk is much higher. Men who work around gasoline and combustion products have a significantly higher risk of developing breast cancer.
Males and their doctors may be diverted from an accurate diagnosis due to enlargement of the breasts or gynecomastia, a common and benign condition, plus the fact that men are generally less vigilant about checking for breast lumps.
5 “Women’s Diseases” Men Can Get Too
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: Male breast cancer

.................................................. ................................
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
1rarebird

Re: Male breast cancer

Thanks for the links, Rich. I can't argue with any of the statements made therein. It is also interesting to me that of the 5 "women's diseases men can get too," in addition to the breast cancer, I have gotten 3 of the other 4 too--osteoporosis, thyroid disease and yeast infections . Now I attribute the thinning of my bones and yeast infection to the chemotherapy I received, but it only points out to me that sometimes there isn't much difference between the sexes. I just wish the trials sponsors agreed--bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote