HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
msleslie

MRI Hell

Hello Ladies. Now that I have completed chemo, radiation, herceptin, & tykerb it was time for my annual MRI. On the first attempt the technician was unable to find a vein. On the second attempt (2 weeks later) a skilled technician was able to access a vein in my wrist. The first 20 minutes of the test was fine but when they started the contrast I got sick. Although, I was vomitting after a brief intermission we resumed the test. To my astonishment, I received a call the next day that they were unable to read the MRI results because of too much movement during the exam. I will have to go back in for a 3rd attempt. If you have any pointers for those of us with small veins or those who do not tolerate the contrast very well - please share. Thanks
HER2neu positive, BRAC I & II negative
7/8/2010 - Lumpectomy right breast, sentinel lymph node biopsy, & port-a-cath installed on left
Stage II, Size 3.2cm, Clear Nodes, Clear Margins
8/19/2010 - Chemo begins - Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Tykerb all simulanteously; ALTTO trial arm 4
9/9/2010 - Chemo dose #2
9/30/2010 - Chemo dose#3
10/21/2010 - Chemo dose#4
11/11/2010 - Chemo dose#5
12/02/1010 - Chemo dose #6 - WooHoo, it is complete!
12/14/2010 - Simulation & Planning session for radiation
02/18/2011 - Completed radiation treatment (33 rounds)
08/04/2011 - Completed Herceptin & Tykerb
09/30/2013 - ultrasound guided biopsy (following annual MRI)
10/1/2013 - new cancer in left breast. 6mm discovered via MRI
10/28/2013 - bilateral mastectomy - no reconstruction
msleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
BonnieR

Re: MRI Hell

Hey, Msleslie, good hearing from you again, despite the reason! You look good.
So what do THEY suggest doing to make this experience better for you? Can they administer a different agent for contrast? Can you receive antiemetic (anti nausea) meds ahead of time?
Request that a skilled technician be available even before they start sticking you.
Maybe you could ask about taking a mild tranquilizer ahead of time because you might be a tad anxious going into it! I know I would be!
I hope you can get a better experience lined up. Let us know. And keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: MRI Hell

I feel for you. I have had my share of mishaps from technicians trying to access a vein or taking a needle out after a contrast. The last time a technician tried I bleed all over the place ---my clothes, the floor, the equipment etc. They had to page over the loudspeaker for a trauma nurse and the senior radiologist on duty had to apply pressure for 30 minutes to stop the bleeding. they applied pressure bandages after that. I always request an I. V. nurse when I am making appointments for all scans and refuse to let the technicians access my veins.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.

Last edited by ElaineM; 09-04-2011 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: correction
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
kristen8594

Hello,
I don't let the MRI techs touch me after multiple tires and even them paging pedi nurses or an IV nurse. Now I go to the oncology Dept first where they gladly and easily do the IV! Sorry can't help about the nausea.
Kristen
1.6 cm her2+++ er/pr +
1/13 node positive
A/C and Taxol Dose dense/8 treatments/ 3 months rads
finished treatments 12/31/03
tamoxifen 5years
Starting late herceptin 5/09
Finished one year herceptin 5/10
Waiting to start Femara
kristen8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
jml

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Scan time is stressful enough on it's own!
Would it be possible for you to do a PET scan instead?
There's a whole different type of prep for the PET and
they use a contrast also, but I wonder if it might be different than
the contrast they use for MRI?
I would suggest you call your docs and let them know that
you couldn't tolerate the contrast & what a difficult time you
had and let them discuss the options.
I have a friend that had a severe reaction -anaphylaxis - due to the contrast during a CT & they had to pull out the epi-pen & benadryl.
Good luck & keep us posted!

Keep the Faith~
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
Debbie L.

Man, I can see why you're not looking forward to a repeat of that experience!

What is the MRI for? Is it a breast MRI?

I have several friends who swear by Ativan on scan day. It does help a little bit with the nausea, too. It's fairly short-acting so unless you're extremely sensitive to the sedation, it should leave you ready to enjoy the rest of your day.

For the IV, it helps to be well hydrated, and warm (overall warm is good, but in a pinch -- a warm blanket on the target arm for 10 minutes or so will do). Exercise can also help your veins be more visible (a few brisk laps around the facility right before they call you, for example). Relaxation (no anxiety) can also help (see Ativan, above). Do not hesitate to be pro-active in insisting that they have an expert on hand to access your veins. If you made it thru treatment without a port, the area of the veins above where they typically infused your chemo are most likely scarred. Point out to the tech that although they look tempting, those veins in your upper forearm and antecubital space (crook of elbow) don't cooperate. The most likely spots for success are a hand vein or one on the lower wrist area.

Debbie Laxague

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
MJo

I had an MRI last month. It was difficult. I have decided that next time, I will take Xanax before the MRI.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Joanna J

Leslie,Sorry to hear abt your unfortunate circumstances...I know how you feel,August 25th was a day like this for me,after 3 tries that day (Bingo) but the injections were painful,unfortunately,the med staff tells me this is quite common after chemo (rough on the veins) I had my Bone & Cat scan (everything is ok ,by the way,2.5 yrs out YAY) I hope your next try is a success...Nurse told me to drink water before & I always keep heat (a microwaveable Rice bag my mother made for me) wrapped around my hand til I get there,I learned abt this @ the cancer center....This may help you...couldn't hurt to try (saved me many times) Hope to hear that everything works out great for you,Joanna J
chemo (2) carboplatin & Taxotere
could not finish chemo (hospitalized because of infection)
37 rounds radiation
Herceptin (1 yr.)
No clinical trials
Jan.2011 BRAC 1/BRAC 2 Neg
Aug.2011 clear bone/catscan NED
Apr.2012 clear digital mammo
& ultra sound of breasts
Joanna J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
hutchibk

I am sorry to hear it was such an ordeal! I know others who have experienced similar challenges with CTs and the barium followed by contrast.

I am one of those weird cookies who loves MRIs and has had nothing but good experiences for 8 years. We access my veins in my hand and as long as I am well hydrated, we do pretty well. As Debbie said, there are ways to plump up those veins that any knowledgeable technician should be able to employ.

As for reaction to the contrast... ask the radiology clinic what they do in that case. They have alternate ideas for clients who show reaction. Also, be sure and tell your oncologist... they may also have solutions for you.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote