HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Patty F

Unhappy Question about lump

I noticed a lump about an inch about my mastectomy scar a few weeks ago. Today I showed the onc and he said that I need to have it removed as soon as the taxol is complete. I had 11 of 12 treatments today. The onc said he feels it is a tumor and would contact the surgeon. Should the lump have appeared and grown while I am on treatment? I thought chemo was suppose to kill anything left. I had a pet scan in February and it showed a hot spot in the upper axilla region. My question is should I have another scan before surgery to make sure they finally remove all the hot spots?
11/07 - 1/08: AC
1/30/08: Right Mast Stage lllC
2/28/08: Start Taxol and Herceptin weekly.
5/15/08: Finished Taxol
8/12/08: Finished 33 Rads
1/29/09: Finished Herceptin
Patty F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Paty

Patty,

While I was on treatment a lump started growing at the end of my lumpectomy scar, very close to the nipple. The doctor immediately ordered a mammogram, but it showed that it is tissue growing due to scar, fat that got clogged with no circulation. It's been a year since that. I just went to see a famous onc in Mexico City, he didnĀ“t like the lump either and ordered a new mammo. He confirmed it was tissue growing due to the scar but no malignacy. I have to have this removed too, I still do not know when the doctors will schedule the surgery. Couldn't your doctor tell you from the pet or with a mammo if this is some benign tissue growing? Check it out with him, it could be just some fribosis from the scar.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Becky

The scar is the most difficult tissue because it does not have good circulation so chemo and herceptin do not penetrate the scar tissue well. Therefore, if a cancer cell is left behind there, it might grow even though you are still in treatment. That does NOT mean that the chemo did not work elsewhere. IF it is tumor, it will be removed and radiation (which is also synergistic with Herceptin) will finish the job.

Have faith

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
kcherub

I have a little lump on my scar line, but after a mammo and US, it was determined to be scar tissue! I am hoping the same for you!

Keep us updated,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Colleens_Husband

Patty:

Colleen had a pretty big lump grow where the breast meets the armpit. It turned out it was a hematoma which was a result of blood and fluid from the surgery.

For your sake, I am glad that your oncologist is taking it seriously. You are much safer if the doctors assume that it is a tumor, and it proves to be something else, rather than assuming it is something else and it turns out to be a tumor.

I know this must be emotionally difficult for you. Hang in there. We are on your side. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Lee
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
MJo

I'm thinking good thoughts for you. The odds are definitely in your favor. Waiting to hear the results.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
Belinda

Lump

Hi there

About 6 months ago I felt a lump a little above my scar, on my chest wall, about half the size of a pea. My onc said "see the surgeon - could be a small tumour nodule" and surgeon said "not sure I like the look of this - off for an ultrasound and needle biopsy".

Anyway, turns out it was an oily cyst, which was caused by fatty tissue breaking down and turning to scar tissue. It completely collapsed hen it was biopsied, and sonographer was really sure it was nothing and pathology proved her correct. It filled up a little and I can still feel it but I am not worried about it at all now.

I hope your investigations prove your lump to be equally harmless.

Bx
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
atdec05

Hi Patty,

I had a lump (actually looked more like a pimple) appear near my mastectomy scar on my last month of Herceptin. My onc. referred to my dermatologist, who said if it didn't go away after a few weeks, get it biopsied. As you can see from my signature, it did turn out to be more IDC. As Becky noted, the area close to the scar can harbor some cancer cells. It is good that you're getting it looked at to clarify what it is. Based on the results, then more scans may be ordered.

Sorry but I wasn't clear - did you have rads? That is effective in treating the scar area.

take care,

Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Jackie07

I would be very, very careful even when all the doctors say it is just scar tissue. I wish I had requested an ultrasound or biopsy when they told me that what's on the mammagram was 'just' scar tissue.

My 'scar' tissue grew to be over 2 cm before I had the correct diagnosis - during that time I was getting sicker and sicker - took 4 days sick leave from work the week before the mammagram. And the margin of my mastectomy was only 0.5 mm from my pectoralis muscle.

Better safe than sorry.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote