HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Estelle

Important re Trial for Tykerb alone in Adjuvant setting

Friends,
I was in a trial for evaluating Tykerb vs. Herceptin in the adjuvant setting. The study had four arms: one herceptin alone for a year, one tykerb alone for a year one herceptin followed by tykerb for a year total and one of tykerb and herceptin together for a year. I drew the tykerb alone arm, however the tykerb did not agree with me, and I ended up coming off of tykerb and then doing a year of Herceptin. The technical name of the study is N063D/BIG 2-06 Altto: Adjuvant Lapatinib and/orTrastuzumab Opitmization Study.

In any event, even though I am off of the study, I guess I am on their mailing list and today I received a letter that advised that based on data to date, persons who were on the arm for only lapatinib (tykerb is the trade name) were "not likely to do as well as those assigned to Trastuzumab alone." It further advised that persons on this arm should stop and get Herceptin, and if they had finished their year of Tykerb, to go back to their doctor and get Herceptin. All others could continue with their options.

I am posting this to inform persons who are considering options or who may have received tykerb alone, but for some reason did not get a letter.

Also to give thanks to God for me personally -- when I got sick on the Tykerb, I was very disappointed to have to leave the study and not get the new cutting edge treatments. But, as it turned out, this was a good thing!

I am cross referencing this post in Hercepting/tykerb board.
lumpectomy 2/09
10 positive nodes; scans show no further metastasis, Stage IIIc
AC completed 5/09
Tykerb/Taxol (trial) 6/09, terminated from trial (due to bad reaction to Tykerb) 8/09; switched to Herceptin/Taxol
Taxol finished 10/09
Bilateral mastectomy 11/09
Radiation 12/09 to 1/10
Herceptin finished 7/10
NED
Start Vaccine Trial at Hopkins 2/11
Finished Vaccine Trial 11/11
Continue NED
Port Out 11/11
DEIP Flap 4/17)
8 Years NED 2/17
Estelle is offline   Reply With Quote