HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
curryalso

Allergic reaction to taxotere

I had a severe allergic reaction to taxotere on my second treatment of TCH. Have had 4 doses of herceptin and those were fine. First TCH treatment was OK my second caused breathing problems & spike in blood pressure.

Now my oncologist is suggesting a new regimine of CMF.
Has anyone else had this treatment? What can you tell me about it
curryalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Laurel

Re: Allergic reaction to taxotere

Curryalso,

I have no experience with CMF, but I believe it is given frequently in Europe, and less so here for BC. Hang tight and someone will respond to your question. Our Euro friends are in bed at present, so look for their replies around lunchtime (est).

I do hope you are able to continue on with a regime that is not so toxic for you. Take care. Wishing you all the best.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Rich66

Hmmm...are they talking about CMF w/o Herceptin? I would think the Herceptin would go along with whatever traditional chemo regime you switch to.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Ellie F

Hi , just read your post. CMF is very common in England and is reported to be very effective. A number of women at the breast clinic are currently on a regime of 4 CMF followed by 2 taxotere with herceptin, then herceptin alone for 12 months. This seems to be preferred to AC followed by TH here at present.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
curryalso

They are talking about CMF and herceptin. I will know more on Tuesday. Just wondering about the CMF treatment. Haven't heard much about it. Hope it is something that is effective.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
harrie

My friend had her 2nd tx of taxtere and severe breathing problems. they attributed it to administering it too fast. I don't believe it was considered an allergic reaction and the tx was not discontinued.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Ursula

CMF is not that common, not at least in Finland. If someone is allergic to the solvent of Taxotere, they often try with Taxol. It's effective chemo too, "grandma" of taxanes.

Ursula

Diagnosed 05/07 at age 42
Ductal Invasive Carsinoma Gr III, Stage IIIB:
Primary tumor 35 mm, secondary 21 mm
Node positive 13/23
Er/Pr negative (15 % /15 %)
Her 2+++
Ki-67 80 %
Mastectomy and node evacuation (rt) 05/07
3 x Taxotere + Herceptin (9 weeks)
3 x CEF
6 x Neulasta during chemos
23 x rads
Celebra for joint and PMS pain
NED
Ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Ursula
This message has been deleted by Ursula. Reason: same message sent twice by mistake
Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Rich66

Regular Taxol has the cremaphor solvent that can be an issue. If you can get it, Abraxane (albumin bound) may be an option to emulate the TCH. You could get a weekly (lower) dose and that might help too. CMF would probably be good in a metronomic fashion for low toxicity. Again, you should be able to continue the herceptin part either way.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
curryalso

I'm meeting with my oncologist on Friday and he will explain the course of treatment we'll take. Thanks for the info you've given me.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
SoCalGal

I also had a problem with taxotere. After 4! infusions with no problems, about 10 minutes into my fifth I started to feel like I was going to pass out. Could only get the words, "somethings wrong!" out - and luckily my wasband immediately shut my drip and called the nurses. I felt a tightness, shortness of breath, and just a creepy weird feeling that I was going to black out or die. Meanwhile, once the drip stopped, I recovered on my own. This was many years ago - they may have given me some benedryl. I did not have any epinephron (sp?). And one of the toughest things I ever had to do was to start that drip again. We started it SUPER slowly and I finished my treatment. I think that I used benedryl after that and we slowed down the speed. Did your reaction start within the first 15 minutes? I also have them slow down my herceptin. If they drip it any faster than over 45-50 minutes I cannot catch my breath. And last, I had CMF in 1996 so I know this regime has been around for quite some time.
Good luck!
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
DianneS

Ursula,

I was reading your signature and noticed you are 15% ER and PR and you live in Finland. I am weakly ER positive, so I assume I am less than 15% but my onc here in Canada is saying I should try either an AI or Tamoxifen. I was just curious to know if your doctor had recommended hormone therapy and if not, why not?

Thanks,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
DianneS

I had taxotere with carboplatin and herceptin. I also had an allergic reaction to the taxotere within about 10-15 minutes of infusion - every time. They tried mixing up different pre-meds and that helped, but my infusions took 10 HOURS because they had to go so slow. They did infuse the taxotere along with saline and that seemed to help. My last infusion (#5.5) we thought we had it figured out but my bronchis went into a spasm, and that's when they infused the saline along with the taxotere. Nasty stuff.

I have heard & read that there is some synergy between carboplatin & herceptin and that TCH is a good regimen, if you can handle the taxotere. I could not do 6 sessions

Good luck,
Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
curryalso

I had my first dose of CMF (actually I start the C (Cytoxan)
in oral form today 175 mg. a day for 14 days. I'm getting Herceptin every 2 weeks. I tolerated it well - just hope I'll do ok on the oral medication. It is a 28 day regime. CMF & Herceptin week one. CMF week two, Herceptin week three. Rest week four. Then we start again for 5 more rounds.

It's scary to start a new drug when you've had a reaction to treatment. Afraid it will happen again.

Better learn to toughen up.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
ammebarb

Hi Curryalso. I am reading and writing to the group because my sister was diagnosed HER2 positive, but I am also a breast cancer survivor of 26 years (No testing for Her2 back then). I had a right modified radical mastectomy and a year of CMF chemo on a three week cycle all those years ago. It was a quite common chemo regimen a long time ago, but isn't give so much these days--according to my sis's chemo nurses. I tolerated it pretty well, with a few of the common side effects. I also took Vincristine with it and some prednisone. I wish you well with this treatment.....I've always been glad I did it---It has served me well!

Barb A.
ammebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
crabbiepatty44@yahoo.com

Today i went in for my 2nd chemo treatment, omg i thought i was dying! When they started my Taxotere in 3 minutes my stomach was bothering me then it all hit me at once, I got really hot like on fire from the inside out couldnt breath felt like i was gonna explode!!
Like i was just shutting down! My poor husband is gonna have nightmares cause he said my face was so bad, my face & ears were blood red,my ears swelled up and my eyeballs were poppin out of my head and my blue eye color was all white. The nurses stopped it right away and gave me steroids through the iv,put me on oxygen and kept an eye on me. That was the scariest thing i've ever gone through in my life!! My first treatment wasn't bad i had one small hot flash and then after neulesta shot had been in terrible pains in bones and muscles from waist down. So anyway we did not continue treatment I have to go back next week and they are gonna try Taxol instead with the Cytoxin. I guess we will see how it goes.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
Rich66

Patty,
That sounds awful!
If your onc wants to continue the taxane route, maybe you could ask for Abraxane..a newer form of Taxol with less potential for reactions.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #17
harrie

Did you by any chance take any steroids the day before, as well as the day of tx, and the day after? Steroids help cut down on the reactions.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
Lori R

Curryalso,
Another thought....I had taxotere+Herceptin and fared well. I used Abraxane for a 2nd round of chemo when I had a recurrance. Supposedly, the Abraxane is coated with an element (alubium??) that makes it less toxic to non-cancer cells. I certainly found Abraxane to have few side effects than the Taxotere.

Another option that you might want to explore with your onc.

Sorry that things started off on a rocky road. The waiting for the next step is the worst part..you will get this figured out and back back on a smoother road to recovery.

Good Luck and lots of hugs...Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote