HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #41
MAB1943

thank you so much for the wise words. it really does help to know there are others who do understand.
good luck and God Bless you as you battle this malady.
Mary
MAB1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #42
MAB1943

Sounds like we really have a lot in common in our thinking. Never thought I'd feel that at my age I would be eliminating those I felt were so close to me, but looks like when I made up my mind to fight the battle, it meant colateral damage too. If people don't understand then it is because they don't wish to understand. It is a hard nut to break but oh well. Ah yes, bc is a lesson in itself. I wish all of you who are going through this event, peace. Sometimes you just have to go it on your own. I have great faith in my onc probably because she herself is a bc survivor, and I truly believe she understands what I am going through. Thank God my husband has not disappointed me too but I wouldn't have expected him to be any different. I believe I will be on this site for quite a time yet as I work my way through it all. I was informed by my onc dr on Friday that I will be on herceptin until the end of March. I will stay positive.
Mary
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #43
Vanessa

I know many of you try to eat well and so do I, but one problem I have is being very sensitive to the steriods. Even when I try my best to eat well, I have very strong cravings for sweets, Cheetos and other non-nutrious foods. I have gained so much weight since I started chemo and when I was on break from chemo I began to lose it very fast, but gained it all back when I started taking them again. Does anyone else have these tremendous cravings and how do you keep from gaining so much weight. I feel like the steroids have so much control over my life and I feel so weak. Any suggestions?
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #44
tousled1

Vanessa,

I get the cravings for the sweets with the Decadron and I just let my body tell me what it wants. I'm fortunate that my weight has remained stable so I'm not going to worry about it. I think we're supposed to be enjoying life and if eating some things that we know we shouldn't is enjoyable then do it. Don't sweat the small stuff. There are bigger battles to fight than gaining a few pounds.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #45
Vanessa

Thank you Kate for the reassurance and I think you are right. I just feel so uncomfortable. I gained 40 lbs during my first chemo, then lost 20. Gained 30 back when I started chemo again. I feel miserable, but my appetite just won't stop. Maybe I worry about my weight in lieu of worrying about my fate, because it does seem like the least of my worries. I hope you are feeling well these days and your treatment is going well.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #46
dhealey

Vanessa, Don't beat youself up about the weight gain. I think the stress of worrying over the weight gain is worse than gaining the weight. Stress can play such havac on our bodies. Eat the best way you can and don't worry about it. Concentrate on enjoying life and laugh alot. That I believe is the best way to defeat this disease.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #47
MAB1943

VANESSA, don't worry about the weight gain. You are going t hrough so much right now and the steroids are horrific. Treat yourself good and indulge yourself. If possible exercise even if it is only 10 minutes 3 times a day of walking. That may help, but I can tell you I was so miserable towards the end of my chemo w/the steroids I actually wound up having to get insulin, my sugars went over 400. My onc kept telling me it was the steroids and chemo and would go back down to normal, but my family dr put me on the insulin anyway. I am still on herceptin and my appetite is too good, but I refuse to worry about something that is out of my control, if I am hungry I eat, and I try to watch what i eat, but nobody knows what it is like unless they are going through it. You will get back to normal but it WILL take time, maybe over a year, but you can do it THEN. Mary