HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 04-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
harrie

Min or no side effects from Herceptin?

I was wondering if there is anyone out there experiencing minimal or no significant side effects from Herceptin?
I would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you.
Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Chelee

Harrie, I just recently finished my yr of herceptin, but I can tell you when I *first* started on herceptin I did notice my stomach would bother me a bit. (But not bad enough to keep me from eating.) Actually it is hardly worth mentioning...that's how little it bothered me. The main thing I would notice is being extremely tired that day of herceptin & about two days afterwards. Plus I did have quite a few headaches due to herceptin.

But strangely enough towards the end of my year I had absolutely no problems at all. It got to the point that my body was so use to it I couldn't even tell I had anything. I would swear the bag was full of water. lol That's how normal I felt. No side affects of any kind. I wasn't even tired like I use to always be. I'd go for my herceptin and feel great.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
harrie

Chelee,

I am so happy to hear of your great tolerance to Herceptin. I have been reading on other threads of women who are reporting many, many significant side effects. I have been on herceptin since end of 1/07 and so far I have some side effects, but I couldn't tell you if it was from my TCH chemo or the herceptin. And the side effects I am having are very manageable. I am keeping my wt down, do notice some tiredness but nothing to keep me from excercising after that week following chemo. I have my last chemo in 3 wks and it will be interesting to see how I feel with just the herceptin. Before getting any treatments, I remember my doctors telling me that herceptin is a very tolerable treatment with minimal if any side effects and so that is what I expected. I was so surprise to read about some of the problems other women are experiencing and in the back of my mind I was wondering if i will also later on.

Thanks for responding to my inquiry.
Harrie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara
Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
harrie

Chelee,

So far, when I go for my herceptin I feel great also! I leave the facility, go grocery shopping, clean house, maybe go to yoga later or walking. "maybe" a few days later I might feel something, like vague tiredness, but not really sure of that. It just gave me a startle when I read about others getting such bad side effects.
It was great to hear how well you are doing.

Harrie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara
Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
hutchibk

Harrie -

I have been on Herceptin for 20 months. For about 7 of those months I was on Herceptin by itself (without additional chemo). I have to say that I have had such an easy time with it. Even in conjunction with chemo. Most of my symptoms (and there aren't many) are chemo based for sure. All I have really noticed with Herc is drippy nose and watery-ier eyes (I have always had watery eyes, allergy sensitive).

Brenda

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
Chelee

Harrie, There are many women that do have side affects from herceptin...but I find more don't then do. (Or so it seems that way to me.) I did TCH also and I know when I was doing all three drugs I couldn't tell which one did what for sure. But I can tell you once I was off the taxotere and carb...herceptin was a piece of cake. I did forget to mention as Brenda said...I did have a runny nose most the time. It gets old to say the least. But again, towards the end of my year even that quit. I think you will find herceptin is like being on pretty much nothing. Its a breeze after you get through your chemo.

It sounds like you are tolerating herceptin rather well already...so I wouldn't worry to much about all the posts you read about women having side affects. We all react so different to these drugs. I can pretty much bet you it will be a breeze for you too. I think you will find being tired is one of the worse side affects the day of herceptin. Other then that maybe the darned runny nose & headache off and on. I am so serious...towards the last 5 months of herceptin...I felt no side affects. It was great. Good luck to you, you will do fine.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Hazel Joyce
This message has been deleted by Hazel Joyce.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Hopeful

Harrie,

I have not had chemo, but 8 months of 3 weekly Herceptin with no noticeable side effects. In fact, the worst time I had was from the pre-meds I got with the first infusion. I got the onc to stop them after that and all has gone fine.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Jean

Happy for you!

Maryanne,
Glad to hear that herception is going easy for you. I had very little side effects from the herceptin. Runny nose, nails not worth much very thin and breaking down to nothing. I think you will find after TC herceptin will be a snap.

I will finish my year very shortly....I was able to exercise and work plus housework and cleaning shopping...etc.

How is the beach? Our weather has finally turned into Spring. Today is just beutiful with the temp in the 70's...too bad for me I am at work.
but my son took my car (a convertable ) is off to the Jersey Shore!

Let us know when you finish your chemo so we can share your joy!
Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
harrie

Thank you everyone for responding to my thread. It makes me feel a whole lot better. I was beginning to get a little concerned like possibly the worst is yet to come. I think I will do just fine. It will be very interesting to see how I feel with the TCH finished. I tell you though, on the days when I get herceptin alone, I feel very normal. Your responses have surely made me more relaxed. Thank you so much.

Harrie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara
Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
janet11

Hi Harrie,

I finished my TCH in January and am on every-3-week Herceptin now. In february, I finally realized that the premed benedryl was no longer putting me to sleep (I enjoyed my infusion naps). Instead, it was giving me 'restless legs' and driving me nuts. So with my onc permission, we stopped doing the benedryl premed before the Herceptin. I noticed NO difference (I STILL have the drippy nose (*laugh*), but no other changes or side effects. I drive myself to my Herceptin appointment, relax and read during it, then go shopping or go back to work. No sides at all.

Good luck,
Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
nitewind

I was beginning to get a little worried when I had no side effects from the Herceptin. I've been on Herceptin alone for four monthes and I'm getting along great. Finished the last of 33 radiation treatments last Friday. I go in for my herceptin once a week and will continue until December. Like I said, I got a little worried that I wasn't having any problems, like maybe it wasn't working. I hear everyone talking about the drippy nose and such and I haven't had any of that. I'm so thankful because I had a bad time with chemo. I guess we just need to have something to worry about or be concerned about, but my onc says everything is going fine. Wouldn't it be great to get thru this part of it without any problems? Let's keep the good thought!!

Hugs
Susan
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Donna

Nada

Dear Harrie,

I have to say that I am having absolutely no effects from Herceptin. It would be fairly easy to pin alot of things on it if I didn't already pay attention to all the little health glitches I had before herceptin, but having done that, I am experiencing no new symptoms whatsoever. Yay!

Have a great day!

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
LisaElder1972

Talking Love my Herceptin!!!!

I have been getting Herceptin weekly since 12/05/06.The only side effects are fatigue and nosebleeds.I have tx on Wednesday and am tired until Friday.Small price to pay for this miracle drug.
LisaElder1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Zoid

side effects

Hi Harri,
I was on Herceptin and Navelbine for 2 1/2 years and my only side effect was feeling a little fatigued at the end of each cycle, but not so fatigued that I couldn't still play ice hockey.

-Susie
Zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #15
harrie

Thank you everyone!!! Very, very encouraging!!!! SO GLAD I started this thread. I really needed to hear of these positive kinds of experiences.

Harrie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
Margerie

Harrie,

I have been on herceptin for over a year now. My only symptoms are weird smelling urine for 24 hours (I don't know why this bothers me the most, but it does), some fatigue the afternoon of the infusion, occasional and unpredictable watery nose (it does make life entertaining). Things that may be herceptin, but could also be arimidex- crappy nails and insomnia.

All and all not a bad deal!

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Mary Jo

Hi Harrie,

I experienced very little in the way of "side effects" from herceptin. The side effects I did experience are hardly worth mentioning. I did have some joint aches, breathlessness at times (mainly the 1st week after an infusion) a bit of gastroinstestinal issues (very minimal effects to that area as well). But really............overall.............I felt really good. More bloated and more trouble getting weight off (lost 17 pounds since herceptin ended in Oct. 06) and most of that came off with in the first couple months since being off herceptin.

Honestly, I didn't find any of it that bad. I don't know why. To be honest with you, I hardly remember much of my chemo. God's way of protecting us, possibly......I'm not sure..........but for the most part I got through it all quite well and feel blessed that I did.

Life is good...................

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #18
skye

Harrie, I just had my 4th Herceptin one week after my last Taxol. So far Herc does not seem to bother me too much. When I had it with the Taxols I got Benadryl but the two times I've had Herc alone, the Herc was given alone. The first sole infusion, I had a rash on my shins but it went away by morning. This time I developed a rash on my hands, but I took Benadryl myself at home and it was gone overnight. I did notice a mild drippy nose, and I was pretty fatigued in the afternoon, but otherwise I'm fine and expect to do well. Compared to AC and Taxol, it has got to be a walk in the park! BTW, I also appreciate this thread as the other one seemed so dire. It's great to know there are plenty of us who tolerate the drug well. - Skye