HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
Margerie

LOL Believe!! You are pretty popular

If it makes you feel any better, I have a friend that went waterskiing with her husband and his boss. She fell while waterskiing, and got back up on the skis. Went A LONG time on the next run and finally dropped off as she was very tired. As they circled around the boat, she noticed her entire naked breast was hanging out the side of the life vest!! It was white and therefore very noticable. It must of happened when she fell the first time, but the water was so cold she didn't notice.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #22
harrie

I got one! I was on a women's adult soccer team. After the game, it is not unusual for us to fly off our sweaty shirts and just go around in a sports bra with our shorts on. Well my friend forgot she was wearing her regular bra and NOT her sports bra and she threw off her shirt after the game!!!!
LOL!!!!!!!

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #23
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Morning My Sunshines!!

Chrisy.....Do tell. I have many more where these come from. This thread is terrific, I am starting my days now reading from 'Taking Your Mind Off BC' threads BEFORE I start my days WITH cancer. It has proven effective many years for me to begin my days with smiles and laughter, a lovely coping skill. By reading these crazy threads I am NOW having twice as many chuckles to start off my mornings and I feel cleansed before I get going. Great job to all and I know this is just a start to many more of life's most embarrasing moments!!>>Believe51!!

NOW COMMA-N CHRISY, SHOW US YOUR STUFF!!
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #24
PinkGirl

This is sort of a long story: There was a mix-up with
some tests that I had done at my cancer centre and
I ended up waiting almost a month for the results of
an MRI on a "suspicious mass" in my liver. I wasn't
in my right mind toward the end of the waiting period.

The day before I got the results (which were good) I
backed our big truck out of the front driveway without
unplugging the block heater. I heard a quiet, little snap
and was relieved that the plug had come undone. I didn't
want to be one of those silly looking people who drive around
town dragging a 30 foot extension cord. When I came home
I decided to park the big truck at the back of our yard behind
the garage. I am not good at "maneuvers" with this truck
so I got all lined up nice and straight (in my neighbours driveway)
and then just shot straight back. Unfortunately, I forgot to
hit the brakes, and I crashed into the closed garage door. My
brother happened to be driving by and he stopped to help me.
He told me not to worry and that he and my husband would
just get some big hammers and smash out the dents. I called
my hubby at work (he was really busy that day) and told him
what I'd done. He said don't worry, you've got a lot on your mind
and then called me back a few hours later and asked me to repeat
the story - he thought maybe he was dreaming. When he came
home for supper it was dark out. He came in the house carrying
some big black plug with all these colourful wires hanging out
of it. He told me he found this thing in the front yard. Oops, I
guess the block heater cord hadn't unplugged itself - I had ripped
the plug right out of the block heater wires and all. Then he went
in the back yard with a flashlight to look at the garage door. He came
in and said he thought the door was "toast". I told him, no, no, my
brother says you can fix it with a hammer. He gave me one of his
leary looks - I called my brother - he laughed, said the door was
definitely toast - he just didn't want to make me feel bad.

We hired a "handy" friend to fix everything, and he told me to
call him the next time I was waiting for test results - he could
use the money. The next day my onc. called and said all my
tests were fine. It was an expensive and embarrassing wait.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #25
Margerie

LOL Pink girl I just blogged about my latest car mishap. Of course I am done with treatment, maybe I can blame residual chemo brain.

http://margerie-margerie.blogspot.co...-mercedes.html

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #26
Kathy S in Tokyo

Location: From Syracuse, NY but living in Tokyo, Japan for 26yrs
Dressing up has so much potential for embarassment. My mom was so pleased when I got an invitation to the annual Junior League Cotillion when I was 14. Selected young ladies from area schools could enjoy dinner and dancing with selected young men from other schools and practice our party manners with a hall full of Junior League women chaperones. My mom decided that I wasn't the "pretty in pink" type and would look much better in a cream colored camisole and a sleek wrap-around black Danskin skirt and pumps. My friends were all a little jealous of my cosmopoltan look over the ruffles their moms made them wear and I was lucky to be asked to dance by a nice young man who was actually a good dancer and leader, making me look like a good dancer as I followed his lead, spinning and dipping and all. My friends of course were all tsking and clucking about the fact that I'd abandoned our dinner table to dance with a strange boy from another school but seemed to enjoy the event. Halfway through the twist they all had a great laugh when I stepped on my hem and left the skirt on the floor. I just picked it up on the next twist down and tied it back on without missing a step. I was surprised the Jr. League invited me back the next year after my strip show.
11/2005 Clavicle & neck lymph nodes mets
30 Days rads, 7 months CEF-T Chemo
6/2006 mid chemo lung mets oral toremifene
10/2006 changed hospitals
12/2006 Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex
2/2007 Dramatic growth of mets! Stopped Tamoxifen and Zoladex
3/2007 Began weekly Herceptin
6/2007 Added weekly Taxol to regime
4/2008 More lung mets - stopped Taxol
5/2008 Xeloda - 3 weeks on 1 week off
8/2008 Got a port!
9/2008 Stopped Xeloda, started weekly Navelbine
12/2008 Tumor progression, stopped Navelbine
1/2009 Taxotere begins again, once in every three weekly Herceptin IVs
3/2009 Added Zometa pelvic bone met, lung tumors progressing, stopped Taxotere/Herceptin
4/10/2009 Whoa seizure! 6cm&3cm brain mets. craniotomy and gamma knife surgery 5/15/2009 Started
Adria/Cyto stopped 9/15 due to progession. Brain mets back 10/28 surgery more gamma soon

Last edited by Kathy S in Tokyo; 02-29-2008 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Kathy S in Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #27
Kathy S in Tokyo

Location: From Syracuse, NY but living in Tokyo, Japan for 26yrs
Oh, and there's the time I answered the door to the mailman who had a package that needed to be signed for. Actually, here in Japan we use a little red stamp with our name in Chinese characters to "stamp" for packages. I'd just nursed my week old daughter to sleep and was a little sleepy myself when the doorbell rang. The postman looked a little uncomfortable as he explained that he needed me to stamp for a package. I asked to to wait while I went and got the red stamp that we use. When I bent over to stamp the receipt, I discovered that my shirt was wiiiiiiiiide open and I was braless. My greatly enlarged milk jugs were out there in the breeze! I gave the postman an "Ooops, sorry" and he gave me a big smile. My husband still wonders why the postman cheerily greets me by name when we are out doing errands.
11/2005 Clavicle & neck lymph nodes mets
30 Days rads, 7 months CEF-T Chemo
6/2006 mid chemo lung mets oral toremifene
10/2006 changed hospitals
12/2006 Tamoxifen and monthly Zoladex
2/2007 Dramatic growth of mets! Stopped Tamoxifen and Zoladex
3/2007 Began weekly Herceptin
6/2007 Added weekly Taxol to regime
4/2008 More lung mets - stopped Taxol
5/2008 Xeloda - 3 weeks on 1 week off
8/2008 Got a port!
9/2008 Stopped Xeloda, started weekly Navelbine
12/2008 Tumor progression, stopped Navelbine
1/2009 Taxotere begins again, once in every three weekly Herceptin IVs
3/2009 Added Zometa pelvic bone met, lung tumors progressing, stopped Taxotere/Herceptin
4/10/2009 Whoa seizure! 6cm&3cm brain mets. craniotomy and gamma knife surgery 5/15/2009 Started
Adria/Cyto stopped 9/15 due to progession. Brain mets back 10/28 surgery more gamma soon
Kathy S in Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #28
madubois63

There are so many moments in my life that qualify for this thread, but I love this one...I was 16 at the time and clothes/make-up were my life. My best friend and I decided to take a "modeling" class at A& S (Abraham & Strauss - Macy's competition). The class was taught by a professional model and after several weeks of make-up, hair and fashion tips, there would be a big "runway" show at the store. I was so excited and thought this would be the start of my career...Everyone had to choose 2 outfits to wear for the show, one sporty and one dressy. I was 5' 7", had long brown curly hair and was thin at the time (oh, so looong agoooo). My sister (5 years older) took me to the store and we tried on every outfit in the store before deciding on "THE" outfits to wear. My best friend picked a pretty frilly "gunny sack" dress (like the old fashioned prairie dresses), but my sister and I went straight to the evening wear department and picked out this incredible black lace, slinky thing...I was chosen to go last...supposed to be the finale - gonna wow the crowd in this amazing dress. I'm thinking I am hot shit! We modeled the first outfit, then ran back stage to change. Make-up was great, hair was great...everything perfect. I put the dress on and my sister's borrowed shoes...amazing spiked heal strappy things...I came out of the room (carpeted) stepped out on the newly waxed slick floor and heard everyone gasp. I was the hit of the show!! But, I realized as my spiked heals hit the floor, I was sliding out of control and just about couldn't stop - ugh!!! I felt like my eyes were popping out of my head and all these unpleasant images were running through my head. Somehow I caught my footing and didn't go down. I was crushed. My career was up in flames...Later, everyone told me I looked like an angel just floating across the floor - LOL. Somehow, no one knew that I was truly out of control. I still laugh about that moment and appreciate the opportunity to share....
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #29
madubois63

Oh, oh oh...I thought of a great ONE!! I have told this one before, but many of you may not remember or may not have read it. During my first bout with the beast, I was in a new relationship. We had started dating one month before being diagnosed. My boyfriend was amazing. Took me to treatments, and didn't care that I had lost my hair. One weekend, we went upstate to go skiing with his 3 kids and my 2. I had spent the whole week, trying on hats, and scarves worrying about my wig and keeping it on during the trip. I finally figured it out and had learned how to tie the scarves just just. We drive upstate, and hit the slopes. I am not a good skier at all and NEVER said I was. My kids were off taking lessons, and most of Johns kids went off and did their own thing. John and his oldest son, Casey, were dragging me off to this one mountain. I kept telling them to go off without me and I would catch up. I was a bit winded (was doing adrio and cytoxin at the time), but I stupidly got on the lift. The ride up was beautiful. I was enjoying the scenery...We got to the top, the bar went up on the lift, my scarf got caught on the bar and my wig went up with the bar!!!! I FREAKED OUT. I retrieved the wig, but could not ski after that. Rescue had to come and take me down the hill on a sled!! I was sooooooooo embarrassed, but I DID truly enjoy the ride down the mountain - LOL!!

John and our families spent the rest of the winter skiing, while I read my books and drank hot chocolate in the lodge each weekend!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #30
Bill

Red face

Those are all so funny! You all have me laughing and grinning like crazy. (with you, not at you). CHRISY! You better tell soon...we have been waiting patiently....the madcap in me is growing restless, we'll give you a few more days, and then I might have to post your embarrassing moment for you. It might go something like this, "Hello, Ladies, Chrisy called me on the phone last night and wanted me to make this embarrassing post for her, it seems that when she was 19 and a freshman in college, she and a friend flew up to a concert in Vancouver, and the next thing you know they ended up in a motel room doing Tequila shots with Gordon Lightfoot and his band. Now, here's the embarrassing part......" In other words, Chrisy, what we are imagining is probably worse than your actual post. Tell, Chrisy, tell all. I'm trying to think of other times I've been embarrassed, but I don't have any. Well, maybe when I said Andi was a "hot flasher", yeah, that one. And maybe when I yelled at Harrie 'cause she was sounding too happy out in the warm Hawaian sunshine, that one, too, I guess, oh yeah, that's right, and the time I carried on about Lady Pink saddling up her sled dogs and riding them up to the lake, only she doesn't have any dogs, only a truck that she drives a few feet too far, sometimes. Maybe I'm embarrassed more than I thought.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 AM   #31
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Talking Well All I Can Say Is....

I have many more little stories but one I must have the time to set the scene of the "The Most Embarrassing Event" of my lifetime!! Guess I am just not ready for that one. I do think, Bill, that Chrisy will come around after I tell her that story. In the mean time you betta (my RI accent) start thinking about some moments 'cause I know you got 'em>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #32
chrisy

Missing last call or full moon over Palatine

Well Believe, I think you may have taken the heat off! Thanks!

You really didn't have to go throwing yourself under the bus for me like you did, because after reading Bill's guess and realizing that people might think I did something MORE embarrassing than drinking tequila shots with Gordon Lightfoot and his band in their hotel room, I decided to stop that madness once and for all!

My only concern is, I don't want y'all to go thinking you have to one up me on this because I think one such story is probably enough. But I'm worried because Gerri's minor garter belt mishap quickly begat a flood of wardrobe malfunction confessions!

My MEM is also from my younger, wilder days. I think I might have more recent embarassing moments, but maybe I just don't care anymore!

My sister and I used to frequent a pub called Durty Nellies West Irish Pub (not the one in San Antonio, the one in Palatine, IL). It was a nice old place with a lively bar in the front, and an even livelier room in back where they had live bands. We never missed a night when our favorite band was playing and naturally closed the place down so we wouldn't miss a moment of fun.

The only bad thing about Nellies was that there were only 2 small bathrooms, one for men and one for women. Ladies, I know you can relate to the waiting in line...but at least you could still enjoy the music while waiting! One night my sister and I had been enjoying our favorite band and a....couple of beers. I might have gotten a little overhydrated.

Last call came and went, the band played their encore and then the lights came on. Well, last call is one thing, but the lights coming on is quite another! Once the lights are on, everybody must leave - regardless of one's position in the bathroom line!

So you guessed it, we had to leave with me in my seriously overhydrated condition. There being no other options at that hour of the morning, I did what any other modest lady in need would do - I discreetly dipped down in front of the car (which was parked head in to a hedge) and dropped my drawers. And my sister did what any late night barfly eager to get home would do...she jumped in the car, started the engine, and flipped on the headlights!

Lucky for me, I think she was the only one who saw the full moon in the parking lot that night, but it is always nice to have a story like that to hang over her head!

See, that wasn't so embarASSing after all!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #33
Believe51

Red face Okay Chrisy....

I give up. When moving out of town for a while, my son Jason and I would take the bus to our new place so we could paint and whatnot, he was 4 at the time. Being busy studying for college finals I was a bit predisposed reading my books during our ride. The driver said to sit in the seats reserved for handicapped patrons so we did not have to stand. Right in front I must add!!. The bus was going to an area that was heavily populated by the Jewish community; gorgeous homes, pleasant neighbors and I was going to be a part of it. We were so excited to be moving here and leaving our very noisy town, we could not wait. Jason was educated about the differences in religions since he was a smaller tyke and knew the basics. I wanted him to always grow without prejustice and be a non-judgemental person with a basic understanding of people......(just setting the stage)

Jason asked me for a piece of gum since he never went into my purse. This day was important for me because I had to keep my 4.0 GPA and I was already in advanced placement. Busy as I was I told him that he could go into my purse and grab his own piece of gum.

Still with my head in the books I never noticed what he was doing. Before I looked down at him he beckoned me once more. A tad frustrated about the disturbance again, I looked over to see what he wanted.

He had grabbed my diaphram out from its container, placed it on his head and replied:
"Look Mom, I am Jewish!!" He was smiling since he was just showing off some of that basic knowledge!! He was so proud of himself and just wanted me to be proud too!! I just wanted to cry as this busload of working people, mostly Jewish, starred. Ohh, shuttering to remember this again...LOL.

Til this day I still get embarrassed thinking about this story, but I DID PROMISE CHRISY I would fess up. Everything turned out terrific, I passed my exam and kept my 4.0, remaining on the Dean's List. Jason grew up and expanded his understanding of religions, he turned out to be the person I was hoping he would be....non-judgemental, not prejusticed and very accepting. And joy, I am still here to talk about it!! Uggh!

Hope I have not offended anyone here today, this was from a 4 year old boy and a mom that only wanted one!! Just a small chapter in the story I call my life. Now please do not look at me differently...LOL>>Believe51

PS: First thing I did after I came home from my hysterectomy was throw that dang thing out.....but I did it laughing!!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #34
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Who Was That Bald Woman???

This tale is nebulous. Perhaps more harrowing than embarrassing. Perhaps not. I was midst my first chemo. Bald of course, and dragging my butt. But we'd had a major snowstorm. We lived on a big, steep hill and had a circular driveway plus a regular driveway (on ground level so to speak) that ran all the way back to the garage that was tucked under the master bedroom. It's '95. The plow man didn't show. No surprise. I kept calling. Leaving messages. I did not want Paul (who'd had a heart attack in '85) to come home and shovel! And I knew from living in Dix Hills for 29 yrs that if you didn't get down to the blacktop driveway w/the first snow, managing to get to the mailbox or the spot where the garbage pails had to be left (at the bottom of our HILL AND HALF) was a seriously dangerous mission!

So midst Adriamycin and CMF, I put on a secure scarf hat over my bald head (leaving my wig hanging on a hair spray bottle in the house). I shoveled -- downhill -- making two lines for car tires to travel easily, and for anyone to use to walk up or down. I cleared a path over the two railroad tie steps and the brown brick front porch area, allowing anyone to make it safely from a tire track to the front door. THEN, I got out one of my multiple (collected) snow salt bags and, w/gloves, covered every spot I'd shoveled. Yes, I was panting, but the knowledge that Paul's father had died at the age of 47 from heart disease -- and shoveling snow! -- kept me motivated.

I went in, freshened up, put on my wig, my mandatory earrings of the day and waited by the front door (inside) for Paul to drive up to the top of the hill to pick me up -- so we could go out for dinner. I thought I looked pretty good for a person who'd just been dx w/4th stage bc, had a mastec and was making my way through shock and awe chemo. My silky terrier (Jezebel) waited by my side. Finally, Paul arrived. I threw my coat and glasses on and stepped outside. When I got to the first step I had my first encounter with BLACK ICE! I skidded and slid, both my feet went up into the air as I slipped right off that step. I came crashing down and got a karate chop (just like in the movies!) to the back of my neck by that icy railroad tie. I was literally stunned. Paul rushed to my side, My poor baby! My arms were frozen up above me and I could not speak. I told my arms to move down. They did not stir. Finally, garbled, thick-tongued words, I groaned, NO... I'M NOT... The sound of my voice scared the heck out of me. I was talking like a drunk! Paul helped me up to a sitting position.

Here's the funniest part of this story. I noted that Paul was holding something in his hands, at my eye level, as I was seated, and I was trying to make it all out. I had fallen w/such force, Paul had gallantly retrieved my -- wig, my earrings and my glasses, which had flown off my head with the jolt! All I could think was how lucky I was that I wasn't in a public place for all to see what happened to this poor bald-headed woman. It was like the final insult. But I could have been utterly mortified. From then on I wore a long scarf wrapped around my head and wig, tied under my chin. The vision of a bald woman chasing her windswept wig down the street haunted me for a good year. Each time I'd catch up to the bouncing wig, it'd fly ahead just out of my reach. The image is quite funny. If the woman isn't YOU!

What do you want to do? Should I take you to the hospital? Paul was beside himself. I knew I could have had a concussion. I decided right then and there NO MORE HOSPITALS! I will stubbornly and simply *survive* it all -- the ca, getting knocked unconscious for a few seconds, et al. I just wanted to crawl (safely) into the house and get into bed. Paul followed me, carring the *items* in for me...

That's my harrowing tale, which for some reason I associate w/embarrassing moments. Of course, I have lots more... Who doesn't???
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #35
Believe51

Talking Andi...

Bill!! LOL>>Believe51
Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #36
PinkGirl

I've got another one - but it won't stand up to the diaphragm/yarmulke story, the bald lady sliding on the black ice, or Chris' moon into the headlights.

Mine is more of a "stupid, not thinking" story. I was working in the office of a building/supply business. They were short staffed one Saturday and asked me if I would work and be willing to fill in during the lunch hours. I said, sure.

Two of the big bosses from our head office showed up that day. I said hello and continued on working. Then my husband came in to buy something, so I went over to him to "serve" him. He wanted to buy some of that really thick, heavy rubber baseboard, so I pulled out the roll, measured it off, held it right in front of my stomach, and pulled the box cutter straight through and into my stomach.

I was wearing a belt that must have acted like a tourniquet because the blood squirted out of me like a fountain. I started to laugh and put my hand on it to stop the bleeding. My husband was not impressed. I saw the two big bosses looking at me and I tried to stop laughing but I couldn't. My husband motioned me toward the washroom and we went in together.

This is where I wasn't thinking straight. He looked at my cut, which he called a laceration, and pulled the skin back and showed me that he could see about 3 layers. He insisted I go to the hospital for stitches. All of a sudden I felt weak in the knees. I had looked at the cut and now I was feeling sick.

So I came out of the washroom with my husband's arm around me and realized that the big bosses are thinking that I went into the john with some customer. They didn't know my husband. I smiled, sort of introduced them all, and they sighed a big relief. Then I went to emergency for the stitches and got a few strange looks. I had forgotten that it was Hallowe'en and I was dressed up as a pirate. I had my hand over a large circle of blood and the tight belt was holding my plastic sword. I even had a stuffed parrot sewn onto my shoulder. I got my stitches and a tetanus shot and went home.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #37
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink RIOTOUS! Best laugh I've had in a long time...

Hey Pink! Listen, matey, don't sell yourself short. The incident you described -- topped off by the vision of you with a stuffed parrot sewn onto your shoulder and the plastic sword hanging from your belt and the blood gushing is quite hilarious. Unfortunately, it wasn't fake blood. Wish you'd had a patch over one eye to boot.

Plus Chrisy's moonshine! In the headlights, spotlighted!

And Marie! I can't even speak. 4 yr old Jason w/the diaphragm on his head. Look Ma, I'm Jewish. And no place for you to hide.

Just brings to mind, my dghtr's friend (mother of 4) was sitting on the bed, reading. Engrossed. Her youngest, age 4, comes to her side, Mommy... Not now, honey. Just a minute. She finishes reading the paragraph, w/interruptions every few seconds. Finally, Mommy, you need this. She looks up -- and sees that he has removed the entire computer and is standing there holding it out for her. DON'T MOVE... Can you imagine? Off topic, but funny enough to stick in here w/other 4 yr old dramas I think.
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #38
PinkGirl

Smile

Oh, I had the complete costume. Had a colourful
bandanna wrapped around my head, an eye patch,
some of my teeth were blackened out, a white
silk shirt, some gawdy looking gold chains around
my neck, my parrot, my sword, a dagger, black pants
pushed inside some high boots - I was a pirate, and
I ended up completing the "look" with the blood.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
1 year of Herceptin
Arimidex for 5 years

My Photo Album
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #39
Bill

Wink

Wow, girls, it was supposed to be MEM's, not "potentially serious injuries thread", you guys, you guys. I guess I should have known better. A man can barely keep one woman in line, let alone a whole roomful of crazy, wild-ass warrior women. (Can I say ass here? I can't remember for sure, but I thought someone did earlier and got away with it. Her name started with a C, I think, anyhow, if there's a problem, see my apology thread.)
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #40
Bill

Cool got embarrased last week

Ok, this might be kinda rambley and disjointed, and I didn't want to post it all, because it involves pain, (my pain) and you all have gone through so much more than I have. I almost posted last week regarding how you could tell the difference between a cracked rib, a bruised rib, or a bruised liver, but I didn't. I'm better now, but here's what happened.....My youngest son, Zach, 18, moved in with me about 2 weeks ago. I wrestled for 7 years, and then coached for 6. A few years ago, Zach was a freestyle state champ and place third in Greco-Roman wrestling and as a freshman in high school, upset the #1 guy in our region. (Hope your eyes aren't glazing over at this point, just setting the background) I have dabbled in martial arts as well, and taught both of my boys, and my daughter as well, how to defend themselves. Anyhow, last week, I'm sitting here on this website acting up, eating salmon and spinach, while Zach is in the same room lifting weights, and doing crunches and doing some of the "secret workout moves" I've taught him. It's almost midnight and I've got to get up at 6:00 AM. I say, "Well, Bud, I'm gonna turn in", and Zach says, "You wanna wrestle?" I exhaled, and said "sure", went back and threw on some wrasslin' clothes. We agreed that we would only do standup work, no shots on the legs, no throws, just working for upper body advantage and arm pins and stuff. Keep in mind, this is all taking place in my wall-to-wall carpeted living room. Also, I'm 5'10" about 180 pounds, 45 years old, and Zach is about 5'7" 140 pounds but 18 and nothing but lean muscle. We shook hands, and locked up. I grabbed his head, he grabbed mine, and I immediately went for a "Russian tie-up", I'm sure you all know what that is. Then, 15 seconds into the match, he shot down on my right leg and had it up off of the floor in no time, and I realized our ground rules were out the window. We went at it full tilt for about 45 seconds and then I managed to get back to a neutral position, and shot in on his leg, torqued it up and tried to work him down to his back, but then the next thing I know, we're in an upper body tussle and rolling over the back of the couch, each trying to twist the other onto their backs as we sail through the air, but we hit on our sides and Zach instantly whirled on top and crunched my ribs with a tight-waist and drove me into the mat/wall-to-wall carpeting as he was trained to do. This on the floor grappling went on for about a minute more until I was able to twist on him and then we both stood up in a neutral position. I could feel both elbows and knees burning and probably bleeding, and we're both standing there, with our hands on our knees, out of wind, and Zach says, huffing and puffing, out of breath," that.....might..be..enough of a workout for now..." I looked at him and said, as I huffed and puffed, too, "No, let's go one more round" (I wanted to let him know he'd been in a match) We went one more round and mainly stalled against each other and broke even, but if we had had a referee, Zach would have beaten the heck outta me. We shook hands, hugged, said good match and then I stumbled off to bed, and I noticed that my knees and elbows didn't burn anymore, 'cause my ribs hurt so bad. "Oh, well, everything will be better in the morning", only it wasn't. I got up a little late, jumped in the shower, and hit the road. When I got to work, I noticed people looked at me a little funny and I told them the story of mine and Zach's wrestling match and how I "schooled him" and put him in his place. Then I noticed Margerie, our dispatcher, rubbing her fore-head with her index finger, and she said, "Bill, you've got a rug-burn the size of a silver dollar on your fore-head. I think you got schooled." Without a word, I turned and went into the men's room, and sure enough, there it was, the evidence of where my son drove my head into the carpet. I explained to him that night that the rematch would be different.