HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > General Cancer News
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

General Cancer News Latest Breast Cancer News from Moreover Technologies

Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
News

Opioids may influence breast cancer survival

A new study in the April issue of Anesthesiology analyzed inherited (genetic) differences in how the body responds to its own morphine-like chemicals and pain-relieving opioid drugs, and whether they influence breast cancer survival. Preclinical animal studies have suggested that opioids may promote tumor growth.

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Firework

Question Re: Opioids may influence breast cancer survival

.....I'm confused. Does this article imply that being treated with opioids regularly is harmful and, according to this study, may be promoting tumor growth? Or do they mean our bodies "natural" pain producers?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Sohip

Exclamation Sohip

I’m not sure where you are getting your ionfrmation, but if you do test positive for the gene it is illegal for any insurance company to use this as a preexisting condition, to deny coverage or to base the cost of coverage under HIPAA. They also do not have the right to decide if you have a bilateral mastectomy or not. That decision is up to the patient period.The doctors I work with recommend the person already diagnosed with Breast cancer get the test first, because if they do not have the gene there is no reason for anyone else to be tested. If you are still concerned and you are paying for the test yourself I suggest you have it done under an alias so there is no way the results can be tracked back to you. This is common practice when working with famous and/or celebrity patients and your doctor should have no problem with it. If you do choose this route however, be very careful about keeping you paperwork as you may have a difficult time should you need copies later.EDIT: Okay, well I have received mine from a physician who spoke at a cancer meeting at UCLA. So after seeing your response I did a little searching and found it is not as clear cut as I thought, partially because it has also not been tested in the courts. There is also another point not brought up here regarding employers. I posted a link to one of the most current documents on found on the Department of Health and Human Services website so that you can read it over. Apparently this problem has been discussed for 8-10 years now and I read doing this search that Bush was supposed to sign a bill regarding this, but it did not list the bill number and did not read confirmation that it was signed. Hope this helps a little.I would go the alias route.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Firework

Re: Opioids may influence breast cancer survival

Opioids may influence breast cancer survival
A new study in the April issue of Anesthesiology analyzed inherited (genetic) differences in

Sohip,
Perhaps there was another thread you were responding to.......

This topic spurred my question;

how the body responds to its own morphine-like chemicals and pain-relieving opioid
drugs, and whether they influence breast cancer survival. Preclinical animal studies have suggested that opioids may promote tumor growth.

More...