HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
julierene

Life Insurance, can we get more than 4 times salary?

I have State of Illinois life insurance which allows me to have up to 4 times my salary without a physical. Is it correct to assume they will reject me with Stage 4 cancer?
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
SandyBB

One level increases possible at open enrollment.

Julierene, I am in Human Resources in the private/technology sector and for most of these companies, their policy is to allow you to increase your life insurance by one level at every yearly open enrollement. so for example, if you currently have 1 times your salary, during your next open enrollment, you can increase it to 2 times. And the next year to 3 times. Usually, the only other way to increase it at all is to get "Evidence of Insurability" which is to submit a medical questionnaire that your doctor needs to complete. Trust me, you would not qualify. Sandy
SandyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Sherryg683

Life insurance is a sore subject for me. My husband has a general managers position for a huge company... Tyco. Even though I don't work he has always carried 30,000 worth of life insurance on me...not a bundle but at least it's something. He has been doing this for years. This past year when it was time to renew my insurance, he put it on his desk and forgot about it, let it lapse. During that lapse time, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Cancer. I just assumed that I at least had life insurance to make things a little easier financially if I passed. It took him a couple of months into my treatment to confess that he did not renew my insurance when he should have and they turned him down flat when he tried to renew it after my diagnosis. They told him flat out..no way. I dont' know if I will ever be able to qualify for their life insurance again, he didn't question them too much about it. Talk about bad luck and bad timing. It's like that dang TV that's going to go out on you a month after the warranty is up. It also hurt my feelings that he didn't consider my life worth insuring, I know that sounds melodramatic but it's how I felt. I don't think too many companies are going to jump at the chance of insuring us stage IV cancer gals...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Sandy H

I am sorry to hear this happened to you. From my experience I doubt you will be able to get life insurance. However, you need to keep trying. That is how I have
it, is through my husband's employer. I also was able to convert my at work over but the premuims went up about triple and I was upset did not and still don't think this is fair to us!! We did not ask to have this disease. As in your situation I would tell my husband, "honey I am sorry you made a mistake but you are the one that will have to figure things out if I die" and I would not worry about it. Sorry, if I seem cold but we have enough on our plate not to have to worry about finances after we pass and being a man they can managed they may have to work two jobs but they will be able to it. I hope you don't have small children. Take care of your health now, wishing you the best. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Sherryg683

I do have an 8 year old daughter, thats why I've got to beat this damn thing, to raise her. My son is almost 18. My husband has enough money to bury me with no problem, I just felt kind of "worthless" when he said he had forgot to insure me. Then when he said "you are right, the money would have been nice", I got really pissed...lol. I guess he can't win either way...lol..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
StephN

Wink "Untouchable syndrome"

Hi Sherry -
I can very well understand your feelings at being "overlooked" on the life insurance renewal. Maybe it was an inadvertant oversight, but that does not make us feel any better.

Most people do not realize that when it comes out that we have cancer and are in danger of losing our life, we suddenly become seen in a different light by all kinds of people. We are sensitive to the changes in attitude from our friends, family and acquaintences. Even though we have a lot of HOPE for ourselves, we have to survive for a long period of time for people to get back to acting the anywhere like same around us. Or there is always the little formality of asking how we are doing and complementing us on how "good" we are looking. Then the occasion can proceed and the cancer can be forgotten. But there is always the disease inserted into every situation we enter.

Having this come out in a marriage this way, Sherry, drives home this syndrome in an almost shocking way. We need support from our husbands, and not to get to feeling like we are just something like an old golf club that needs repair and forgotten in a corner. We need to feel loved and worthwhile as part of our strength to battle this disease.

Enjoy your little daughter feed off of her love as much as you ever did. She is entering years where you can do even more with her.

Like Sandy says, the money will come from somewhere when it is needed - don't bother your pretty head over it.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote