HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #1
Sheila

Unusual Incident / Trip to ER

Friday, I went shopping at a large "chain" department store. I was in the aisle looking at rugs for my 2 doggies, and I turned around and felt a stab in my L (affected) arm. The blood started flowing immediately...(I seem to be much more of a bleeder on Herceptin/Xeloda)...I reached into my purse to grab a kleenex, then noticed this sharp thick wire sticking out from a bed cpomforted package.....I had found the culprit that caused my puncture wound! I then went to find someone from the store that I could get a bandaid and something to clean the wound with....the next thing I know, I have the store manager, and 2 more employees, one with a camera and one with an alcohol wipe and bandaid. Of course they wer concerned about getting pictures of the wire poking comforter...I cleaned the wound, put the bandaid on and told them that my concern was I have a puncture wound in my L arm, where lymph nodes have been removed...and felt I needed to get it checked to avoid infection. Also, I had not had a tetanus shot in 10 years....the store people laughed and said, "Oh, you'll be fine, just a little puncture!" I called my local GP, and he told me to go to the ER for Tetanus, Antibiotic Cream and Antibiotics....which I did. The ER Docs reitereated the significance of a puncture wound (which are the dirtiest) to a post mastectomy arm and the risks of infection and possibility of lymphydema from this. Like WE ARE NOT EVEN TO GET A SHOT IN THE AFFECTED ARM BUT A PUNCTURE WOUND IS SOMETHING TO BE TREATED PROFESSIONALLY. It was deep, hit the muscle so now I have a huge bruise and puncture wound! I was given Augmenten (kills your stomach & 80.00 ) and Bactroban Cream (whoa, 75.00 a tube) and Tetanus. I called the store to tell them that my insurance will not cover this when they find out it was an accident, and asked what they would like me to do. I don't feel I should have to pay 400.00 worth of bills for something that happened in a store. The became very arrogant and said I was taking it to the extreme, going to the ER (hey its a weekend, no Dr's office open) and getting antbiotics and Tetanus.....looks like it will be a fight to get the bill paid....GUESS NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER HAD CANCER AND LYMPH NODES REMOVED! Am i being unreasonable here, expecting them to foot the ER bill?
Just my advice...if you get a dirty wound to the affected arm, do get it checked, the complications could last a lifetime if you don't! Puncture wounds are the worse, as the ER dr. said, and our infection fighting is compromised due to lack of nodes.....

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
tousled1

Sheila,

No you are not being unreasonable in expecting the store to pay the medical bills. If they don't, I would get a lawyer and pursue it. I'm not in favor of suing people but your case in entirely different. Having breast cancer and having had a mastectomy you have to be extremely careful with the affected arm in order to avoid lymphedema. I hope the antibiotics and cream help prevent an infection. Do write a letter to the manager of the store or call and ask to speak to him/her. If you get no response then I would call the headquarters of the store and speak to someone higher up. Good luck to you.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Barbara H.

Hi Sheila,
I am sorry that had to go through this. The store should readily compensate you for this. If they don't, I would go to the president or owner. Tell them that you are contacting the Better Business Bureau if this issue is not resolved. I have been told that this method can work and save you a lawyer.
Good luck,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Becky

Sheila

You did the right thing about going to the ER. You are right about puncture wounds - they are the worst. We must be very diligent to our affected side forever. You needed oral antibiotics and a good dressing for sure.

The store is responsible for what happened. They just think you are taking things to an extreme because non bc people don't realize how serious any injury to the affected arm is. My 2 cents - they should pay. You should write a very good, informative and even toned letter and include all receipts (copies) of the bills. You should explain what happened and why you needed to be so diligent with this wound (explain the bc/lymph node removal/lymphedema prevention action you took. You could even explain why puncture wounds are the worst for anybody and especially for a woman like you. Then, see their response. If none, follow up with a phone call and after that, you could see a lawyer. Seeing a lawyer from the get go is a pain in the butt when all you really want is a few hundred dollars. Also, they didn't do anything purposefully negligent (like locking exit doors or something like that). They just never noticed the wire which is easy to miss. Now they will look so it doesn't happen again.

Big hug to you.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Montana

As a business owner myself, we all carry insurance for just this type of event. Ask for the name of their insurance carrier...call them and let them know what happened. They WILL pay for this, don't worry.

Sue
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Sandy H

My two cents worth. I worked in a hospital rehab for many years and this included getting billing information for the billing department. We had to ask every patient if this was an accident and where it happened and how. We also took their insurance which meant copying all insurance cards. The billing office would then bill the insurance if they denied because of a third party payer being involved such as homeowner, workmen comp, auto insurance, business, even private pay such as dog bites, falling down stairs or off someone's steps and there are others. The chances of you having to pay these bills is 0!! I doubt if you will need to get an attorney. Like Becky says send them a letter with copies of your bills and tell them you only want your bills paid if not possible then you may have to think of further compensation. Doesn't mean you will do it but make them think you will. You did the right thing is getting this checked out and not waiting. People don't understand the seriousness of lymphedema even some cancer patients. Wishing well and let us know how you make out. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
Sheila

Thanks everyone for all the tips and moral support on this one....that is exactly why YOU are all so important to me and many others....like one big family of sisters...some older, some younger, but all with so much care, concern, love and understanding.....YOU ARE ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
StephN

Unhappy Odd one

Je-e-z-z-z- what a way to ruin a weekend!
Wouldn't want to hurt that cycle riding ability - just joking ...

The advice from others has been good and what I would expect.
You may need a letter from your doctor to the appropriate department to go along with the bills and receipts for meds. This way there is NO doubt of the importance and timliness of your actions to take care of this wound.

(I can't imagine any wires sticking out of a bedding package anyway! Never seen such a thing myself. Maybe a government agency needs to be called in about that??)

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
chrisy

Good Grief! They should have fallen all over you with apologies, gifties, and of course pay the medical bills. I agree with what has been said already - get all your "documents" together, (maybe take a picture of that nice bruised arm!) then once you're loaded for bear, write a comprehensive letter to the store manager, cc the corporate office of the chain. My guess is they will most definitely pay, and without much of a fight. Too bad you had to be subjected to such inappropriate treatment by some poorly trained store clerks and managers. I'm sure this will work out for you in the end, and I hope easily. Like you don't have enough on your plate already!
Take care
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
RhondaH

Smile NO WAY Sheila!!!!

You MAKE them cover it...no matter what it takes to get them to do it. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
G. Ann

Sheila,

Even if you never had BC, a puncture wound due to the store's neglience should be covered by their store insurance. You've received good advice from our group members. All I could think of was to get a note from your oncologist stating the precautions for puncture wounds for your affected arm due to breast cancer and lymph node removal and the life long problems of lymphedema. It might be helpful to alert the headquarters regarding the lack of sympathy and follow-up you've received so far. Thanks for sharing. It's good info for all of us in case we have an injury to seek medical attention for puncture wounds.
G. Ann
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #12
pattyz

If there is ever a time to play the "Breast Cancer Card" this IS IT!!!!!!!!
Go get 'em, Sheila...

big hugs,
pattyz xoxox
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #13
Jean

They will cover it!

Sheilla,
Follow through and what is the name of this store - are they a national outlet
or brand name that we would know of outside your area....others should be aware of their non-caring attitude.....if they are not considering payment you may want to share with them they you will not hesitate to follow through on their behavior in every possible way. I am in charge of an office where we deal with the public also and I have had to have training in dealing with any problems that could arise in the work place for the public while in and out of our corporate offices. They are responsable - what I find most offensive is their "LACK of concern for your welfare. They should consider themselves lucky you are not
having a serious reaction.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #14
koolbreeze

Sheila, you know that the store is liable for this, otherwise they would not have had a camera and been taking pictures of the wire. That is what insurance is for, and regardless if "they" think you needed the additional attention, your doctors can verify that. They will pay up, you just will probably have to be a little forceful.

Good luck. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #15
jhandley

Smile Store should pay

You should definately get them to pay. Hope you recover well.
jackie from Down Under
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote