HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
SusanV

Question Surgery's Over, No Nodes, But PreC -cells?

My lumpectomy is over, and the worst part by far was the guide wires that were placed in the breast prior to surgery... I am recovering just fine. Faster than I imagined. The surgeon just called to report that the nodes were all fine, and the margins were clean BUT he said that there were many "precancerous" cells around the area of the tumors in my breast. He went on to say that I still have many hurdles to get over, and after chemo and genetics testing we may want to meet again regarding the breast.

Has anyone ever received the same news after their lumpectomy? At this point, I would just like to schedule the mastecomy. I didn't ask him about that, my follow up and first meeting with the onc is on the 28th.

Anybody have any thoughts, or maybe more importantly any good questions that I should take with me on the 28th?

Thank you everyone...

Susan V in PA
DX 37
Aug 2006
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
KathyH

great news about nodes

Hi Susan,

I am so happy about your nodes. I hope that means your stage is really low. It sounds like you have DCIS (ductal carcinoma insitu). I am not a medical professional, just your friend. I hope the medical professionals advise you to follow your own thinking and have a mastectomy. I would do it in a heart beat. At our age we have a lot of living to do. I have had a double mastectomy (for cancer in both breasts) and I would do it again in a heart beat to increase my chances of never having to face this disease again. I hope you recover well and rejoice in the good news about your nodes.

Sincerely, Kathy
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
SusanV

Kathy,

Thanks for the words of advice. Especially that you have no regrets about your decisions for treatment. I do have DCIS but invasive...which is why the doc is talking to me about the existing pre-C cells in the affected breast. Still not sure of my staging..... I will find out more on the 28th. Thank you very much...How old were you when you were Dx?

Susan V in PA
SusanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
koolbreeze

Surgery

Susan, I am very glad to hear things went well with your surgery.

I had a mastectomy of my left breast with the tumor. I then ended up having my other breast removed instead of having a reduction. My right breast was too large so had to at least have a reduction, since my reconstructrion failied and so I decided to just remove it instead. That was in Jan 06. I have no regrets and no breasts.

I would ask your doctor what are the implications of the precancerous cells. What happens if you do not have a mastectomy, what happens if you do? Think through all those thoughts running around in your head and capture them on paper. I know that I always was thinking of a bunch of questions for the doctor but when I got there, I forgot half of them. Eventually, I learned to write them down (right when I had them) and bring them with me to my appointments.

Your medical oncologist, your breast surgeon and radiation oncologist (if you have one) can all provide you with information that can help you work through your decision making process.

Best wishes to you. May you find all the right questions and all the right answers to make the best decision possible under the circumstances. Take care and big hugs to you. Linda

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
KathyH

Hi Susan,

Linda's advice was great. I'm sure you have a great medical team that can give you the detailed information you need to make a big decision. In the earlier days of my diagnosis and after a big procedure like you have just had, I had difficulty thinking clearly (well, I probably have difficulty thinking clearly now too but I can't think of a good excuse). When you have had a little time to recover and absorb the information you've been given, I have no doubt you will be more comfortable with thinking about big decisions. I was 39 when I was diagnosed and I had (have) young children. I was stage 3c so there were few decisions to ponder. My treatment was pretty aggressive. If I thought about it all at once, chemo, surgery, and radiation seemed overwhelming. If I just tried to approach things one phase of treamtent at a time one day at a time, it was all manageable. A lot of it is behind me now. I know you will just do great!!

Love and prayers, Kathy
KathyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
kim

Susan,
Great news about the nodes!

I too was diagnosed at 37 and had 2 young children. I also had multiple tumors. I had a mastectomy done and a year later I had my "healthy" breast removed as well. I have no regrets about having this done and it has brought me great peace of mind. I had tissue expander reconstruction done at the time of the mastectomies and later implants put in.

Definitely talk to your doctors, but keep in mind that since the mastectomy is not "medically necessary" at this point them may not be very encouraging of it. You need to make the best choice for you and your family.

A plus of the mastectomy might be that you can avoid radiation--this is definitely something I would ask about.

Hope this helps,
Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
lexigirl

Susan,

I don't have much to add to the great advice you have already received. I am just happy to read that your nodes were negative. Yay!!! Great news!!

Best wishes in your decision making.

Love,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
tousled1

Susan,

Glad that you received the news that you are node negative. As for everything else -- just take it one day at a time.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote