HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Mary Jo

Funy how all Docs do things differently.

Hello all ~

I posted the other day asking how many muga's everyone had. I only had an echo before chemo started and 1 muga after 4 months of herceptin. Now I have only 3 more herceptin's left and I haven't had a muga since the one after 4 months into herceptin. Some I see do it every 3 months and some, like me, only had one. Oh well ~ hope I don't keel over before I'm done. LOL! I'm just teasin' I do feel good and exercise daily so I'm thinking if I had any heart troubles I'd be having some symptoms by now.

It's funny though how different all the docs are. Isn't it? Oh well. I guess we just have to trust who we are with and if we are not comfortable we have to change oncologists. I do like my doc. She is very aggressive and always says to me "you will be fine."

Make it a great day.

Mary Jo
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
sarah

mary jo,
I believe that the protocol is every 3-4 months to make sure your heart is strong enough. It might be nice to have one now or after you finish just to make sure your heart's staying strong. My guess is that your heart level was very high and therefore there was less concern, still it is unusual. Maybe the Genetech site states something about how often tests should be. As you say, you haven't keeled over yet!
good luck,
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
koolbreeze

Different strokes for Different Docs

I think it is sometimes good that all Docs don't do things the same way. I think each person needs to be treated as an individual based upon their particular cancer situation, health needs, emotional needs etc.

For example, I have never had a MUGA but have had an echocardiogram every three months. It seems to give the doctor the right level of information about how my heart is reacting to the Herceptin etc.

I have about 3 more treatments and then should be done with Herceptin. yeah!!! Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Lee

My Onc told me....

....that the recommendation from Genentech was to do a MUGA or echo every 3 months. I think he previously only did them every 6 months or so when his patients had no symptoms, but Genentech revised their recommendation to every 3 months so that's what he does now.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
karenann

I had an echo every three months while going through Herceptin. I just finished with treatment in July and I will have a follow up echo in October.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
cherylynnie

I had a MUGA before I started chemo last October, close to finishing chemo in February, and then just had one in July. It has stayed within one or two points.
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote