HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Susan McQ

Ejection Fraction down

I've had 4 Mugas since I started treatment in Feb '06. All results were in the 60's. I had 5th Muga last month and Onc said the result was 49. I'm scheduled for another Muga in 2 weeks just to see if the results could be inaccurate.

Anyone have Muga result that were wrong? Or had their EF increase with a repeat scan?

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Susan McQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Grace

Don't get discouraged!

Susan,

My first result, 59%, came from a muga prior to herceptin or chemo. Next muga three months later was 64% and the one after that was 63%. Also, during the third muga (63%), the first result was 57% so the tech redid it, and it went up to 63%. My cardiologist told me that results can vary quite a bit. Also, in March 2006 before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, my LVEF was 69%, so my LVEF results, prior to taking any heart-damaging drugs, have varied by ten points.

So, don't get discouraged. This latest reading may be wrong. And even if it's not, cardiologists report that, with herceptin, LVEF usually goes back up when patient comes off herceptin. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Merridith

Hi Susan:

A MUGA is not absolutely accurate. It is accurate within a certain range.

If you have had a sudden drop in MUGA, it could be related to it's accepted standard variability. It will take two MUGAs showing a similar significant drop before it is significant.

If you want to assist in improving/maintaining your MUGA - do aerobic exercise.

The MUGA scan visually measures the amount of blood that your right ventrical can pump. 60% means that your heart pumps 60% of your blood in the chamber with one "pump". That part of the heart muscle is exercised and conditioning is improved if you do aerobic exercise.

To make an improvement you must exercise 1 hour 4 days in 5 days. On the 5th day you can rest. Your rest day is as important as your 4 exercise days. You should also take a rest day the day BEFORE your MUGA so that your heart is rested for the test. You don't need to do vigorous exercise, but you need to maintain your heart rate at around 120 beats @ minute for the one hour time period. It's easiest to keep track of it if you use a heart monitor.
You can "cheat" a little bit by drinking something cafinated just before going to the MUGA - say a coke or a coffee - this might improve it slightly.

Regards
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Susan McQ

no more herceptin

I had a repeat Muga last Tuesday. Med Asst called to let me know that they will be stopping my Herceptin per Dr's orders. She did not give the the EF percentage. My monthly appt with my Onc is on April 3rd. I have to assume that my EF has not increased or has gone down even more.

I have been able to complete 40 weeks of the 52 weeks. I know there have been trial regarding the length of time for taking herceptin. I just hope mine was long enough.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
weekly herceptin thru May 2007 --Stopped herceptin 4/07 due to drop in LVEF. Started Herceptin again 5/07
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Grace

Sorry Susan,

But forty weeks is pretty good; remember the Finher study was only nine weeks and the results were very positive.

Also, it will come back up. Lots of proof for that. The exercise option sounds good; I think I'll do it myself.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
StillHere

My LVEF went back to Normal

Hi Susan
I was symtomatic 6 mos after starting Herceptin. My legs felt like lead and I was becoming short of breath. Had an Echocardiogram of 40. Discontinued Herceptin and my Echo was back up to normal 10 months later. I too am nervous about having to stop Herceptin early. My oncol told me it was important to walk every day. I did not take him seriously. At the time all I could do was work 8 hrs and sleep 10 hrs. I started walking during my lunch hour, but stopped when I was getting behind at work. To all my sisters out there on Herceptin. Please take getting enough exercise serious! It is really important. Your health is more important than any job. Peace, Karen
05/05 Cytoxan & Adriamycin every 3wk x4
08/05 Taxol every 2wk x 4, Herceptin every wk x1yr
10/05 Bilat Mast - my Choice
10/05 3/19 lymph nodes Pos, Stage IIIa
11/05 Rad x 37 Rx, R Brst & Axcilla
02/06 Herceptin stopped (L vent HF 40)
03/06 Started & Stoped Arimidex after 2 mos.-QOL side effects
05/06 Started Tamoxafin
06/06 Bilat Free Flap Reconstruction
12/06 Cardiomyopathy reversed-HF normal
01/07 Bilat Saline Implants
07/07 CA 27-29 steadily rising from 28 in 12/06 to 46 in 7/07
07/07 PET Scan NED, but inflamation at prev surg site.
09/07 Started Femara
10/07 CA 27-29 down to 39
06/08 CA 27-29 down to 32
09/08 Lg joint pain & QOL side effects from Femara, will live w/ to keep CA markers within normal range.
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
MJo

StillHere--- Your post really hit a nerve. You stopped walking because you got behind at work. There is a gym in the building where I work and if I walk around it 12 times I've done a mile. A coworker commented that I would be "sweaty." Yeah. Sweaty and alive. Please put your survival and health FIRST. Sorry I shouted, but I hate it when it seems we feel -- or our company makes up feel -- that we have to put work above all else, including our health.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Becky

Not only that but it has been proved that walking 3-5 hours per week increases survival (21% for ER/PR+, 35% for ER+/PR-, 38% for ER-/PR+ and a whoping 44% for ER/PR-) so get those walking shoes on. A low fat diet study adds to that survival by another 21% but those walking shoes really do it. And the weather is getting good too so all that oxygenation is also a plus.

And the sunshine's vitamin D - just another boost there too. And smiling alot makes you feel better.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
momdeeco

I had an appt. with cardiologist today, regarding my muga of 43%. (Previously 60% 6 mo. ago) He wants to do an Echo (I'm o.k. with that) but also wants to put me on Vasotec. My BP was 102/80. I ask him about repeating the Muga in 6 weeks, but he said no Maugas are very accurate. (Last Herceptin was a week ago, and cannot go back on it. I had 7 doses) Cardiologist didn't even know what Herceptin was. Is this unusual? He will put me on Vasotec, repeat Muga in 4 mo. and then another office visit in 6 mo. Just seems to adding another med that I may not need. When I saw the oncologist she said it wasn't that bad. Of course I'm confused and seems I have to "fight" for everything I think is right. I know I am not a cardiologist, but do alot of reading on this site. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
STAGE 1 HIGH RISK
1.1 CM/NODE NEG
ER-/PR- HER 2 +++ GRADE 3
12/05 PARTIAL MASTECTOMY
1/06 CHEMO AC DD X 6
5/06 RADS X 30
10/06 STARTED HERCEPTIN AFTER 3RD OPINION
3/07 GENETIC TESTING-GENE VARIANT FOR BRCA 1 AND 2
3/07 STOPPED HERCPTIN DUE TO LOW EF
BSO 8/08 (P53 SIGNATURE--PRECANCEROUS CELLS)
11/08---IN A STUDY/MRI EVERY 6 MONTHS/MAMMO EVERY YEAR
momdeeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Grace

Karla--I had an echo last week and the LVEF reading matched what I had with Muga, so I would think the echo, which is less invasive, can confirm if the Muga is correct.

I've been on BP medication for almost twenty years now, including Vasotec, my first med. When I began treatment with herceptin, my oncologist and I discussed what would happen if my LVEF went too low. He said I would be given BP meds, which seemed strange to me, since I'm already taking them, but apparently that's the protocol. My cardiologist, who ordered the recent echo, seemed to know about herceptin and heart toxicity but I know that he also called my oncologist while I was getting dressed.

Since you're uncomfortable with his opinion, will your insurance permit you to see another cardiologist for a second opinion, perhaps after you've had the echo? Good luck in whatever you decide and congratulations on your great BP. I'm envious.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Susan McQ

Saw Onc Today

Well, had an appt with my oncologist today, who reassured me that I will only be taking a break from herceptin. Muga last week went down to 47. I have a repeat Muga scheduled for the end of April. Then I see my Onc the beginning of May. If it doesn't increase enough, then we do the whole thing over again the next month. We will continue to do this until it increases to an acceptable level. Once it increases enough, we will start herceptin again.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
Ora

Stay Optimistic Susan

My Onc took me off herceptin after 6 months because my echo was down to 44%. I am hoping to build back up. He sent me to a cardiologist who put me on Coreg & HCT and told me to exercise but he didn't say how much and foolishly I have been exercising very half-heartedly (no pun intended). I too give too much to work and not enough to me, so I am going to really start working out and walking as the other ladies recommended. You hang in there too and we'll be back on herceptin soon.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:41 AM   #13
momdeeco

Exercise is something I definately can improve on. I think I will wait for the Echo results and take it from there. Thanks for all the support! God Bless all of you!
STAGE 1 HIGH RISK
1.1 CM/NODE NEG
12/05 PARTIAL MASTECTOMY
1/06 CHEMO AC DD X 6
5/06 RADS X 30
Old 04-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
chrislmelb

My score was on the way down so i joined a gym and started to take Coenzme QC10 and fish oil and it didn't drop any further. Good luck

DX Sept 03 age 40 Stage 2B Grade 3 mastectomy (after 2 prior breast conserving surgeries)
"at least" 2.3 cm 3/12 nodes ER+/PR+ Her2+++
8 FEC. Tamoxifen then Arimidex. Ovaries out.
"late" Herceptin for 2 years (18months after chemo) on HERA trial. finished Herceptin Nov 2007.
Multiple bone mets May 2012 and now liver August 2012.
Abraxne, Herceptin and Zometa.
June 2013 Tykerb, Xeloda and Xgeva
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
Susan McQ

EF increased

Well, you know you have had too many tests, when the techs in nuclear medicine recognize you by name and face. (3 mugas - 1 per month for the last 3 months)

Had anther muga this afternoon, this time I asked for the percentage before I left the department. In the last 30 days off herceptin, it has increased to 54% from 47. I'm back in the normal range. WOO HOO!

I see Onc on Tuesday, so we will see if he wants to see it increase more or if I restart herceptin.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Ejection Fractions Boosters

To my favorite people -- Warriors on the path to Survival. Just saw my Oncologist/Healer who specilizes in nutritional supplements. I've followed his guidance in meditation and guided imagery and remain steadily in touch with my Essence, the Soul of my being (since my met in '98 into the liver). I see myself far into the future, well and happy and surrounded by family and friends.

His latest advice for keeping my EJ up to continue on Herceptin (as I have since '98) is to keep my heart strong w/ PERFUSIA 1 daily, Co-Enzyme 100 1 daily, ENADA 5 mg twice dialy and P5P50 (Pure-Encapsulations/better absorbed than B-6) 1 daily. I am also on high blood pressure meds (vasotec and Coreg) which existed prior to BC.

Hope this is helpful to you, as finding a doc/onc who specializes in BC and is an expert in vitamin supplements is a unique find and I feel blessed to be a SURVIVOR with help from various oncs, mastec, 2 rounds of chemo (Adrymiacin in "95 w/8CMF and Taxotere and Herceptin in '98/'99). Been on Herceptin every 3 wks '98-'02, triple dose every 3 wks to present -- with no mets since. EJ 50ish and holding steady, even with pericardial effusion since Taxotere (small) and notlikely to go away they now tell me. Which is fine my cardiologist says.

Stay strong and positive and keep on participating in your own wellness! We must be proactive, ask questions, double check everything and all the while think loving, compassionate, generous, grateful thoughts (which are full of healing energy) and will return to you, in accordance w/an as yet uncodified Universal Law! Swear it's true! Be well. LOVE TO ALL YOU BEAUTIFUL AND BRAVE SOULS, ANDI
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #17
janet11

I had a MUGA scan this morning and Herceptin this afternoon. Midway through the infusion, they got the results of the scan, and came in and shut off the Herceptin. This was a 6 week scan (because my last scan had dropped from 60% to 53%). This one was now at 49%.

I see my onc in 3 weeks and will find out what to do then. I imagine it'll simply be the end of treatment for me since I'm stage 1 and have gotten through 7 months of Herceptin. But will know more in 3 weeks (am on vacation the next 2 weeks... that's why the delay)..

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
momdeeco

Janet,
Your story is very similar to mine except I received 6 mo. of Herceptin. I also was getting a tx when midway through they came in and shut if off. My EF went down to 43%. Had a follow up Echo that was borderline normal. Cardiologist wanted to put me on Vasotec, but I didn't really see the need for more meds since I also was asymptomatic. Will have another Muga in 4 mo. Both cardiologist and oncologist said no more Herceptin since I was stage 1. Let me know what your oncologsit recommends.
STAGE 1 HIGH RISK
1.1 CM/NODE NEG
12/05 PARTIAL MASTECTOMY
1/06 CHEMO AC DD X 6
5/06 RADS X 30
Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #19
Susan McQ

herceptin is back on

I was off herceptin for 1 month and my muga from last week was 54%. It increased from 47% a month ago. I start my herceptin again next Tuesday. I has received 41 weeks and we will finish up with 6 more treatments. After that, my onc considers me done. I'm ok with getting 47 weeks instead of 52.

Susan
33 rads completed 10/06
Final Herceptin 6/12/07
Port Removed -8/13/07
Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #20
Joe
Webmaster

The best time to take a MUGA scan would be in the last week before your infusion, if on a 3 week protocol.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote