HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Lucy

Re: Treatment for an 87 year old mom

Alice,

I saw your questions and while I can't answer all of them from personal experience I will throw out there what I can and hopefully others will join the conversation. (Disclaimer: when I say you or you're I mean it in a general sense, I did catch that you were asking for a friend. )

The reason radiation would be important is because she is having a lumpectomy. When I was diagnosed I was told that with a mastectomy I may or may not need radiation but with a lumpectomy the risk of recurrence goes up significantly without radiation so my takeaway from that was that it's a critical part of treatment if you have a lumpectomy.

Herceptin is a targeted drug for HER2 cancers and while everyone is different, my understanding is that herceptin alone is more likely to have a positive result than chemo alone. There may be a reason the doctor is not recommending chemo and it never hurts to ask that question, just so you know what's going on. Doctors handle these situations every day and I think they sometimes forget we don't have the educational background they do so if you're unsure about something they're telling you, you should ask. If they have a problem with that then I would consider getting a different doctor to be in charge of my medical team.

I hope that helps some.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote