HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Paula O

Thumbs up For those interested: Scripture Through the Her2 Fight

Breast cancer is rough stuff. It is sneaky and it doesn't fight fair. Even after treatment it can seem to linger in the shadows waiting for a reappearance, causing fear and uncertainty. Sometimes I have felt like the cancer is like an elusive "fertile cobra" loose in my house that I've been trying to cut up, poison, zap, infuse with Herceptin, and deprive of hormones. I'm not sure if it's gone for good or just wounded for a time, coiled up, hiding from the doctors and I awhile, waiting to slither out with a bunch of genetically mutated babies someday, and ready to strike again. How I'd like to permently evict the unwelcome intruder from this house of mine! Fear of the uncertain unknown can also poison one's mind and be a joy robber. God has much, much better for me than that.

We all have different ways of coping with difficulties. The Bible has been like a Love Letter from God to me and has been such a source of encouragement, hope, guidance, and comfort in my journeys through the ups and downs of life. This isn't about "religion" for me, it's about a relationship with God through the hardest time in my life which the last almost two years has been for me. I had my shockaroo mammogram December 30th, 2010.

This thread is for Bible verses that are uplifting through the storms and sunshine of the Her 2 Positive breast cancer fight. Sometimes I like to look up verses in different translations and versions (www.BibleGateway.com) to wrap my mind around them better which is what I did with Isaiah 41:10:

Isaiah 41:10

New Living Translation (NLT)

10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

New International Version (NIV)

10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

(The Message)
Don’t panic. I’m with you.
There’s no need to fear for I’m your God.
I’ll give you strength. I’ll help you.
I’ll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.

My take-away application a la Paula:
My soul can be at complete rest. I don't have to be scared, worried, or discouraged about all this cancer mess because my God is in control and He is with me. Because of this reality, I do not need to fear because He's my God and He's got my back (along with every other single angle of my entire being). Right now as well as through every future step in this journey through Cancer Land He is going to give me ALL the strength and help I need. He is cradling me in the Palm of His Hand, holding me close, snuggling me in His sweet love that never fails, lifting me up in His victory. Yes, I can rest in him.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
hestko76

Re: Scripture Through the Her2 Fight

Dear Paula,
Thank you so much for sharing your scriptures with me. As I am just about to finish my year long treatment saga with breast cancer, I found your message so uplifting. Thanks for sharing........
Helen
Lumpectomy 11-18-11
Er- Pr- Her2+++
0/5 nodes - no positive lymph nodes
Port installed 1-6-12
6 Rounds TCH
Rad. 33 tx
Last herceptin 12-10-12
Port removed 1-3-13
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Mary Jo

Hi Paula....What a great thread. I was also encouraged and strengthened through God's most beautiful word through my cancer journey and now beyond. Although I loved Him before cancer and felt we had a good relationship.....cancer gave me a whole new meaning into what life is really about. Here are a couple verses that spoke to me and continue too as I go through this "journey" called, life.

"For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." Romans 8:28

"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one came to be." Psalm 139:16

............................the first verse was a daily, constant reminder that although things LOOKED bad....God can work good in any situation. Since my cancer journey, my life has changed in TONS of ways that are way better than my life before cancer. I can, in all honesty, say, that I wouldn't trade a day of what I've been through.

..................the second verse reminded me and continues to remind me that where I am is of no surprise to my creator. He knows me intimately (geez, even knows the number of hairs on my head "Matthew" or lack thereof :-) Whatever befalls me God knew and knows about and He will be with me throughout it all.

Thanks Paula.......Blessings and Peace.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Redwolf8812

This is nice. Cancer brought me back to the Catholic Church. One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
...but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Penny

July 2010 IDC grade 3 stage 3 er-/pr-/her2+++, BRCA2
Skin mets 11/10
1/12/11 Surgery path - complete response
Rads 2/11-4/11
Liver mets 11/11 now stage IV
Xeloda & Tykerb 12/11
Allergic reaction to Tykerb 12/11
Xeloda only 12/11
Added herceptin January 2012
Progression February 2012.
Started Veliparib (parp inhibitor) trial 3/5/12.
4/30/12 Liver met shrunk in half! Praise Jesus!
6/18/12 another 25% shrinkage, down to @3x3. Thank you, God!
8/8/12 Brain MRI - clear! Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
8/27/12 Thank You, God - another 20% decrease in liver met! Now @ 3.2x1.9.
10/5/12 stable-ish
11/21/12 allergic reaction to carboplatin
12/10/12 stable & progression
12/31/12 liver ablation
2/6/13 ablation successful but new tiny mets in liver. May or not be cancer.
Another ablation scheduled 2/28/13. Cancelled.
2/20/13 started taxotere & herceptin. Pretty toxic. Oncologist says start tdm1 4/3/13. From her lips to God's ears. Praying for no allergic reactions/adverse side effects.
3/28/13 increase in liver mets - number & size
4/3/13 started TDM1
6/25/13 Praise God! Scan shows only one viable lesion and it's smaller.
10/8/13 MRI shows 1 large and two small tumors.
10/11/13 Ablation of tumors. It's in God's Hands.
10/23/13 Jesus and TDM1
12/19/13 Started trial of palbociclib & herceptin after scan showed growth of liver tumor and a questionable spot on rib.
2/6/14 CT scan - previous suspicious spot on rib probably damage from radiation - Praise God! MRI - over 200% growth in cancer in liver.
2/19/14 started Navelbine, Perjeta, & Herceptin combo.
5/2-5/4/14 hospitalized with very high liver function numbers, plus skin and eyes are yellow, plus urine is orange. Feel ok, so doctor not sure if liver failing due to cancer, chemo, or infection. Hospital gets numbers to go down and sends me home. MRI done in hospital reveals cancer shrinking - praise God!
5/6/14 - 5/8/14 hospitalized with no white blood cell count. Released when they go back up, @ 6 days after doctor gave me a neulasta shot.
5/16/14 - informed blood cultures done in hospital are back and that I contracted hepatitis e. Have to take ribavirin (anti-hep med) until liver function numbers are back to "normal" before re-starting chemo. Will probably go on veliparib and temodar this time.
5/26/14 - my birthday - GI doctor informed me that the hepatitis e was completely gone - I didn't even need the anti-viral meds! This is a miracle from God!
5/28/14 - started veliparib and temodar (compassionate use)
8/18/14 MRI shows 90% growth in liver tumors
8/20/14 start Perjeta, Herceptin, & Navelbine. Thanking & giving Glory to God for each moment.
9/22/14 - 9/24/14 Hospitalized with 102.2 fever and neutropenia
11/13/14 ER for high fever and fast heart rate. Got both down with IV antibiotic and fluids. Sent home same night. Thank You, Lord!
12/2/14 MRI shows progression in liver. Grateful to God that I still feel good.
12/11/14 Simulated SIR-spheres. Successful. Real thing (1st lobe) scheduled for the 23rd. Also starting Xeloda on 22nd for 2 weeks because it's synergistic with the spheres.
12/23/14 SIR-spheres in left lobe of liver. On Xeloda 12/22/14 - 1/4/15.
1/7/15 Receiving Perjeta & Herceptin while awaiting next course of action.
2/9/15 SIR-spheres in right lobe of liver. On Xeloda for 2 weeks (started 2/8). Still on Perjeta & Herceptin. Don't know what's next for me. :-)
3/25/15 Final read on MRI report - there are new and multiple lesions in both lobes of liver. Sigh. Praise God I've made it this far!
4/1/15 Started Gemzar & Herceptin. 1st week G&H, 2nd week G only, 3rd week off. Thank You, Lord, for this option.
4/15/15 Labcorp - liver enzymes in 200's. Appointment 4/22 with oncologist to discuss. Also, "radiation recall" in previously treated area? Very itchy. Need to discuss.
4/22/15 Enzymes came down. Received reduced dose of Gemzar only. No herceptin. Will get labs at lapcorp next two weeks since taking break for vacation purposes. Treat radiation area.
5/9/15 ER for severe abdominal pain. Constipation. Sent home with meds and advice to follow up with oncologist regarding jaundice and bilirubin.
5/11/15 Hospitalized for rising bilirubin and jaundice. CT scan reveals larger and more constricting tumors in liver.
5/13/15 Met with my oncologist. Bilirubin came down. If still down by Monday, I'll get chemo. If not, than I guess I'll see you all in Heaven. Praise God. Please pray, pray, pray.
5/18/15 Bilirubin jumped up. Trying lowered dose of Ixempra, with Herceptin. Oncologist is surprised that I'm functioning so well, given the high bilirubin. I have anywhere from 2 weeks - 2 months to live.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Jackie07

On the wall in our living room is a beautifully framed print of Psalm 118:24 that my late Mother-in-law had given it to us more than 20 years ago: "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Close by near the bed room door is a small frame I found in a garage sale: "For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' Jeremiah 29:11.

Directly facing the couch I sit most of the day is a page torn from a Chinese calendar: 'Be strong and with courage, do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go.' -Joshua 1:9

I remember back in the college days when I would just open the Bible randomly and point my finger to a verse before I study the whole chapter ... It's amazing how certain verses I had memorized back then would have such power in my healing process during 2 brain surgeries, 2 breast cancer surgeries and treatment, and a prophylactic hysterectomy/oo...

ps. Just read Flori's thread after posting these Bible verses. Sending you good vibes, SoCalGal!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 11-16-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Paula O

Thanks for sharing these verses, ladies...wonderful words of life and hope.

Here's another that I love:

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.
6 In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

5 With all your heart
you must trust the Lord
and not your own judgment.
6 Always let him lead you,
and he will clear the road
for you to follow.

Proverbs 3:5-12

The Message (MSG)

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he’s the one who will keep you on track.

New King James Version (NKJV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct[a] your paths.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
Paula O

Matthew 11:28-30

The Message (MSG)

28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Matthew 11:28-29

28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

28 If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest. 29 Take the yoke[a] I give you. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will [a]ease and relieve and [b]refresh [c]your souls.]
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ([d]relief and ease and refreshment and [e]recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

28 “Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. 29 Place my yoke[a] over your shoulders, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble. Then you will find rest for yourselves

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Paula O

Psalm 18:1-6

1 I love you, LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield[b] and the horn[c] of my salvation, my stronghold.
3 I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
and I have been saved from my enemies.
4 The cords of death entangled me;
the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;
the snares of death confronted me. 6 In my distress I called to the LORD;
I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice;
my cry came before him, into his ears.
----------

Soon after I was diagnosed with breast cancer I memorized this passage because it expressed so much of how I was feeling. Do any of you guys memorize portions of the Bible to meditate on? Unlike my kiddos, I'm a terrible memorizer and have to slowly plug away at it as it doesn't come naturally but it's done me a world of good.

Paula
Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
Paula O

I am exhausted from crying for help;
my throat is parched.
My eyes are swollen with weeping,
waiting for my God to help me.
Psalm 69;3

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
Psalm 34;18

I weep with sorrow; encourage me by Your Word.
Ppsalm 119:28

When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.
Psalm 94:19

Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd;
I have EVERYTHING I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the dark valley of death,[a]
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever

Paula
"The God of the universe has a special affinity for brokenhearted people, and His Words are the perfect compass for grievers. A magnetic compass always will point you to the North Pole, and God's Word always will point you to His unchanging truths and promises."
Lynn Eib
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Paula O

For everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven...
a time to cry and a time to laugh
A time to grieve and a time to dance.
Ecc 3: 1. 4

You keep track of all my sorrows.
You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in Your book.
Psalm 56:8

May the Lord bless you
and protect you.
may the Lord smile on you
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor
and give you his peace.
Numbers 6: 24-26
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
Paula O

1 Peter 5:7New Living Translation (NLT)

7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

1 Peter 5:7

Amplified Bible (AMP)

7 Casting the [a]whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, [b]once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you [c]watchfully.

7 God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him.

7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

My take-away from 1 Peter 5:7 for me this morning:
I throw the entire weight of every single one of my burdens, cares, concerns, and worries on God because He truely loves and cares for me. I'm handing the mother-loads and the baby loads of it all over to Him right now.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Paula O

"When you're dealing with serious illness, you may need to have your head talk to your heart once in a while. That's because our feelings can get distorted and may not reflect reality. The way you feel about life- or even God- may not match the truth about God's feelings and care for you. Are you convinced that neither chemo or radiation, neither scans nor surgery, neither disappointments nor bad news, neither predictions nor seemingly unanswered prayers, nor anything else in the world of illness will be able to separate you from the love of God that is yours in Christ Jesus? Don't let your 'fears for today' or your 'worries about tomorrow' rob you of the absolute certainty that the God of the universe loves you and that nothing, absolutely nothing, can diminish that love for you. Whether your heart feels it or not, your head has a message for you: No matter what happens or doesn't happen in your life today, nothing can keep your Heavenly Father from loving you."
--Lynn Eib in "Feelings vs Reality" in "He Cares" New Testament with Psalms and Proverb

Romans 8:31-39

Nothing Can Separate Us from God’s Love

31 What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? 32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else? 33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. 34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.
35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
Paula O

Psalm 139 : 1-18, 23, 24

1 O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
3 You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
4 You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
5 You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!

7 I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
8 If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave,[a] you are there.
9 If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me.
11 I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night—
12 but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.

13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
16 You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

17 How precious are your thoughts about me,[b] O God.
They cannot be numbered!
18 I can’t even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
SoCalGal

I am not a fan of religion or politics on the board.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Paula O

Thank you for speaking up and sharing your viewpoint, SoCalGal. It's great that we can have cordial, open communication among us here even when at times there is a difference of opinion.

I'd like to address the ladies who are in charge of overseeing this board next so that they can respond openly here as they see best if they'd like to:
First of all, thank you for your hard work and efforts to keep the board a supportive, informative, encouraging place for all. We appreciate you very, very much.

I'd like to suggest in the friendlinest of ways, that there is plenty of room on this board for a variety of threads, including this one. Surely folks can either choose to read and contribute to a thread if they are interested in the topic but simply not click on it at all if they don't want to read about a particular subject or perhaps simply would prefer not to read what a particular poster is writing.

There is sadness, fear, disappointment, and loss that we may feel in our own journeys as well as heartfelt sorrow when our fellow Her2 Positive sisters face very hard battles with cancer or when one of our members passes away. We cope with stresses in lots of different ways. Many people find a great deal of hope and comfort in God and the Bible. I sure do. I am happy to pass along and contribute to the group what I personlly consider to be encouraging and helpful beit free resources for those with cancer, humor, interesting articles, songs, quotes, or Scripture. My sincere desire is to be a blessing.

Love,

Paula
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #16
Paula O

"When I was in the hospital after my cancer surgery, a friend came into my room and told me God was going to teach me great things through this trial. I wanted to take the IV out of my arm, stab it in hers, and tell her, 'You get in the bed and learn great things from God, because I don't want to learn this way'.

If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with cancer, I doubt you're rejoicing over the possibilities of what you can learn from suffering. But I hope you are praying and believing that God can touch you. Wherever you are. Right where you are:
*Newly diagnosed and in shock, praying there's been some mistake.
*Facing surgery, praying the doctor can get it all.
*Undergoing tests, praying for some good news finally.
*Dealing with a recurrence, praying it's been found soon enough.
*At the end of medical hope, praying for a little more time.
*Holding the hand of a loved one, praying to be strong for them."
--Lynn Eib in "When God and Cancer Meet" http://www.allbookstores.com/search?...o.x=10&Go.y=12

Romans 8:26-28

26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. 27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. 28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Romans 8:28

The Message (MSG)

26-28 Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
SoCalGal

To me, the VIBE of this thread feels proselytizing. (IMO Simply not clicking on a link is always a choice but not a good argument. We can start posting links to porn sites, retail sales, or anything with that argument).

I was trying to point out that this thread is very close to an edge we don't normally approach. Joe went out of his way to keep religion and politics off the board. Not an attack on anyone's personal worship, God, beliefs, etc.

Just MY OPINION on the vibe of the thread - I guess it took me by surprise. I feel the same way about politics in that I am all for voting but not for sharing that info here...

And also, I would hate for newbies to think we are a Christian support group as opposed to a HER2 positive support group.

Okay - gotta get my day on...
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
chrisy

I don't know if I would claim to be "overseeing" the board, although I do have the POWER to delete spam or any other thread

I agree with Flori re avoiding political discussions - they quickly get hot and divisive and unhelpful. Over the years we've had very few occasions where Joe had to shut down political discussions and that has always been one of the "house rules" of living in Joe and Christine's home.

I think the same could be true of religious "discussions" or controversies, which we have not really encountered very much, in fact I can't really think of any in the 8 years I've been here. I'd hate to see that too.

I think that is very different tho from sharing inspirational messages or quotes, including this thread which is biblical scriptures. I personally find this thread a super helpful gift and really appreciate the work that has gone into sharing these. I also really like that "scripture" is referenced in the thread subject so that those who want/need this can easily find it (vs. searching through a more generic "inspirational quotes" thread) and those who are not interested or do not find it helpful can equally easily avoid or ignore it.

Although I do see your point about where do we draw the line, Flori. To me the difference is a quote from the dalai lama or other religious sources is likely to be helpful to some members; ads for cialis or links to porn are far less likely but maybe that's just me!

I especially love the respect and grace with which we as the her2support family express ourselves and respect each other-Brenda was a champion at this. This is the only online site on which I have EVER posted because I never felt safe on the sites notable for their "flame wars". You know who they are.

I love you all. You know who you are, too.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure

Last edited by chrisy; 11-27-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
LoisLane

I feel Paula is just sharing what gives her strength and hopefully she feels will give others comfort. These are not just Christian quotes. What Christians call "the old Testament" is the Torah, the Jewish bible starting with Genesis. Psalms etc. I respect and understand all your feelings here. Love and peace to you all
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #20
Paula O

This is one of my favorites:; God's Christmas gift to me everyday, forever and what fills me with hope and peace:

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Closed Thread