HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #21
sonyabegonia

Re: Boosting Your Immune System - share your ideas

I am off to check the new supplement list of yours, Andi! Thank you for being a beacon of light for us all!
sonyabegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #22
sonyabegonia

Donna,

I am not sure about what to suggest, but maybe Lorezapam would be helpful. Are you talking about motion sickness? That would help with nausea. My onc prescribed it for me as an extra measure of protection from nausea after chemo treatments. I still keep it on hand to help me sleep when needed. A tiny dose works wonders. Just make sure your dose is helpful and that it does not interfere with your ability to drive, if you will be driving after your flight.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #23
Donna H

Hi Sonya-
No motion sickness - I just seem to get a really bad cold after air travel. A cold that lasts about 2 weeks or more. I never had this problem before treatment. I started taking vitamin C but there's probably more I should or could be doing.
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
sonyabegonia

One thing I can offer -- and I am sure there is a more holistic way to handle this, but anytime you fly or go in for surgery or anything, take a small amount of antibiotic ointment -- Bactroban, which requires a prescription, is the best, I was told - and put it on a q-tip and lightly coat the inside of your nose. This keeps any horrid germs from entering a dry and perhaps cracked nose interior where germs would love to set up shop.

Besides that, I remember seeing some natural remedies / preventatives on another post. I will look for it and post it here.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #25
sonyabegonia

I copied this from a thread from Andrea Barnett Budin. It's called 2016 Supplement
List, which is fabulous. So, this is not preventative, after all. But if you are up for it, her list of supplements - and mine - can give you some ideas of how to boost your immune system. I say find a trusted naturopath and begin a plan made just for you.

HELPFUL ADVICE -- Take ONLY when feeling sick:
Zinc -- 30 mg (+ when sick -- lozenges 23 mg up to 6 x a day
vITAMIN C - 1,000 X 3
Echincea with goldenseal 900
Astragalus 1,000
Add'l surgery for clear margins
ER+/PR+ 95%
Her2+++
Chemo TCH Started August 2012
Radiation began February 2013
Tamoxifen - almost 3 years
Arimidex - began December 2015
Old 01-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Thanks for the antibiotic ointment BACTROBAN, Sonya. That is an excellent suggestion! Used to put something else in my nose that kind of disappeared. Originator sold company then didn't like the way they were doing things. And -- seems to be gone. But it worked!

And again, thank you, Sonya, for the post about the zinc ax 4 a day, plus Vit C 1,000 x 3 a day + Echinacea with goldenseal and Astragalus.

It is great at first sign of cold. But if you get sick w/plane travel (petry dish of germs in airplanes where you breathe it all in for hrs) and touch surfaces 100s of pp touch -- try starting a day or two before and of course THE DAY OF. Throw in a day or two after. THAT SHOULD KEEP YOU HEALTHY, Donna!

I was just about to post exactly that Sonya, when I saw it wasn't about motion sickness.

You are a wise and savvy lady. Quick learner. And you SHARE. I love you!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #27
Juls

Ann
One step forward!
Started with probiotic yogurt this morning!
Been taking Vit D so adding calcium from today as well.

Andi

Going through list!!

Thanks
Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #28
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

I recall when Dr. Gaynor first handed me my lists -- pages and pages -- subdivided into IMMUNE SYSTEM, DIGESTIVE HEALTH, blah, blah. Overwhelming. And ridiculous to think I could ever...

But my blood #s are always impeccable, despite a little cancer back in the day. I have read over the yrs on this site that this Sister or that Sister stopped taking their supplements. They didn't know why.

First of all, I knew why. It's a big damn pain the ass! You have to be rigid in your protocol. Well, when I was on all these meds for pain and whatever w/the hard chemo, and I was so sick, I had to be my own nurse. I would keep a list in the bathroom, on the vanity and write the day and date and the time I took each and every pill. I'd write the next time I needed to take whatever (for diarrhea or nausea and so on) -- and I'd carefully put a check mark next the one I had just actually taken and I'd turn the bottle upside down for good measure. I was meticulous. I kept a chart on ME.

I kept hydrated. I was very good. I couldn't eat but I'd crawl to the pantry and take a shaking handful of nuts and eat 1 handful, because you have to!

But I got to notice that the Sisters who stopped taking their supplements -- and I don't mean this as a scare tactic, just an observation -- I began to worry b/c those who stopped would soon and suddenly be in hospice and die.

So that served as incentive enough for me to stick with the program. These pills keep me alive and they keep me healthy and well!!!

A friend of mine was given her list from Dr. G. She told him -- okay, pick 10 -- any 10. And I'll take them. She has had 3 primary cancers. She takes 10. Every morning. She takes the AM pills and the PM pills in the AM. That's it. She has no tolerance for any more. That's her thing. Aside from the 3 cancers, she is still alive many yrs later. She will soon be 80.

So you must do what you're comfortable with.

It's a cost. It's a major bother. It's a project. I feel -- it's the least I can do. I am off chemo. I am miraculously still here. I do BELIEVE with all my heart that these pills have a profound effect on my health and well-being. And I do it all so by rote at this point, I cannot imagine what I would do without them. I THINK OF MY SUPPS AS MY LIFELINE.

Just as I do the meditation and the self talk thing and the guided imagery. I BELIEVE. I live open to LOVE, GRATITUDE, COMPASSION, GENEROSITY OF SPIRIT, GIVING GOD A REASON TO KEEP ME AROUND. I appreciate the smallest of things. Like having hair that won't blow away in a gust of wind. Like being able to breathe. Swear. I can walk and talk. Feed and bathe myself. I can type. Communicate. These are all great blessings.

A few mnths before my orig dx, the young rugged handsome actor who fell off his horse and became paralyzed from the neck down, whose name escapes me for a moment. It's in my book. I kept telling my husb that my 4th stage invasive lobular carcinoma could have so much worse. My husb would look at me as if I had lost my mind. I'd say I'M LUCKY...! He'd say, If you were lucky, you wouldn't have cancer.

No, my mother had Alzheimers and had lost her mind, become totally paralyzed. I KNEW well how blessed I was. And I know well now to appreciate all that has been given me. It impelled me on to a spiritual path I can see in retrospect I was unconsciously on all along, but after my dx I began to see the world in such intense colors. The chipped paint on the front door mid winter (when they couldn't fix it) that I saw every day several times a day as I came and went and annoyed the hell out of me -- no longer mattered. In the scheme of things, Who cares?

I did google each of the supps. I did need to understand why I was taking each one. You approach it in your own way. And please feel grateful for Dr. G's secret recipe to success. Don't abuse the honor. Share it with others. And follow it for all of the years of the long life it will grant you.

AHAH! Christopher Reeve...

Just saying..

Love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #29
VDC

While I am not a huge fan of supplements, I figure in the current situation it can't hurt! I have added the following supplements to my daily routine while I wait for more testing:

Flax Seed Lignans: 125 mg Lignan daily
curcumin: 1000 mg daily
plant phytosterols: 1500 mg daily
CoQ10: 75 mg daily
Vit D: 3000 daily
fish oil: 1200 mg daily
flax seed oil: 1300 mg daily
Grape seed extract: 800 mg daily

The Flax Seed lignans, curcumin, and grape seed extract have some research supporting their cancer fighting properties...although the research is limited and for the most part small studies.

Plant phytosterols, fish oil and flax seed oil have less research supporting their role in cancer, but I figure it can't hurt and with cardiovascular disease in my family (familial hypercholesterolemia) these are good supplements to help with heart health even if the research is spotty

Vit D and CoQ10 are thought to have some beneficial effect but I haven't seen any really convincing research done. Still, can't hurt.

I say these can't hurt because I am not on chemotherapy which could interfere with some of these agents. I don't know which might cause problems with chemo so use carefully and under the guidance of a physician.
VDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #30
Juls

Have been researching supplements. In particular AHCC (mushroom compound). Have ordered it but now worrying if doing right thing!
Why is it that I allow chemo (now on xeloda) in my body but I am hesitant about supplements?
Is it just me?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #31
Andrea Barnett Budin

Anything new is difficult for me. And most.

Ingesting anything new is especially challenging.

Why did you choose that immune booster?

Mushroom blend is excellent choice. Not sure about other ingredients. AND THE PRICE...!!!!!!! Yikes.

I take New Chapter Lifeshield mushroom blend. Did you check out those ingredients? And the price?

I like dealing with Vitacost.com -- b/c they never give me a hard time if I order the wrong thing and they just refund and don't even want me to return. They say -- give it to someone else who can use it.

Their prices are excellent plus they run promos all the time. Promo pocket in upper right hand corner. And, if on their email list, you get notification of all sales.

That's my input for whatever it's worth, Juls.

BE WELL...!

Hugs,
A.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #32
Jackie07

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Reeve

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-09-2016 at 06:38 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #33
Juls

Hi Andi
I read an article about AHCC and how it is used by Doctors in Japan. The article stressed that it should be pharma grade only. I found it on offer at £31 and ordered it. Then I started to worry - should I take when on Xeloda - so I did more research yesterday. By sheer luck discovered that a study has been done with patients taking UFT chemo(Fluorouracil) & AHCC . There was a significant improvement in tumour suppression . Xeloda changes to Fluorouracil in the body. So thought worth taking to boost immune system.
Still a bit unsure about what to take or not. I know this is silly. I rarely took anything prior to BC!
I will look at the brands you mention.
Juls
Old 02-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #34
Andrea Barnett Budin

Yes, Jackie.

It was such a tragic thing to see a young healthy man so completely incapacitated. In a wheelchair. Couldn't turn his head. Needed to blow into a tube to get air, and to speak a few words. I can't even imagine living like that. Do you remember him? And his story?

Juls, and ALL -- I rarely took anything before bc. Ever. Not for period cramps or whatever.

'95 mastec, tram flap, chemos (4) for 9 mnths w/all the awful side effects. I was found to be borderline ER/PR so they put me on Tamoxifen.

In '98 when my 4th stage invasive lobular bc had spread throughout my liver. Minor change in my always predictable liver enzymes was the tip off. Surgical biopsy confirmed same bc but also that I was HER2+ (Herceptin still in clinical trials -- I'd read all about it -- but I asked to be tested anyway.) I was then found to be ER-/PR-. Docs told me to flush the Tamoxifen.

I did all the pre op testing and scans (full body, not ECHO, the more invasive one for heart, a stress test, bld, bld, bld and more more more) I also went to 2 more oncs for input plus the integrative oncologist (Dr. Gaynor) cause I'd read his book in '95 and KNEW if I ever needed such a person I would go to him. He was spiritual, holistic, saw the patient as a body and a soul, psychologically and physically.

Onc #1 said Taxol. Onc #2 said Navelbene cause it was kinder, gentler and they'd already told me I would be on longterm chemotherapy for the rest of my life. Onc #3 said Taxotere. Why? B/c what you have is a highly aggressive form of bc and Taxotere is the most aggressive weapon we have in our arsenal. I decided to fight fire with fire and take the harder road. (Tempting though the kinder gentler path was.)

Dr. G, the integrative onc, gave me my list of suggested supplements. All other docs said to wait till after chemo to start the supps. I called Dr. G. He said -- IT IS DURING CHEMOTHERAPY, WHEN YOUR BODY IS UNDER ATTACK FROM THE CANCER AND THE EFFECTS OF THE CHEMO, THAT YOU MOST NEED TO BE ON THE SUPPLEMENTS!

It took great courage but I went with his advice. He was the expert on these. And over the yrs I would learn that mainstream western docs don't believe in supps, are still waiting for more studies to come out to scientifically prove their efficacy. If I had waited, I swear I wouldn't be here today.

So be brave I say, and go with your gut. My gut said, listen to this doc's advice.

I told you his first book HEALING ESSENCE by Dr. Mitchell Gaynor is or was on Amazon for 99 cents. I recommend it highly. It says sooo much!!!!!!!!!!! It said what I'd long been thinking. The mindbody connection is real and yet another tool we need to tap into. So I meditate and use guided imagery and mantras, talking to my body, and the Universe.

And I take my supplements, one at a time, every day (2-4 x a day). Empty stomach pills, AM pills, PM pills, SLEEP pills which include some prescriptions for high blood pressure and high cholesterol but are predominately over the counter supplements.

Any questions, just ask.

Again, thanks Jackie for looking for and finding Christopher Reeve's tale...

Hugs,
Andi

Old 02-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #35
Juls

Hi
As you know I'm not impressed with part of my Onc team at the moment. Not getting much from them and certainly not reassurance. If I mention taking supplements - it might just tip them over the edge!
I realise that when on chemo you need them most. My concern is that I take something that works against treatments so have been researching first. The problem I have come across is that I'm triple positive (7 on ER+ scale) & while some are suitable for Her2 they are not for ER+ (& vice versa). Think this is what is confusing/worrying me.
Juls

P.S. Going to look on Amazon for Dr Gaynors book.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #36
Andrea Barnett Budin

I do say -- these supplements were suggested by Dr. Gaynor for me -- ER-/PR- HER2+... ALSO I am post menopausal. Age 53 when given this list. Tailor it for YOU specifically, as best you can. And definitely go with what your GUT / INSTINCTS / Inner Voice tell you to do...

So yes, Juls, you must consider that you are ER+...

DR. GAYNOR HAS OTHER BOOKS WHICH GIVE YOU HIS SUPPLEMENT SPIEL THAT YOU MAY WANT TO PERUSE.

Your reluctance is understandable.

Mainstream docs do NOT like supplements. They don't understand them, have knowledge of them, trust them. Our med schools do not teach about these. It's kind of alternative / integrative / ancient Eastern thinking...

You are not going to get an OKAY let alone that sounds great from your docs. No docs (brilliant, top of their game, whatever) are into this stuff.

Though my fav onc has included a once a wk, or maybe once a mnth, class on these. His registered nurse is into them and may be pushing him. He's been my onc since 1995 and even though he tells me all the time that he tells all his patients and other docs about me and my miraculous survival, he still isn't a fan of supplements. He just remains mute at this point about them. After all, can't argue with success...

Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #37
Andrea Barnett Budin

I see the 99 cent HEALING ESSENCE paperback is no longer available on Amazon.

I would definitely buy a USED book. I have done this many times before through Amazon and the book always comes in pristine condition. Amazing to me. I make a mess out of a book as I nearly devour it...!!!!!!!

What I see is available:

Dr. Gaynor's Cancer Prevention Program: M. Gaynor: 9781575663821: Amazon.com: Books

The Gene Therapy Plan: Taking Control of Your Genetic Destiny with Diet and Lifestyle: Mitchell L. Gaynor MD, Mehmet C. Oz M.D.

check out:
books » Gaynor Integrative Oncology

Dr. Mitchell Gaynor is most known for his work exploring and integrating alternative health modalities into his cancer treatment protocols. His interests led him to author six books and record three albums (with jazz-pop pianist Jon Regen) that topped the Billboard magazine New Age charts after an appearance on the influential Dr. Oz show.

His Work
Dr. Gaynor's interest in alternative medicine was sparked during his postdoctoral work at Rockefeller University when he came across research looking into nutrient-gene interactions and the immune system.

He was inspired by the idea that what we eat and our environment play a role, if not the most significant role, in our health, an idea that many conventional doctors still have difficulty embracing.

This research manifested in his practice through his focus on the immune system, nutritional supplementation, and a desire to find the root cause of diseases instead of merely treating the symptoms.

This is what drew me to Gaynor in Healing Essence. It was awesome. THE MINDBODY CONNECTION, treating the patient (mind body and soul) not just the symptoms!!

Inspiration struck again in the early 1990s when Dr. Gaynor treated a Tibetan monk who gifted him with a traditional Tibetan singing bowl. Dr. Gaynor viewed the inclusion of behavioral therapies like music, meditation, chanting, and breathing exercises to be an essential part of overall health and wellness, as they lower stress hormones and blood pressure and increase the function of the immune system.

He became fascinated by SOUND THERAPY. Tibetan bowls and more...

His first books, published in 1999, helped him build a successful practice and presence in the alternative and conventional medical fields.

The Alternative Health Field Grows More Intriguing Every Day

google:
books » Gaynor Integrative Oncology

Nurture Nature Nurture Health – Your Health And The Environment

Read Nurture Nature Nurture Health

This is a large PDF file (256 MB), which may take a couple of minutes to download.

.... quick and easy ways to detoxify the body

... building the immune system is key in fighting cancer

Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #38
Juls

At hospital today for Herceptin and Zometa (had to reassure Nurses again about Zometa and dental treatment)
Then Nurse says - we have to give you calcium and Vit D as well!
So after all previous discussion about supplements and Doctors not keen on them - Staff give me Calcium and Vit D. Told them again I already took them but to no avail. Came home with enough to last months!!
I realise that they are basic but its a step forward.
Have to say this amused me.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #39
Andrea Barnett Budin

Yes just about all docs (I see them ON THE NEWS...!!!) saying everyone should be taking Vit D and calcium.

Re dosages. Calcium (a body can only absorb 400-500 mg at a time, so I take 3 x a day). Vit D (mine is normal but low, so I have slowly increased to 10,000 every day). I am now mid range good.

Docs seem also to be open to probiotics.

Some are good with E W/Toph

Should be taking Selenium. Just saying.

And of course IMMUNE BOOSTERS and DETOXIFIERS...

Yes, it takes decades to get them this far. Hope they continue to evolve.

Co Q 10...

Old 02-12-2016, 05:20 AM   #40
Juls

Last year Scottish Health Board recommended that all should take Vit D!
Calcium prescribed yesterday was 1200mg & Vit D @ 800 I.U daily.
I have been taking Vit D since last August at 1000 I.U which has given me a good level of 72. Think I might continue with my own capsules.
I downloaded the pdf by Dr Gaynor and I am part way through it. Just read about Selenium.
What is E/W Toph?
Juls