HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
madubois63

madubois63 update

Okay, okay...I am finally getting around to updating. It has been a mental thing for me. I just couldn't find the mental energy to do this - coping thing I guess. I have been feeling pretty good lately and just don't want to be preparing to be feeling like crap again. Last week, I got a call from the transplant hospital. They have identified MY donor. She is 25 and lives outside of the US (they won't tell me where). She is a 10 out of 10 match - genetically speaking, she is me but younger. They offered her 3 appointments to start the process. The first date has passed, so I will not be going next week. The next appointment for her would put me traveling on the 16th and then the last date would put me at the 23th. It all depends on her. Right now, I feel like I am in the last weeks of pregnancy. Everyone keeps asking me, "When." I get, "Oh, your still here?? I thought you'd be in the hospital by now." Ugh! While she gets shots to boost her marrow and then donates blood 3 times, I will be getting dental clearance (pulling teeth may be necessary - I will not be able to get dental work for the next year, and there is no time for root canals because of my immune system). Then we'll having a family meeting where they teach my mom and sister how to care for my catheter and keep my (30) pills in order and also last minute labs for chemo dosages. Her blood will be frozen and then flown to NY. It then gets treated and separated. I will then be admitted and 5 days of chemo will be administered to completely kill my bone marrow/immune system. I get one day off, then the transplant - which is no more than a transfusion. The marrow amazingly knows where to go. The cells just swim to where they need to be (smarter than most men - I said MOST). The chemo is a rough combo - worst than any BC chemo I've ever had. The hard part of this is getting through is the side effects of chemo, transfusions until my counts recuperate and being isolated and so far from home. I will be there for many weeks but I am determined to be home for Christmas! I will miss Halloween (my second favorite holiday - my house looks like the great pumpkin spit up) and Thanksgiving (mom's stuffing), but I'll do my best to remember what I am gaining! The docs will be watching me very carefully for what is called Graft vs Host Disease. Basically, it is a rejection of the bone marrow and it usually shows itself in the first 100 days after the transplant. There are more medications to combat this problem if it should occur, and the better the match the less likely it is to occur. I've met someone that is now going through a mild case, and it ain't so pretty. It has effected her skin. I know what to expect, but I am praying (real hard) that it doesn't happen! I've had tons of tests again for preadmission. The breast cancer is still in remission, as is the leukemia (yeah). So if I am in remission, why do the transplant you ask?? If I don't have the transplant it could take weeks, it could take months, but in time the leukemia WILL come back. Genetically/medically speaking, my prognosis sucks! The chemo goes for keeping things stable and in line, the transplant goes for a cure. I want a cure!! So that's it for now. I promise I will post before I leave. I will have internet access and hope to be up to posting. ..Thank you all for your friendship, prayers and well wishes!! I love you all...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Tom

Best Wishes

We all love you too, Mary Ann. Thanks for the detailed update. I have to say that you're "packin more in your shorts" than most men I know. I have seldom seen such determination and faith in a person faced with life-changing decisions. To say that you are an inspiration, is a gross understatement. When I read your posts, I sometimes wonder how in the world you keep your momentum.

If anyone else encounters the same problems you have with treatment for BC, they will certainly have a road map to follow. Keep us informed please on your progress if you feel up to typing. We will all be praying out collective behinds off for you. take care and keep your chin up.

P.S. I never WAS much of a swimmer, but I did do a lot of hardcore New Jersey deep-wreck diving in my younger days. Although now that you bring it up, I did have a hard time finding my way back out of a sunken tugboat once...lol Geeez!!! GUILTY as charged.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Joy

MaryAnn

I'm in awe of you.

Consider yourself surrounded with love and strength and light continuously from all of us.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
RobinP

Wow, sounds like a lot on your plate. I 'll keep you in prayer,and you keep up the fight!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
tricia keegan

You go girl!!!

Maryann will be thinking of you and wishing the very best outcome.

Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Barbara H.

Maryanne,
Thank you for the update. You are an inspiration. You have been in my thoughts and I wish you the very best with your transplant. A friend of mine's sister went through this quite a few years ago and is doing well.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
suzan w

Best wishes and prayers to you...will look forward to your updates. A friend just went through a pancreas transplant...18 months after a kidney transplant (diabetes) she went through alot but it was well worth it. It will be for you too!!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
RhondaH

Smile Prayers will continue and

ALSO, that you will be home by Christmas. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
rinaina

Prayers that all goes as planned and for a perfect outcome. You are so strong and such an inspiration to all. Don't know how you manage to still keep us informed but glad you do. You have certainly taught me to count my blessings. I sincerely hope that the transplant works well and that you soon will be "cured".
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
lindaw

Dear Maryanne

You are so brave.You have a difficult time ahead of you but I know you will get through it. We will be thinking about you - all the best .

love
lindaw
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Andi

Maryanne - your courage is so strong, it is such an inspiration! My prayers are with you that all goes well with your transplant and you have a speedy recovery.
Diagnosed 6/30/05
Lumpectomy 7/13/05
Dose Dense A/C x 4
Weekly Taxol + Herceptin x 12
Remainder of year Herceptin Every 3 weeks (completes 9/13/06)
Radiation completed 2/28/06
Currently on Tamoxifen
Dec 06 - Pleural effusion treated with pleurodesis
Now er/pr-, her2++
1/07 started weekly Navelbine plus Herceptin
Discontinued Tamoxifen
4/27/07 CTshowed progression
5/01/07 Began Tykerb/Xeloda + Zometa
5/22/07 Stopped treatment due to great progression
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
chrisy

Maryann,
Thanks for the update. I can't believe how you make everything sound like a big adventure! I especially liked the description of your pumpkin-house. YOU GO for that cure! Knowing your determination and how you make things happen, I have no doubt you will be home for Christmas, and am praying things go well for you so that that can happen.

I wonder...since your perfect match donor is from overseas, do you think you may start speaking Hungarian or (worse yet) craving some indescribably gross culinary delicacies? Hmmmm.

Take care
Much love and prayers,
chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
kk1

sending prayers every minute of every day

kk1
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
Bev

I thought of you earlier today. Where is Maryann? Glad it's working so far. You better get out of Buffalo before Christmas. you'll be snowed in til April. Best of luck. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #15
michele u

Maryanne,

I hope you can post from the hospital. I would do just what you are doing==trying for a cure. It's what we all want. You are such a fighter. I'm reading a great book about Quantum Healing. You should get on Amazon and look at the different books about it. It really talks about how we can boost our immune systems and heal ourselves. It would be a good thing for you to do while in the hospital. I believe it is in us to survive. Our bodies want to live. We just haven't found the knowledge to study this yet. When we do watch out, it will blow us all away.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:05 AM   #16
sarah

Maryann you are so brave and such an inspirtaion and your spirit is so strong.
When you are home and healthy I think you should read your emails and posts and think of writing a book about this whole experience.
I am so happy for you that this is happening and I send you a BIG cyber hug and my heart is with you all through this treatment.
hugs and love
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #17
sherri

MaryAnn,

You are my hero and you are an amazing woman. I salute your will and your guts. LiveStrong!

Much love,
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #18
tousled1

MaryAnn,

I wish you all the best and hopefully this process will soon be over and you'll be on the road to recovery. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #19
eric

Marianne,

Your courage and will is an inspiration to all. Thanks for sharing. My thoughts are with you and I hope it's an easy road to cure for you.

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #20
Vanessa

I have to applaud your courage. I will be praying for you during this time and hoping that everything goes as planned. I hope you have the best Christmas ever after this is over. You will deserve it. I am praying for a CURE!!! Keep up posted if you can.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote