HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Marlys

Becky, What does this mean?

I received this from Therapeutics Weekly and am wondering what the meaning is:

Research from University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center Provide New Insights Into Breast Cancer Therapy
Cancer Weekly - Mar. 13, 2007
Researchers detail in "Lapatinib induces apoptosis in trastuzumab-resistant breast cancer cells: effects on insulin-like growth factor I signaling," new data in breast cancer. According to a study from the United States, "The majority of breast cancer patients who achieve an initial therapeutic response to the HER2-targeted antibody trastuzumab will show disease progression within 1 year. Thus, the identification of novel agents that effectively inhibit survival of cancer cells that have progressed on trastuzumab is critical." <O"In the current study, we show that the dual epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)/human EGFR-2 (HER2) kinase inhibitor lapatinib induces apoptosis in trastuzumab-resistant cells derived from the HER2-overexpressing SKBR3 breast cancer line. Lapatinib inhibited EGFR and HER2 signaling in resistant cells, blocking activation of downstream Akt, mitogen-activated protein kinase, and S6 kinases and inducing expression of p27kip1. Importantly, lapatinib also inhibited insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) signaling and growth-promoting effects in parental and resistant cells, and the cytotoxic effects of lapatinib were further enhanced by the IGF-I receptor-blocking antibody alphaIR3," wrote R. Nahta and colleagues, University of Texas, M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. <OThe researchers concluded: "As increased IGF-I receptor signaling has been implicated in trastuzumab resistance, our data strongly support further study of lapatinib as a potential therapeutic in breast cancers that have progressed on trastuzumab."Nahta and colleagues published the results of their research in Molecular Cancer Therapeutics (Lapatinib induces apoptosis in trastuzumab-resistant breast cancer cells: effects on insulin-like growth factor I signaling. <O
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
betlen5

I was told that Herceptin will only last about 9 months after taken with Taxol. 9 months later it has returned? Why don't they tell you this information before receiving the treatment?
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Barbara2

Is it in reference to metestatic breast cancer?

The sentence that you highlighted in red, is one that I also have highlighted (from the "volumes" of information that I make copies of) from an article with the same quote, some time ago. I wondered what that meant, too. Is this statement referring to metestatic breast cancer?

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Jean

Becky,

is out of town on business and will return at end of week.
She does not have access to computer.

Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Hopeful

Maryls,

Here is a link to a recent article which states that Herceptin is cost effective, given the improved survival time of patients: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/553595

Here is a pertinent excerpt:

The 2 studies differed in 2 key areas — the duration of trastuzumab's benefit<sup> </sup>and the annual risk for systemic recurrence. In the study led by Nicola Lucio Liberato, MD, from the Azienda Ospedaliera della Provincia di Pavia, Ospedale Civile, Italy, they assumed that the benefit of trastuzumab would persist<sup> </sup>only for 5 years — a notion that is well supported by the Early Breast Cancer<sup> </sup>Trialists' Meta-Analysis.

In contrast, in the study led by Allison Kurian, MD, from the Veterans' Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System and Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research at Stanford University, in California, they assumed a one-third decline in benefit in years 3 to 5 and<sup> </sup>an additional but persistent benefit from years 6 to 10. In their editorial, Drs. Hillner and Smith call these numbers "excessively optimistic." The reports also differed slightly<sup> </sup>in the risk for systemic recurrences beyond 5 years, but this<sup> </sup>had little impact on the results.

Hope this information is useful.

Hopeful<sup> </sup>
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Marlys

I guess if I had stopped to really think this out I would have realized that it probably is not referring to those of us who were stage 1 who received Herceptin after the 2005 ASCO released the news about the trials. Mainly because no one is following up on us as if we were in a trial. I will continue with my head in the clouds and my ears to the ground until my body tells me otherwise. Hopeful, thanks for your input. I subscribe to Medscape for Nurses as I am one(old & retired but they don't care.)
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
rinaina

That underlined red sentence can make you crazy. According to that, her2 people are doomed no matter the herceptin. Can't believe that.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
jessica

a matter of semantics...

"Disease progression" is NOT synonymous w "DEATH SENTENCE"
Many of us here have beat back disease that has "progressed" multiple times, and lived to tell about it!
Thank God for Tykerb & all the other great drugs on the horizon to keep us surviving & THRIVING!

Keep the Faith~
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #9
heblaj01

The second half of the abstract posted by Marlys opens the hopefull possibility that Tykerb may not only begin to work where Herceptin stops but that it may prevent one of the ways cancer cells become resistant to Herceptin.
One area that is not clear from reading this abtract is wether or not overcoming this resistance to Herceptin can be achieved after it has occured. If that were to be so it would mean that Herceptin treatment should not be stopped after the addition of Tykerb.
This article adds support to the very optimistic comments made by two oncs (involved in the preclinical & phase 2 trial of Tykerb+Herceptin) in an interview in december 2006 about the early observations on the combo efficacy.(http://www.breastcancerupdate.com/do...8_06_Chang.mp3)
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Becky

This article refers to the metastatic (stage 4) condition and is not in reference to using Herceptin as an adjuvant in early breast cancer. Also in the Stage 4 condition, 9 months to progression is an average of many clinical studies and is not necessarily true to life as Herceptin is always combined with chemo and if the first chemo drug doesn't work then another is tried etc etc and usually, one of the drugs works quite well.

Hope this helps

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Marlys

Becky, Thank you so much for your reply. After thinking about it a while I sort of figured that out. I sure wasn't going to let it disturb me too much because I think I'm doing great.
Love & hugs,
Marlys