HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
nancymarie

I am going to talk to my onc today...

Joannie,

What did you decide on?

I am HER2/NEU 3+ also, and was in the clinical trial for herceptin but got put in the control arm that did not receive herceptin. My last chemo was March 2003.

I am going to talk to my onc today about getting on Herceptin. When I first was diagnosed, my breast surgeon told me about how wonderful herceptin was and I was anxious to receive it back then and was devastated when I could not. I met with her recently too and she told me that if my current onc did not feel that I should go on herceptin, to get a 2nd opinion from other oncs in my area.

-Nancy
nancymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Joannie

Joannie

Hi Ladies:
I had to move my onc. appt to next week, therefore, I have not spoken with her yet about taking Herceptin. I am leaning toward taking the drug at this point not only for piece of mind but I don't want to have any regrets!

Thank you for all of your posts and I will let you know what happens next week.
Joannie
Joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
CLTann

As I got prepared for getting Herceptin (without chemo), my onc at the last minute said that he could not recommend that. There are no data to back up this regimen, with HER2 +++, Pr+,ER+, 1 cm, node free, postmenopause, no spread, grade 1/2, using only herceptin and arimidex. So I will have only arimidex. The chance of no recurrence is about 85%. The Herceptin/chemo will increase this chance to 90%. For the 5% gain, there is a 5% chance of heart problem. I will take other supplements to enhance my chance. In a way, I am glad that I don't need to go through the infusion process. I hope I have made the right decision.
CLTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
nancymarie

Talking Waiting for insurance approval

I saw my onc yesterday and we talked about Herceptin. He gave me the same story line about how Herceptin has not been tested with those who had chemo years ago but after hearing me say that I wanted to do everything possible at this point to not get a recurrance, he approved it! Yeah!!!

So, we are waiting to see if Pacificare will cover this - and I should know by early next week.

Hugs,

-Nancy

HER2/NEU 3+, IDC, Stage IIB, ER/PR-
Mastectomy (right) - was on 9/11/2002, 3.5 cm tumor
AC/Taxotere
Radiation
Prophylactic Mastectomy on 3/30/2004 with lat flap reconstruction/implants
Original implants swapped out on 6/28/2005 for the cohesive gels
nancymarie is offline   Reply With Quote