HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Paula O

Her 2 Positive Breast Cancer Vaccine

Research Worth Watching: A Breast Cancer Vaccine to Decrease HER2+ Recurrence?
copied and pasted from: http://blog.dslrf.org/?p=2161
By DSLRF On Friday, September 26, 2014 · 15 Comments on blog

"As I’ve mentioned before, immunotherapy has become a hot topic in breast cancer research. It garnered a lot of attention from researchers in April at the American Association for Cancer Research 2014 annual meeting (which I wrote abouthere). And the same was true for the ASCO 2014 Breast Cancer Symposium, held earlier this month in San Francisco.

It was at the San Francisco meeting that I heard Elizabeth Mittendorf, a surgical oncologist at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, present findings from a phase II study on a new type of breast cancer vaccine that appeared to help prevent recurrences in women with HER2+ breast cancer.

The field of immunotherapy is focused on learning how to get the immune system—the body’s natural defense mechanism—to go after cancer cells. Typically, cancer cells are able to go about their business in a stealth fashion, turning off receptors that immune cells use to detect them. Researchers are trying to find a way to unblock and turn on T cells (a type of white blood cell that plays a central role in immune response) so that they can see and go after the cancer cells.

Mittendorf is studying a number of different types of breast cancer vaccines. The vaccine she discussed at the ASCO meeting is made up of a peptide derived from the HER2 protein called GP2. This peptide is exciting because it has the ability to get T cells to head out and kill HER2+ cancer cells. It does this by attaching itself to a subset of a group of molecules called HLA, which are on the outer surface of cells. There are 3 major and 3 minor types of HLA proteins that each person may have. The immune system uses the HLAs to differentiate the person’s own cells from those of invaders such as bacteria and viruses. Cancer cells alter the HLA proteins in ways that protect them from the immune system. The vaccine attempts to reverse this for those cancers that overexpress the HER2 protein.

Because the GP2 peptide is related to HER2 and can only attach to certain HLA molecules, the vaccine only has the potential to work in patients with HER+ tumors who have certain forms of HLA. This study looked at women who had the form called HLA-A2.

Women who were interested in enrolling in the study had their blood tested to determine the type of HLA they had. Only those who tested positive for HLA-A2 and had HER2+ tumors could enroll. The patients had to be considered to be at high-risk for recurrence because this would allow the researchers to detect a benefit from the vaccine quickly.

The researchers enrolled 190 women in the study; 89 received the vaccine along with granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF), a protein produced by T-cells, and 91 received GM-CSF alone. The women received one shot every month for six months followed by four booster shots given every six months.

After about 34 months, 88 percent of the women who received the vaccine were disease-free compared to 81 percent of the women who had not received the vaccine.

But when the researchers looked specifically at the women in the study who had tumors that tested 3 or higher on an IHC test which confirmed the HER2+ status and had received trastuzumab (Herceptin) prior to being vaccinated, they found that none of these women had had a recurrence. Mittendorf thinks this may be because Herceptin stimulates T-helper cells (cells that assist other white blood cells), it may get the immune system ready to take as much advantage as it can from the vaccine.

The next step is to do a larger, phase III study to see if these results hold up. If they do, this vaccine may be one of the first to become available to HER2+ breast cancer patients. While this is exciting in and of itself, this study also has other implications. If this vaccine works in this setting, might it be possible to use it to get the immune system to prevent HER2+ DCIS from developing into cancer? Or might the vaccine even prevent women from ever getting a HER2+ breast tumor?

Stay tuned, as this is only the beginning of many efforts to harness the immune system to treat and maybe prevent cancer."
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
waterdreamer

Re: Her 2 Positive Breast Cancer Vaccine

I tried to get onto this trial and I am Her2+++ but I did not have the right HLA type. Not everyone has A2 HLA, which means that this particular vaccine will not be applicable to everyone.
Nov 2009 Mets to lungs and bones.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Started Navelbine weekly. Did one round with Herceptin.
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
December 2013 scans show no sign of active cancer.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
May 2014 - stop Herceptin.
Sept 22, 2014 Brain MRI clear :) PET/CT Progression in lungs.
Sept 2014, Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin.
Nov 2014 - Decide to take a break from all treatment.
May 2015 - Brain met radiated with Novalis
July 2015 - Have progression in right lung.
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Nov 2015 - Thoracentesis 1500ml removed from right lung.
Dec 2015 - Two tiny 1mm brain mets radiated in right cerebellum.
Feb 2016 - Thoracentesis 2200ml drained from right lung
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
March 2016 - Thoracentesis 1650ml drained from right lung.
April 2016 – Thoracentesis 1500 ml drained from right lung.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
My doctor wants to put me on hospice.
Dec 23rd 2016 - I am granted compassionate use of Neratanib.
May 31st 2017 - still on Neratinib, feeling good.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
lkc Gumby

Re: Her 2 Positive Breast Cancer Vaccine

HLA-2a is a specific gene located in our DNA most commonly found in north asia and north american populations.
Which means that only those who carry this genetic marker would be a candidate for this vaccine.
These trials are all becoming genetic specific.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06