HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
kiwigirl

Location: Matakana which is one hour north of Auckland, New Zealand.
Exclamation OH what to do???

Hi all well things had been going well until ??? Last week had slight vision problems shaky vomiting. I had MRI done on brain and got really good new two of my tumors shrunk fro 6mm and 7mm to 2mm. Great now the bad news the big rotten one has grown again from 17mm to 23mm and i have a new problem mengines (not sure how to spell this but basically cancer) which is the layer of tissue between brain and skull in the frontal lobe. This has caused me my vision problems. Not sure of m next plan of attack i could have gamma knife on my grown tumor. But the lining of the brain not to sure. It must be smallish as they are not sure if the thickening is this. But side effects would indicate that it is.

I also have a sore back only when i walk not while sleeping and sometimes lying on the floor helps. If any one has any ideas? I think Brenda my have had some cancer in brain lining.

Thanks all I really wish my roller coaster ride would give me a break soon.

Lot of love to all
Jacqui xx
March 2010 continued on Herception untill 16 Dec 2010
May 2010 Ultra Sound .... ALL CLEAR... NED
August 2010 started vaccine trial University of Washington
7th Dec 2010 finished vaccine trial
20th Dec 2010 Port removed
3rd Feb no longer ned brain mets
23r Feb start VMAT radiation
August 2011 two new mets to brain and others starting to grow again !!!!
August start tykerb and xeloda
Dec 1 MRI all small brain mets gone. Largest shrunk by 50% only three small ones to go 17mm,8mm,6mm. Mets on there way out. Yeah
kiwigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
kiwigirl

Re: OH what to do???

Does anyone know of pertsutinab cross into blood brain yet?
Dec 1 MRI all small brain mets gone. Largest shrunk by 50% only three small ones to go 17mm,8mm,6mm. Mets on there way out. Yeah
Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Lani

No, pertuzumab is a very large molecule, like herceptin and does not cross the blood-brain barrier normally.

If you have leptomeningeal metastasis, intrathecal herceptin has been tried (Courtney had it, I believe, among others). Boswellia serata has been tried for l-m mets as well. Try using the search function above for leptomeningeal metastasis I know I have posted several articles about treatments in the past

Good luck!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
kiwigirl

thanks Lani. Yes they do think its leptomeningeal mets. Ive been vomiting a bit could that be from this?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
StephN

Jacqui -
Really very sorry to hear you are having these problems. After all you have tried so hard to deal with the brain mets.

I pray that your team will have a successful treatment for you - and very soon!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
ElaineM

Wink Re: OH what to do???

I know nothing about brain mets, but I want to say I am sorry to read your news. Stay strong !!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for success with what ever you decide to do.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Jackie07

Kiwigirl,

Sorry to hear about the new development. Below are two abstracts related to the subject (I believe both have been posted by Lani before) You might want to e-mail the writers directly (Curie Institute is supposed to be conducting a Phase I-II clinical trial. And the writer mentions Tyrosine-kinase inhibitor at the end of the article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine-kinase_inhibitor )

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Jun;127(3):841-4. Epub 2011 Mar 3.
Complete response in HER2+ leptomeningeal carcinomatosis from breast cancer with intrathecal trastuzumab.
Oliveira M, Braga S, Passos-Coelho JL, Fonseca R, Oliveira J.
Source
Medical Oncology Department, Instituto Português de Oncologia de Lisboa Francisco Gentil, Rua Professor Lima Basto, 1099-023 Lisbon, Portugal. mafalda.moliveira@gmail.com
Abstract
Trastuzumab, a monoclonal antibody against the HER2 receptor, is a major breakthrough in the treatment of HER2+ breast cancer. However, its high molecular weight precludes it from crossing the intact blood-brain barrier, making the central nervous system a sanctuary to HER2+ breast cancer metastases. We prospectively assessed functional outcome and toxicity of administering trastuzumab directly into the cerebrospinal fluid of a patient with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis (LC) and brain metastases from HER2+ breast cancer that had already been treated with other intrathecal chemotherapy, with no benefit. Upon signed informed consent, weekly lumbar puncture with administration of trastuzumab 25 mg was begun to a 44 year-old women with metastatic breast cancer (lymph node, bone, lung, and liver involvement) previously treated with tamoxifen, letrozole, anthracyclines, taxanes, capecitabine, intravenous trastuzumab, and lapatinib. She received 67 weekly administrations of intrathecal trastuzumab with marked clinical improvement and no adverse events. She survived 27 months after LC diagnosis. A complete leptomeningeal response, with no evidence of leptomeningeal metastasis at necropsy, was achieved. We believe that intrathecal trastuzumab administration should be prospectively evaluated to confirm clinical activity and optimize dose, schedule, and duration of treatment.

Bull Cancer. 2011 Apr;98(4):417-24.
[Leptomeningeal meningitis related to breast cancer overexpressing HER2: is there a place for a more specific treatment?].
[Article in French]
Gutierrez M, Lyazidi S, Brasseur L, Cvitkovic F, Le Scodan R.
Source
Institut Curie, hôpital René-Huguenin, 35, rue Dailly, 92210 Saint-Cloud, France. gutierrez@crh1.org
Abstract
Leptomeningeal metastases are very commonly associated with breast cancer. The prognosis is very poor in the short term with an overall median survival less than 6 months. Based on pragmatic and historical considerations intrathecal chemotherapy (IT) are considered to be the adequate treatment. However overall results are disappointing. Despite specific and symptomatic treatment, improvement in survival and quality of life remains very modest, highlighting the importance for ongoing research for developing new molecules or on improving the use a better use of those available today. The incidence of leptomeningeal metastases is particularly marked in cases of overexpression of HER2. The main hypothesis is there may be a better control of extra-cerebral localisations with trastuzumab therefore intra-cerebral recurrences may be encountered preferentially as they are not reached by this high molecular weight monoclonal antibody (148  kD). Analyses performed in the cerebrospinal fluid following intravenous trastuzumab showed extremely low levels of the antibody and support the hypothesis that leptomeningeal metastasis of HER2-overexpressing breast carcinoma remain potentially sensitive to HER2-type receptor inhibition by a target agent under the condition of by-passing the meningeal blood brain barrier. Intra-ventricular or IT administered with trastuzumab would reach high loco-regional therapeutic concentrations in the cerebro-meningeal without risk for normal non-expressing HER2 leptomeningeal tissue. This strategy has been successfully tested on several animal models. A limited number of administrations in humans have been described in the literature, with weekly doses up to 100  mg. No specific toxicity has been described and some data suggest a potential benefit in survival despite the real difficulties for adequate interpretations. Furthermore, a multicentric phase I-II clinical trial, of which the Curie institute is the sponsor and investigating the intra-thecal administration and the efficacy of the trastuzumab will begin very soon. More studies are needed to measure the exact impact of small molecule inhibitors of tyrosine kinase on the leptomeningeal localizations.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-19-2012 at 05:42 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
tricia keegan

I'm sorry you had this news, my friend found lying on the floor reduced the pain from her spine mets too, just wanted to wish you well and sorry I have no advice.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Mtngrl

Jacqui,

I'm so sorry for this rotten development. Cancer sucks.

I pray your doctors get this figured out soon.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Pray

Jacqui, I too am sorry for your news. I do not have mets but do have back pain it helps me to lay on a hard floor on my belly and spread my legs as far apart as i can. Odd Yes but it works. Gods blessings to you and your family.

Your Friend,

Nancy
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
krisvell

Kiwigirl;

Sorry you are on the rotten BC mets rolllercoaster. I think I'm sitting right behind you. Searching this site for Loni's posts; I found this very helpful. I often refer to the BC mets site: http://www.brainmetsbc.org/
Hang in there. Keep fighting.
Love & Hugs, Kris....
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
Rich66

A link with brain mets info:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42084
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
kiwigirl

Hi all thank you all for your response it is a great help.I need to be strong but am really having trouble. So what they want to do is 10 rounds of radiation to Lepto sight in back of head and after my mri on my back do some radiation on my back. I'm really really not happy with this as it makes me so sick. Then they are talking about intrathecal herceptin also. Any way they are wanting to start on tuesday. I suggested gamma but once again the menages has to much swelling so no flying. I'm very nervous about this whole treatment plan. I'll up date once i find out more.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
CoolBreeze

I'm really sorry you are dealing with this. All I can say is I hope your treatment is easy on you and you get to NED with it. Good luck and big hugs.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
Rolepaul

My wife had the same problem. The intrathecal Herceptin is scary, but should work. 80 mg once per week for a 60 kg woman was necessary for results. Add 2X wk topotecan. Get IV herceptin and navelbine (or T-DM1) as well. This worked within four weeks to clear brain and spine MRI scans. Reply with personal message if you want more info.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
Pray

Gods blessings to you Jacqui. I will be praying for you and your family.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
gdpawel

Leptomeningeal Disease

Kiwigirl

Unfortunately, cancer cells are too small to find on any scans unless they have grown into a lump. There can still be cancer cells in the body even though scans may have indicated that all the cancer had gone.

Cancer cells in the meninges is called by a number of names: Carcinomatous Meningitis (Lepteomeningeal Carcinomatous or Leptomeningeal metastasis), and is a condition caused by cancer cells getting into the thin sheets of body tissue that surround and protect the brain and spine. These sheets are called the meninges. Meningitis means inflammation of the meninges. Carcinomatous just means acting like a cancer. Most people are familiar with the type of meningitis caused by an infection, but with carcinomatous meningitis, it is the cancer cells in the meninges that cause the inflammation, not an outside infection.

Cancer cells do not always develop into an active secondary tumor when they have spread to a new site. Sometimes they stay inactive for many years. Even after a cancer appears to have been successfully treated, some cancer cells may still be elsewhere in the body. No one knows why some cancer cells stay inactive or what triggers them to form a secondary cancer.

Tumor cells reach the meninges by hematogenous (blood) spread or by direct extension from pre-existing lesions and are then disseminated throughout the neuroaxis by the flow of the cerebrospinal fluid. Patients present with signs and symptoms from injury to nerves that traverse the subarachnoid space, direct tumor invasion into the brain or spinal cord, alterations in blood supply to the nervous system, obstruction of normal cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow pathways or general interference with brain function.

Secondary cancers from a primary cancer can develop in different parts of the body, including the brain or spine. Cancer cells do not always develop into an active secondary tumor when they have spread to a new site. Sometimes they stay inactive for many years. So, even after a cancer appears to have been successfully treated, some cancer cells may still be elsewhere in the body. No one knows why some cancer cells stay inactive or what triggers them to form a secondary cancer.

Diagnosis is most commonly made by lumbar puncture, to look for malignant cells or elevated protein levels in the spinal fluid, although the CSF cytology is persistently negative in about 10% of patients with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis. A MRI of the brain and spine to look for enhancement of meningeal tissue. Radiology studies may reveal subarachnoid masses, diffuse contrast enhancement of the meninges or hydrocephalus without a mass lesion.

Doctors estimate that about 5 out of every 100 patients who have cancer develop carcinomatous meningitis. It is most common in breast cancer, but it can occur with any type of cancer. The cancer cells in the meninges can cause a range of symptoms, including confusion, headaches and weakness, also head pain, cranial nerve involvement, hearing problems and back pain.

The condition is very difficult to treat. The main aim is to help control symptoms and not cure the disease. Chemotherapy injected into the spinal fluid (via Ommya Reservoir in the brain) or radiotherapy to the brain are both treatments for Carcinomatous Meningitis. Some patients respond to these treatments, but the prognosis is generally poor. There are no set guidelines for treating this condition as oncologists don't really know which treatments work best.

Traditional treatment has been radiation therapy to symptomatic sites and intrathecal Methotrexate. The FDA has just recently approved a drug for Methotrexate toxicity. Voraxaze (glucarpidase) is an intravenously delivered recombinant enzyme.

Another alternative to Methotrexate is Cytarabine (cytosine arabinoside) or Ara-C. It is an anti-metabolite (like Methotrexate) which stops cells making and repairing DNA. Cancer cells need to make and repair DNA in order to grow and multiply. Ara-C is a clear liquid that can be dripped into a vein (intravenous infusion), into the spinal fluid (intrathecally) or by an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously).

There have been some clinical trials using Temodar (temozolomide) instead of Methotrexate, Ara-C, or combination gemcitabine (Gemzar) plus Thiotepa in treating patients with CM from a solid tumor.

There may be more effective treatment for this disease. A small molecule drug (a tyrosine kinase inhibitor that Jackie mentions), like Tarceva may be able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier (BBB). Small molecule intervention can be beneficial by dissolving through the capillary cell membranes and absorbed into the brain.

What may be another alternative is high doses of two small molecule TKI's (Iressa and Tarceva), given together. High-dose Tamoxifen could then be given continuously as a potentiator and an anti-angiogenic effect. There have been clinical trials with Iressa for this disease in NSCLC. I'm sure that Tarceva and/or Iressa would be more tolerable than Methotrexate, a mean and nasty drug. And you don't have to take them intrathecally.

Best of luck!

Greg

Carcinomatous Meningitis: Taxane Induced?

http://cancerfocus.org/forum/showthread.php?t=648
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
NEDenise

Jacqui,
Sheesh! I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I'll be praying for relief from the nasty side effects, and a quick return to NED.
Hugs
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Ceesun

Kiwigal, Just sending along my very best wishes for a positive outcome. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
kiwigirl

thank you all for your support it seems to quite a tricky thing to get rid of. So far I'm having radiation which my onc said he could get a great result and get rid of this. I only have three rads left and to be honest i not sure i believe him. The symptoms come and go i have blurred vision in morning sometimes a sore back (spine) and feeling sick and lost wanting to eat and blocked ears. And of course this makes you feel down. Thank you Rolepaul as your info from you was very helpful. My is the leptomenigeal mastitis in the menages. I'll keep you posted as to what we do next.

Luv to all
Jacqui