HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
patz64

Hair Loss

Hi Everyone,
I'm just curious as to when people lost their hair. I am 13 days post my first chemo (cytoxan, taxotere, herceptin) and so far I haven't lost my hair. Some people have told me that the loss occurs between day 13 and 17 post chemo. Someone else said up to 3 weeks post chemo. My one friend said it was about 2 1/2 weeks post chemo, and her head started tingling, and she got in the shower and just rubbed all the hair right out. Some people say it's a slow thinning. I just hate waiting for it to happen.
Also, has anyone experienced any skin side effects? My face has broken out with HUGE pimples, and I also got a smaller break out on my shoulders and back. Also my hands and neck got a rash that was kind of itchy for several days. Don't know if this is more related to the chemo or the steroids.
My next chemo is next week. This time I'm going to try the claritin to see if that helps prevent the pain from the neulasta injection.
Thanks everyone.
Pat
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Ellie F

Re: Hair Loss

Hi
Mine started to drop out at 17 days but took about six weeks before it went altogether. Hoping you're lucky and it stays with you.
Cheers
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
jra40

Welcome Pat! My hair took about 2 1/2 weeks after chemo to start falling out. It was gradual so I decided to shave it since it was shedding all over the house and my clothes. After I shaved it, it was kind of liberating for me. I made sure to have a good wig in place before it fell out, helps in the process of dealing with the hair loss. I now have a full head of hair so remember that the hair loss is temporary.

I had the Nuelasta shot too and I took Aleve for the bone aches I was experiencing.

You've been through alot already - hope things will be getting better for you!

Jessica
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
snolan

Mine started falling out at 3 weeks. I just shaved my head as it was getting to messy. I did not do the wigs (I'm too cheap) just did the scarfs and hats, was a little cold during the winter. Getting my first hair cut this Friday. Hoping the cowlick stay, kind of like the curly look.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
tricia keegan

Hi Pat, I lost mine day 17 but had adriamycin, it took about two weeks for all of it to go and my scalp was very sore and tender until it was all gone.
Just remember it IS temporary
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
patz64

Well, I had my second chemo today. I took some claritin tonight to prepare for tomorrow's neulasta injection. My hair started falling out pretty badly last Wednesday, so I got it cut really short (and I actually like it). It is still falling out every day in the shower, but at least it's not as messt now that it is so short. I am just taking it one day at a time. i'm not going to rush into shaving my head...I will just do it when I'm ready. Right now the hair is getting really thin, and I have a small bald spot in the back that I can still cover with hair. I am prepared with a TON of hats, and one wig so far, and some scarves. One day at a time!!!!
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
jra40

Stay strong Pat! It's probably the toughest part of this whole process but always remember that it is TEMPORARY.
3/15/11 - Began weekly Taxol/Herceptin infusions along with 750mg of Tykerb taken by mouth daily
6/28/11 - Finished last cycle of Taxol
7/27/11 - Breast MRI shows tumor has dissolved, remarkable reaction to chemo
8/31/11 - Lumpectomy, Sentinel Node biopsy. Node negative, clear margins, 7mm of cancer left over from chemo.
10/05/11 - Started radiation, 5 days a week for 7 weeks.
11/8/11 - Finished radiation
3/21/12 - Last Herceptin!
3/26/12 - Port removed!
Tamoxifen for 5 years
8/4/15 - Hysterectomy & bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. Due to large fibroids. No cancer!
8/8/15 - Started Arimidex
jra40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
YellowTail

Hi Pat, it sounds like the choices you have made regarding your hair are just right for you. I did the same thing went from long hair to short and then when the tingling scalp began I had it cut even shorter probably to 1" in length, I loved both short cuts. I did order a wig and in the meantime my hair began to fall out, I thought it made me look sicker than I was actually feeling so off to my hair stylist again and we shaved it off. Like JRA40 it was a liberating experience - my children, hubby and friends loved it, they all like it when I am bald or wear bright scarves. It was hard to sleep with the tingling scalp then when I was bald I found it very cold on my head and neck, I still sleep with a night cap so much warmer. I am now waiting for it to grow back now-my hair is like peach fuzz right now. I did not loose my eyebrows entirely until after my third round of taxol. I still have my eyelashes and I am going into my 2-week after all my chemo treatments.

Pat, remain strong and embrace the changes we go through on this journey. I think of myself as a butterfly it is a lovely process of rebirth.

Take good care.
YellowTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
BonnieR

My hair loss with a gradual thinning. Shedding. I never lost all my hair entirely. Sort of looked like an ostrich! Never had the itching. Hated wigs. Mostly wore some sort of hat. I like the look of bald women. Attractive and strong.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote