HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Sheryl H

Taxotere - no nausea meds - trouble?

I am suppoesed to get my first taxotere and herceptin treatment tomorrow. The oncology nurse apparently forgot to call in my anti-nausea meds. How much trouble am I in?
Sheryl H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Chelee

Sheryl, Its hard to say...everyone is different. But you will probably be ok till the pharmacy gets them in for you. I say that because when they give you your infusion they usually have something in the IV to control nausea. That *should* get you by till they get them ready at your pharmacy. Its usually the 3rd day when you might feel a bit sick to your stomach. Just make sure you get them before the 3rd day and you will be fine. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Beckie

I think you should be ok, but as Chelee said, everyone is different. They usually start you out with a cocktail which should control reactions, especially on your first dose. I never had any nausea with taxotere, but I am having a little with navelbine. I hope you have as few side effects as I did, and that it is very effective for you.

Beckie
6/06 - Stage 4, Her2+++, er/pr-
Mets to lungs(largest 3 cm), liver (largest 5.5 cm), and bones
Began taxotere, herceptin, & aredia
7/06 - radiation to lower spine & left shoulder for pain
8/06 - everything smaller
12/06 - stopped taxotere (toe infections)
5/07 - bone mets advancing
6/07 - add navelbine to herceptin & aredia
6/07 - discovered brain mets (3 in cerebellum, largest 2 cm.)
7/07 - WBR, change to Tykerb/Xeloda
9/07 - targeted radiation
10/08 - started navelbine/herceptin
2/09 - brain mets - targeted radiation
5/09 - mets in liver progressing, changed to Ixempra
7/09 - mets in liver still going, to the brain again, on gemzar now
9/09 - gemzar failed, started Doxil today

I know Who holds the future, and I know He holds my hand.
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Belinda

I had chronic nausea and vomiting on EC - so far on taxol and herceptin (6th of 12 weekly today) have had but one fleeting moment of nausea - I reckon it was a leftover from ec and not taxol/herceptin at all, and it was when I was tired - only lasted 2 mins (like a flush) - no need for any anti-nausea meds at all - get the ones through the drip, but have taken nothing else. Everyone is different but you may well be fine. Good luck! Bx
  • Diagnosed 3 Jan 2007, Stage IIb, Mastectomy and axillary clearance 10 Jan 07, 6 of 19 nodes affected, multi-focal cancer, HER2 positive. Second mastectomy (prophylactic). Chemo - AC 3 months, Taxol 3 months - then radiation 5 weeks.
  • Aug 2011 - Diagnosed with Stage IV mets to lung, sternum and 12 or so thoracic nodes - Rads to Sternum, then weekly abraxane and herceptin for 12 weeks.
  • May 2012- good scans - all nodes still about normal size, hole in sternum repairing, lung tumour 'obliterated'.
    Ongoing herceptin every 3 weeks. Bloods still all good! Life good!
  • March 2013 - recurrence - tumours in lungs and mediastinum (coughing up blood) - immediate radiation treatment to right lung and mediastinum, still on Herceptin, and 3 months of Vinoralbine - stable for a little while!
  • Coughing and breathlessness started again September 2013, treated as radiation-induced fibrosis (which can be seen on scans - albeit stable). ie puffers, steroids
  • January 2014 - cough becomes bloody again, scans show big mediastinal tumour wrapped around and choking the life out of my right main bronchus, radiation deemed off limits as my lungs are hypersensitive to radiation (measured by existing damage from 2013) .....................- ie I am in the 5% of people likely to suffer severe radiation damage to the lungs that they warn you about before starting treatment! (so special! :) )
  • Started chemo Feb 2014 - continuing Herceptin (continuous since Aug 2011), with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine. Discontinued Gemcitabine because of se's. Starting cycle 5 Herc/Carbo 5 May 2014.
  • Meantime.....coughing and breathlessness increased to SCARY levels with racing heartbeat that won't slow down, breath that won't come back, even just walking to the bathroom or up 3 or 4 steps.
  • ICU from May 5 2014, collapsed right lung due to tumour, small pulmonary embolism (left), tumours growing in mediastinum left and right, dvt lower right leg
  • Plan seems to be bronchoscope next week to see if tumour can be lasered and stent inserted in right bronchus to reopen air access to lower parts of right lung. If that is successful might be able to have brachytherapy to worst tumour, otherwise no more options for external radiotherapy.
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
PatS

I didn't have herceptin but I never got anti-nausea meds with taxotere other than what they gave me during the infusion.

Pat
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
jo50

Nausea meds

I had Taxol not Taxotere but close enough. No nausea meds - heavy Benadryl and I think decadron before first couple (snooze time for me at the cancer center!), then lighter Benadryl for next one, then nothing before the rest of the series. I think the taxanes are the "aches and pains" drug - not the heavy nausea drugs (altho my apologies to those who did experience nausea with them!!) I did 12 weekly Taxols - had flu-y aches for a few days in between, but found it all to be very bearable. Good luck with your treatment. Jo
jo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
chrisy

Sheryl,
First of all, think positive - don't claim any side effects, especially nausea before you even have the treatment. You do want to be prepared, of course, but also be open to the possibility you might not have any problems. As Chelee and others said, everyone is different.

I would expect that you would get some anti-nausea stuff in your premeds - at least I did with Taxol. That should help. Then make sure they get your prescription in so you can have that handy. They may also have some samples.

As I said, I had Taxol, not Taxotere, weekly and never needed any meds except what was in the IV premeds. I did need Ativan to "put me down" from the Decadron, tho

Hope things go well, keep us posted.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
tricia keegan

I had no anti nausea meds with Taxol and was fine.i hope you will be too!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
harrie

I had no antinausea meds for after treatment and didn't need it. The only antinausea meds I had was the premedication before my treatment.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
tousled1

When I was getting Taxatore I received Decadron the day before, day of and day after treatment. I never received any antinausea medication and was never nauseated during treatment.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
ExpectAMiracle

I took Decadron the day before, day of and day after my TCH treatments. I also received Kytril as part of my chemo treatment. I didn't have any nausea the first two rounds of treatment and didn't take any anti-nausea meds either. The last two rounds, I was quite nauseated on days 3 and 4 and took Zofran for that. You will probably want to have something on hand "just in case" for a couple of days after treatment. I don't think you will have a problem "day of" because they will most likely have something for nausea in your "cocktail". Ask your nurse if that's true.

Determined to be a VICTOR not VICTIM - by the grace of God!
DX 2/8/07 at 48
1.75 cm IDC in left breast, Stage 1
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Lumpectomy 3/7/07, 5/5 nodes clear, clear margins
Starting TCH on 4/9/07, every 3 weeks X 4 treatments - Completed on 6/12/2007
33 rads to began 7/2/07 and completed on 8/22/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until April '08
ExpectAMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Sheryl's Taxotere

How'd it go, Sheryl? I'm hoping since I just saw your post you fared well. Most seem to report this. Not so for me -- but every body is different. Kytril doesn't work for me, it seems. Go know. The first night I was beyond nauseous, but had Zofran. They told me to take it tomorrow morning. I heard the sound of my voice moaning and groaning. I realized I was flailing in bed. After an hr of that I woke my husb up. Take the Zofran, he said. But they said to take it tmrrw morning. (I had asked but what if I don't need it? The nurse thought for a sec then said TAKE IT ANY WAY.) What time is it?, Paul asked me. Midnight I reported. IT'S TMRRW! TAKE IT NOW. I did and I felt great in a half hr.

For less nauseous moments, when "qeazy" I tk Phenergan. Didn't need the big guns for that. Zofran knocked me out, but made me feel Life was tolerable. Phenergan tk the edge off. I had pain meds at the ready. Ativan if need be (mood elevator).

I wish you luck, Sheryl. Please let us know how yr 1st treatment went. I'm so jealous of all you who had no real side effect. The good news is -- Taxotere eradicated ev met tumor in my liver! Same to you! Lot of love... ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote