HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Cathya

Last night I found a large lump

I found a large lump just above my belly button. I finished 4 AC and 4 Taxol followed by radiation in August. Since then I had a bone scan, abdominal ultrasound and chest x-ray.....all good. During the last month I have had pinchy type feelings around my stomach and thought it was strange but I have an appointment with my onc in Jan so was going to mention it then. This seems so sudden I can't get over it. I was node negative but a tumor in my supraclavicular node. My tumor was 3 cm so large, ER/PR positive. Will they remove this do you think or just do chemo? I am calling the onc this morning....big family dinner this evening. I am very afraid but thank god for all of you. My kids are home from university so I wish this hadn't happened just now.
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
Cathya

Oooops. Also am on Herceptin....wondering if it is not working for me? I got my loading dose during my last taxol treatment and have been on it since....April I think. I was her-2 borderline.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Cathya

All my worries....really I do worry that herceptin doesn't work well for borderlines like me. I'm having a Catscan in January so I'll find out. BUT.....my doctors office called me back this morning and they think I have a hernia!!!! Yah! I'm so happy. Never had one of those before but I am to go to my regular doctor and have it checked out. If not, of course call them back, etc. Really understanding about me worrying that this bump was cancer.....my goodness I wonder if I'll ever not worry that every bump is cancer. Sorry I took up space and time for this.

Happy, healthy New Year

Cathy
Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
al from Canada

strange place for a bump

Hi Cathy,
Once you have had cancer you always seen to sweat the slightest quirk but this is a very strange place to get a lump.....really doubt if it's mets. Enjoy the rest of your holidays and see your Doctor when you can.
Regards,
Al
Old 12-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
eric

Cathya,

I'm so happy to hear that it appears to be a hernia. I can imagine how scared you must have been. Enjoy your kids the holidays and let us know as soon as the hernia is confirmed.

Enjoy!

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
pauline

I'm a bit late replying to this post as happily it seems to be resolved!

However-I had a similar lump above the navel that I thought might have been a hernia, but actually developed as a result of a resolving haematoma from my tram flap reconstruction. My oncologist felt it was nothing serious but worthy of a scan to check it out, and all was OK. It just went away by itself over time.

Happy New Year to you all!

Cheers
Pauline
pauline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Maryanne

Just read your post this morning and I too found a painful lump of sorts but higher up sort of the base of my sternum last week. Am stage 1 also and did A/C Taxol, radiation and into my 8 month of Herceptin. Seeing my onc tomorrow. Kids home from college and a house full of guests.
Trying very hard to keep this all a secret right now, but finding it all very difficult!

May Miracles abound for us in 2006,
Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Cathya

Maryanne;

I am so sorry to hear your news. I go to my doctor tomorrow but am no longer worried. I am stage 3c but really don't go by stages.....I used to be stage 4 in the US (3 in Canada) but my met to the supraclavicular has been downgraded in the US to stage 3c just recently. You also might find out it's nothing to worry about...or not cancer which in my books make it nothing to worry about. I also didn't tell anyone about it but now I think that's not a good idea. Perhaps you have one person there you can talk to. So glad this site is here for us. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. All the best.

Cathy
Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
Barbara2

Cathya, I, too, am happy to hear you probably have a hernia! People with "only" a hernia to worry about could not relate to a cancer patient's response of being delighted when learning she has a hernia!! Good news.

Maryanne, we pray that what you are concerned about will also turn out to be nothing of great importance. Like you girls, I also have kids home from the university, so it is a fun and busy time. Maybe they will keep your mind occupied so time will pass quickly until your visit to the doctor. Be positive.

Blessings, Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
Unregistered

Hi Cathya-
I didn't realize one could be downgraded in stages. I thought if breast cancer came back it was automatically a Stage 4 and would always be a Stage 4. Am I wrong? God Bless- Cathy
Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
BubblesMom

Maryanne,

Just read your post...sorry to hear about this latest development. Know that you are not alone (even though it may sometimes feel like it) and that there are sooo many people praying and pulling for you! God bless and BIG hugs to/for you.

Denise
BubblesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
Cathya

I went to my doctor this morning and she confirmed a hernia. She found the hole and was very definite about it. We both laughed. She also told me that my hair will likely stay curly. Imagine that....my whole life with straight hair and now curly. It's great and will be easy to keep short now. I then went for my herceptin treatment. By the way, I wasn't downgraded when cancer re-occured, I originally had a 3 cm tumor with negative nodes but a tumor in my supraclavicular area. It's unusual apparently but does happen. In the US this presentation was classified as a stage 4 but I notice that it has recently been downgraded to 3c which I think is a new class. In Canada this was done a few years ago. I think having a node there is equal to twenty some nodes positive under the arm or something. So, stages do change in cancer .... perhaps someday we'll all be stage 1 with new treatments and cures.

How is MaryAnne? I kept thinking about her doctor's appointment all day? Are you there?

Cathy