HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Unhappy Acne-like rash around nose and nosebleeds on Tykerb

Hi,

I've been on Tykerb for 4 months straight now, and have had some bad itching, but the acne-like rash on my face has been mild.

Just recently, pimply rash spots have sprung up just under my nostrils, and even immediately inside my nose. These are very annoying, a bit painful, and tend to pop and bleed when I blow my nose, so they aren't healing as well as spots have on my chin and elsewhere on my face.

Has anyone found a remedy that works well for the Tykerb rash, especially in and around the nose? Anyone else experiencing nosebleeds on Tykerb?

I've been using Regenecare, a wound gel containing lidocaine, collagen and aloe, but it doesn't seem to work well inside and just under my nose - maybe it gets rubbed off too quickly when I use tissues (I have seasonal nasal allergies).

It's certainly not a deal-breaker for the treatment, but I'm taking it along with Herceptin, without any chemo, for now, and we're not even sure it's doing any good...

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley
1999 - off Tamoxifen, on Arimidex
2003 - dx'd Stage IV - lymph nodes & lungs. ER-/PR-/HER2neu+++.
Tx: Herceptin & Taxotere (6 cycles).
2005 - 2.9cm x 3.6cm brain tumor. Craniotomy, CyberKnife. 9 mo. staph aureus infection at incision site - 2nd craniotomy. Two small brain mets CyberKnife'd.
2006 - revisit Xeloda - dosage lowered to 2500mg/day, 5 cycles.
2007 - "spot" dx'd on qtrly brain MRI - same location as CyberKnife 7/05. > by 2-4mm per quarter - - radiation injury or re-growing cancer? Tykerb added to Herceptin - July, still "watching & waiting". Otherwise, fully functional...

"The majority of people are not only afraid of holding a wrong opinion, they are afraid of holding an opinion alone." Kierkegaard
Sandy in Silicon Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
hutchibk

I don't get outright nosebleeds, but I do have raw nasal tissue inside my nose that will give me a blush on tissue when I blow my nose. I use antibiotic ointment inside my nose when it is at it's worst.

Consider if any of these rash fixes might help:

RASH
As far as rash, here are some of the fixes that can be tried by your doctor...

*Employ a proactive approach in managing skin reactions.
*Suggest that patients use a thick, alcohol-free emollient cream.
*Suggest that patients use a sunscreen of SPF 25 or higher, preferably
containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide
* If patient presents with rash, verify appropriate administration of drug and proceed with the following therapy algorithm:

Mild Rash:
Minimally located
No impact on activities of daily life (ADL)
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of mild rash occurrence across bridge of nose and cheeks)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity.

***Use:
Topical hydrocortisone 1% or 2.5% cream and/or Clindamycin 1% gel

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Moderate Rash:
Generalized
Mild Symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Minimal impact on ADL
No sign of superinfection

(shows picture of red worsened rash occurrence (pruritus) across nose, around nostrils, top lip, lower cheeks, and entire chin.)

Continue EGFR targeted treatment @current dose and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of the skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens or does not improve, proceed to next step.

Severe Rash:
Generalized
Severe symptoms (e.g. pruritus, tenderness)
Significant impact on ADL
Potential sign of superinfection

(shows picture of worsened rash occurrence similar to moderate with more facial coverage and continuation to shoulders and neck)

Reduce EGFR targeted therapy as per label and monitor for change in severity. Continue treatment of skin reaction with the following:

***Use:
Hydrocortisone 2.5% cream or Clindamycin 1% gel
or Pimecrolimus 1% cream
Plus Doxycycline 100mg BID or Monocycline 100mg BID
Plus Medrol dose pack

Reassess after 2 weeks, if reaction worsens, dose interruption or discontinuation may be necessary.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote