HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Christine MH

"Dr Javier Menendez, of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, said oleic acid blocks the action of a cancer-causing oncogene called HER-2/neu which is found in about 30 percent of breast cancer patients."

"They found that oleic acid not only suppressed the action of the oncogene, it also improved the effectiveness of the breast cancer drug Herceptin, a targeted therapy made by Swiss drug maker Roche Holding AG (ROG.VX) that works against the HER-2/neu gene."

These studies were based on oleic acid's effect on individual cells, but mice studies are planned.

URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62640-2005Jan10.html

This seems to be part of a larger research project studying the effect of fatty acids on HER2 cancer. In the past year, Dr. Menendez has also published articles showing that gamma linolenic acid (found in evening primrose oil) and alpha linolenic acid (found in flaxseed and canola oil) may help increase the chemo sensitivity of HER2 cancers to taxotere and navelbine and that the combination of the two fatty acids may even kill HER2 cells. I hope he plans to test these things in mice as well.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
Janet/FL

Ok, now what? Fish oils, olive oil, and now canola and flaxseed! Wish I had an idea as to how much is thought to help as that is a lot of oil! Luckily I am on a low carb diet so the oil isn't too much of a problem.
Flax seed, freshly ground is good as a cereal.

Janet/FL
Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Christine MH

Well, it's early days yet on this research (which is why I highlighted that this finding has only been made for cells) but I think it is good that Dr Hernandez is looking into these things and trying to figure out whether a high olive-oil diet might help HER2 BC patients since it would be a relatively harmless way of improving things if it worked.

I suppose one could just use olive oil instead of other oils, although obviously not for all things.

From what I have read, Hernandez's other work on fatty acids and HER2 is geared mainly related to improving treatment, rather than related to diet per se.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Christine MH

Jane,

I checked out the oils you mentioned and it turns out that some of them have quite a bit of oleic acid in them already:

Fish oils: cod liver oil is about 24% oleic acid
canola: 58% oleic acid
flaxseed: 39% oleic acid.

So, it's not just olive oil, although that is the best (56%-85% oleic acid).
Old 01-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Bruce

At this point in time I think it would be worth using olive oil for cooking and as dressing on salads. After all it is non toxic and should not harm other orgins such as liver and heart. If it helps to defeat her/2 neu cancer and increases the chances for survival until a true vaccine can be found I see no harm in it. I have not talked to my wifes doctor about this article yet but I will do so on her next infusion date. Has any one else talked to there doctor about Incorerating olive oil into there diets?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 AM   #6
Christine MH

Hi Bruce,

I haven't talked to my oncologist about this, since I have completed treatment for primary BC and am just trying to keep the thing from coming back. I only see him every few months.

I did a bit of research on oleic acid and olive oil in general. The only downside I could find in Pubmed was that diets high in oleic acid have been linked to an increased risk of adult asthma. On the other hand, two tablespoons of olive oil a day seem to benefit the heart by lowering bad lipids and raising good ones and heart problems are undoubtedly a bigger risk. As long as the olive oil replaces other fats rather than being added to them, the heart doctors seem to think it is ok.

Personally, one of the questions I had was whether any possible adulteration of olive oil might make a difference to the oleic acid level. Currently more stuff sold as "olive oil" is consumed internationally than is produced. The most common substance used in adulteration is hazelnut oil, which is much cheaper and virtually impossible to detect. The Spanish olive oil industry is offering a reward to the first scientist who can develop a test for detecting hazelnut oil in olive oil. Fortunately, part of the reason that hazelnut is difficult to detect is that it contains a very similar composition of fatty acids, including similar amounts of oleic acid. Other oils can be used as adulterants, but only at very low levels of concentration. So hazelnut oil wouldn't have all the polyphenols of olive oil that are believed to be beneficial, but if oleic acid is the key for HER2, it shouldn't cause problems.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
Bruce

Thanks for your reply Christine.

I will see my wifes Oncologist this coming Wed and ask him about Olic Acid. He is a very praticle person and has told us to try natural remedies before but to let him always no first to make sure it will not interfere with her herceptin infusions.
I am very interested in the vacine program Lolly is going through. We live very near the U of W where this program is taking place. I do believe the immune system is the answer to HER/2neu cancer and many other types.

Regards Bruce
Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
michele u

Christine,
i went to a local health food place and bought Cold pressed Flax seed oil. It is a liquid and has omega 3,6 and 9. Which oleic acid(olive oil) is a omega 9. I've been drinking 1 tablespoon a day. It's very yucky but hey, if it works.
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Bruce

Hi Michele

My wife found Cold pressed Flax seed oil in capsil (softgel) form. We found it at a Samsclub Wharehouse. We have not checked Costco yet, But you might want to try taking it this way it would be less yucky.

Regards Bruce
Old 01-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
madubois63

Being Greek, I grew up eating only olive oil in my foods...and here I am, Her2+. I'd love to think this was the answer. I take Noni and mataki muchroom. If it's natural and it doesn't interfere with chemo, WHY NOT!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #11
Janet/FL

Bruce
Flaxseed oil is said to go rancid so fast that it is best to grind your own seed. Use a cheap coffee grinder and grind your own. This is good as a cold cereal. Don't heat it. Easy to grind fresh everyday. You can get very fresh flaxseed oils at some health food stores, but it it still better to grind fresh.

Janet/FL

>My wife found Cold pressed Flax seed oil in capsil (softgel) form. We found it at a >Samsclub Wharehouse. We have not checked Costco yet, But you might want to >try taking it this way it would be less yucky.

Regards Bruce
Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
Bruce

Thanks Janet --
Did not no it could go rancent in softgel capsul. I wonder if you kept the capsulses in a refigerator?
Anyway I did ask my wifes Onc. about Olive Oil and he said no problem. It would not interfer with the herceptin or Xeloda that she currently is taking. He feels there are some combinations out there that may work in there natural form.
Regards Bruce
Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #13
Christine MH

Hello M A Dubois,

Well, of course, it would be wrong to imply that a bit of olive oil was all one needed to combat a HER2+ cancer! The research just indicates that at least some highly HER2 cells seem to become less active when exposed to oleic acid and that may make herceptin more effective. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything really dramatic like cause all the cancer cells to die. Still, if it might help and has no real downside, I figure it is worth a try.

Christine