HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Jackie

Hello ladies,
I have mets to bones, skin, and had 3 under arm enlarged lymph nodes. Her2+++, Er+. Started herceptin/navelbine 07/03 and was doing well til Ca27/29 count jumped up this month. Elected to stay on navelbine for now, will get scans done w/in 2 wks. I know I'll probably have to switch to another chemo drug if progression is confirmed and my onc mentioned a few choices. I'm scared about the relatively short amt of time navelbine was effective and going from dropping to rising counts w/in 30 days, and am concerned about the side effects of the other drugs. I don't know if it's a vanity issue or not, but I really don't want to go thru another hair loss. I know it's a minor point when making choices about your life, but I can't help it! Can someone tell me what side effects to expect with xeloda, taxol, taxoterre and carboplatin (onc mentioned another beginning with a g but forgot and I can't find the list.reminded me of gemstar). I have to say that I would be in a great deal more despair if I hadn't found this site, but even knowing that there are other drugs available doesn't eliminate all of the fear and depression. Thank you for any help you can send my way.
Also, I appreciate the info on glutamine and have already gotten some. Shame on me for not posting a prompt thanks, but the bad news came about the same time. You are all so brave...I want to be, too!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
lolam

I think the key is to try other combos. there is one out there that is just right for your particular circumstances. We always have alternatives so you keep trying. The best side effect I know of is giving me one more day!! with or without body parts or hair or all that. In the midst of all that I still open my eyes and see the new day and love my family and friends and have fellowship with God. Life is certainly scarey at times, but i would still rather be alive and scared than not. Look how far you have already come?? It will be okay. You wait and see. A new combo will do the trick. You just keep the faith and rest! Tomorrow will always be a better day. Hugs, Lola
Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 AM   #3
Kitty

Jackie,

I take taxol/carboplatin/herceptin on a weekly basis and have not lost my hair. It is very effective treatment (I have liver mets which are almost totally gone after 11 weeks) and quite easy on your system. Lots of good combos out there left to try.

Kitty