HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #21
AlaskaAngel

Research connections

After mention of the basis for this possible vaccine, I was watching a different interview on TV (Creating Synthetic Life), and in that interview, one of the researchers involved in that was already speculating that there may be a way to apply that brand-new research result to the protein mentioned in the Cleveland research.

There are many possible ways in which the puzzle pieces might be put together, and the powers of computers combined with the internet itself as a tool in letting people see and share ideas so much faster are very dynamic in moving forward.

At the same time, we are becoming more and more dependent on them, and on our trust in their accuracy. Computers don't have "common sense", and the outcome they provide is dependent upon humans too.

Anyway, I think it is especially good that diverse areas of science are aware of each other's work, and are so much more rapidly aware than in the past, and can be faster to integrate with each other in planning future efforts.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #22
mamacze

Re: Research connections

Hold the fort! How does this relate to the breast cancer vaccine that many of us already received in clinical trial with the tumor vaccine group in Seattle? I was diagnosed with mets to my liver and lungs at the age of 49 and after my herceptin and several vaccinations in clinical trial, here I am 6 years out with No Evidence of Disease. In my opinion, the vaccine is already in clinical trial; and at least in my case it is working! (so far...fingers and toes crossed!)
Love Kim from CT

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
Sherryg683

Re: CNN Report Promising Cure Vaccine

"Tuohy now wants to move forward in testing the vaccine in human patients. Enrollment could begin next year according to the Cleveland Clinic."

This is also stated in the article. Am I wrong to assume that they will begin testing or trials on patients that already have cancer, metastatic or otherwise...not sure. It may take 10 years for it to reach market for "healthy" women. But I take it to mean that we may be getting access to it in forms of trials within a year or so....correct me if I'm wrong...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #24
Ellie F

Sherry
That was my understanding also. It may take a long time to be availble prophylactically but may be given earlier to those who already have bc.

Kim
Glad to hear from you and pleased you are doing so well.
maybe for a subset of patients we already have a 'cure' in the treatment they have already received. it is so frustrating that we don't yet know what is effective for all.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
StephN

Guess it depends on which phrases in the article one latches on to that give us our impression of what it means.

"Scientists at Ohio's Cleveland Clinic are touting a new prototype vaccine to prevent breast cancer as "promising." "

The key words for me are "prevent" and its forms.
I did not see any place where they said WHO would be a trail candidate. Some might assume it is US who already have the disease since we are the first to get into the normal drug trials.

This vaccine contains a protein PRESENT in breast cancer and not in normal healthy tissue unless the person is lactating. If we already have the protein in our body, I am not sure adding more is the right approach.

Further down in the article it is stated that the inspiration for this vaccine came from the programs that have successfully vaccinated children from measles, etc.

The hoped for end result is to PREVENT the disease, but how they will get there is not addressed. Just that they hope human trials can begin - even though they don't have funds or FDA approval. Marketing is probably hoping a group with deep pockets will take interest.

If further animal trials show the same good result, I hope there will be a way to move it along.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
Nancy L

Please go to http://blog.dslrf.org/?p=189 to read what Dr. Susan Love has to say. The media is not doing any of us a favor to hype this story up so prematurely. I would fight to be first in line for a proven vaccine and I hope and pray something like this will be available sooner rather than later. But for now, I see new options of targeted therapy as our best answer to living with breast cancer.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #27
Rich66

Hopefully a part of a trend:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6542C020100605

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cel...k=MW_news_stmp

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #28
Sherryg683

Reading your link Rich made me happy and sad. My brother died of melanoma 2 years ago. Wish this would have been available to him, might have helped. ...sherry

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #29
Rich66

Ugg. Yeah...every advance has a bittersweet side in this arena.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #30
Adriana Mangus

Even though it worked at the moment in only 6 mice, that's the beginning...We have to start somewhere.

Many other meds have worked in mice and are now available to people with many other forms of cancer and yes, these people are still alive, I can count myself amongst them.

Actually 6 mice is better than none... Just like Jean, this is my story and am sticking to it.

The only concern of mine is having the vaccine available to only women over 40 years of age, it does not make sense and it needs to be evaluated as more women are being diagnosed in their 20's.

This is and it has been an epidemic, it took a long time for the government to grant money for bc research and for the pharmaceutical companies to pay attention to the stats, unecessary deaths could have been spared.

My dear aunt Mary used to say: "Better late than never" I guess it's a lot late for some of us, having to live with the disease for life, but at least now more and more money is being spent in bc research, drugs and now a vaccine.

We must remain optimistic.
2003- Recur to rt lung.July 16 ( B-Day!)
Her2+++ Er,Pr, Negative
2003 - Aug04--Navelbine + Herceptin
2004- 2007--
NED - Herceptin, only
2007 Feb-April Xeloda added to hereceptin
2007-May Back on Navelbine+Herceptin
2008-Feb-Mar 15 Ses Rad to Rt. Lung
2008- Oc 17 Add Tykerb to Herceptin
2009- June-- Discont Tykerb
2009 July 7--Current Taxol + Herceptin
2009 Dec--Discontinued treatment due to progression. Looking into cyberknife.
2010-Aug Accepted to TDM1, no SE, except liver count went up.
2010-2011 September got kicked out of the trial, due to a small spot found on lung.
2011- 2012 September thru early 2013 on Herceptin
2013- March Bone density shows small spot on 5th rib.
2013 - April 4th appt with onc. will post after discussing course of treatment.
2013-March-April Cyber knife to brain and radiation to rib. Chest --base line before chemo-CT-Scan stable for lung issue. CA2729 Normal.
2013 April Herceptin- TDMI
2013 Sept Herceptin + Perjeta . CA2729 within normal range. Brain and Pet scans October 31st. will post results.
2013 October Brain MRI- mixed response. Will see Onc/rad on Halloween.
2013 October/November Brain-MRI nothing new. Repeat MRI next year in May.

2013 December Continue Herceptin and Perjeta. Stable at the moment.
2014 February Brain MRI -clear!
2014 January Added Taxotere to Perjeta+Herceptin.
2014 March Stopped chemo-chest ct-scan next.

2014- March Scans shows tumor's larger, CA2729 higher. Discontinue Herceptin.
2014 April Perjeta+ Halaven
2014 April CA2729 went down 60 points after one cycle. Cough does not want to go away.
2014 June Continue on Perjeta + Halaven-- no more cough. Stable
2014 June Back on Herceptin + abraxane
Adriana Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #31
hutchibk

Probably everything we all are benefiting from starts with mouse-model in a lab, true. But the percentage of things that wash out after mouse-model, or within the earliest of human-model trial, is significantly higher than the things that actually translate into successful treatments.

This researcher must have an incredible PR team for his research, at this incredibly premature stage, to have hit the mainstream media and the capture the hearts and minds of the breast cancer culture with such a splash (nothing sexier than proclaiming a cure). It will probably be a great boon for him raising money to proceed.

It never hurts to be positive... but personally I'd be a lot more hopeful at this stage if I were a mouse with breast cancer. Ever the (healthy) skeptic I suppose.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #32
Ellie F

One of the big problems we have at present is that we just don't know what works for which patients!
It seems to be becoming clear that there are many subsets of the disease possibly even within the her 2 component itself.I suspect that's why we have some stage 4 survivors that stay NED with the use of Vit h alone and why others need multiple lines of chemo.
I speculate that this may also be the case with the available current vaccines in that they may be effective for one and not for others.
I guess this follows on from the mystery of why some small early stage tumours become metastatic but conversely why some very large tumours appear to be 'cured'after initial treatment and don't recur.
Until we get to the bottom of these variables I guess it's trial, error and HOPE

Ellie
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #33
pmm10414

I spoke to my doctor about having vaccine. He said that he does see it right now because of the fact I had a complete response to chemo. I wonder though --
CHANGED TO STAGE IIIA AFTER MRI
SURGURY FOR TWO PET SCAN NODES IN CHEST NEGATIVE (DEC08)
AC (4 COMPLETE MAR09)
TAXOL HERCEPTIN (12 TREATMENTS COMPLETE IN JUN09 )
SURGERY IN JUN09 - COMPLETE RESPONSE (BOTH BREASTS NEG AND 9/9 LYMPH NODES NEG) NED
HERCEPTIN RESTARTED IN JUL09 WEEKLY UNTIL JUL10
PET SCAN - NEGATIVE DEC11 AND AUG09
BRAC - NEGATIVE SEP09
28 RADS COMPLETE SEP09
BONE SCAN - NEGATIVE MAR10
PET SCAN - NEGATIVE DEC11
PET SCAN - SARCOIDOSIS OCT11 thought cancer was back thank The Lord it is not they think!!!!!!
pmm10414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #34
Ellie F

Hi Patty
Thats really interesting. i know we are different as I am stage 4 however my onc 's view was that being NED was the best time to have a vaccine as the disease load is low and the triggering of an immune response may wipe out any cells lurking about.#Cheers
Ellie
Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #35
Margerie

I agree with Brenda....... my hubbie was so excited for me (and daughter) and I had to put a kybosh on it

I think they are stating age 40 and over for the vaccine because it will target breast cells in pregnancy/lactation and there would be problems if you were conceiving after taking the vaccine.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #36
CindyE

Such wonderful news and I'm hoping and praying for all you that you can get the vaccine SOON. I hope this is the answer finally and we can kick breast cancer off the face of this Earth.

L/IDC, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Her2+, ER+/PR+ at age 48
4/15/2008 Lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy
Margins neg and Nodes neg (2 tested)
MUGA score 55 on 5/6/2008

Treatment starting 05/08/2008:
Chemo 4 cycles, 3 weeks apart with Taxotere & Cytoxan - Chemo - Done 7/24/2008!
Herceptin for 1 year
Radiation starting in 9/2008
MUGA score 61.9 on 9/04/2008
33 Rads with boost - Done 10/13/2008
MUGA score 58 on 12/01/2008
MUGA score 59 on 3/16/2009
Herceptin for 1 year - Done 4/27/2009
MUGA score 64 on 6/22/2009
All scans - NED 6/24/2009
MRI - NED 11/10/2009
All scans - Still NED 8/25/2011
Still NED 2017!