HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Chelee

More on CT scans we have been hearing about.

I know I'm always worried about too much radiation. Especially since my bc dx. I hate to think about all the CT scans I've had along with who knows how many x-rays on top of all that. This article I posted a link to does mention they are working on developing a low-dose CT scanner. They sure can't do that soon enough for me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34420356/ns/health-cancer/

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
gdpawel

Is there evidence that a CT saves lives?

The Archives of Internal Medicine reported on two studies estimating that the radiation exposure from the 72 million CT scans ordered in 2007 alone will result in 15,000 additional cancer deaths twenty to thirty years down the road.

An editorial in the Archives pointed out that there is an eight-fold difference in CT scan use around the country with no better outcomes where more scans are done.

Is there evidence that a CT saves lives? No. No diagnostic/laboratory test ever has. This is not what it does.

Diagnostic/laboratory tests are judged by accuracy and reproducibility and never by their effect upon treatment outcomes. Most tests used today have comparable "sensitivities" and "specificities."

CT scans were not approved because they saved lives in a controlled clinical trial that compared the outcome of patients who received care with or without the benefit of a CT scan. They were approved because their performance characteristics (sensitivity/specificity) are reproducible, favorable and provide information to treating physicians.

In cancer medicine, no test in oncology has ever been shown in prospective randomized clinical trials to improve patient outcomes. The existing standard has always been the "accuracy" of the test. This is true for every single test used in cancer medicine, from estrogen receptors to panels of immunohistochemical stains (IHC) to diagnosing and classifying tumor to Her2/neu and CA-125 to cell culture assays to MRI's, CT Scans, Pet Scans and so on.

Even when you get to the new genetic/molecular tests, the validation standard that private insurance companies is accepting is "accuracy" and not "efficacy." The essential "proof" is that all they have to do for these tests is that the test has a useful degree of "accuracy," not that the use of the diagnostic test improves clinical outcomes.

A cardiac CT provides anatomic information regarding the presence or absence of blockages in coronary arteries. Such findings alone do not determine whether or not a patient requires an invasive procedure such as an angiogram or angioplasty/stent. Such decisions should be based on physiologic indicators such as presence of angina or, more importantly, an abnormal stress test. A cardiac CT by itself will never be proven to save lives. However, it is yet another tool in the arsenal that must be used properly.

In cancer medicine, the CT is used to follow the size of the patient's tumor while the patient is receiving repeated courses of chemotherapy to determine whether or not the treatment is working and whether or not different drugs should be given, instead. This is an entirely unproven benefit, and were appropriate studies ever to be performed, there wouldn't be any measurable benefit at all, in terms of improving patient response to chemotherapy or patient survival with chemotherapy.

CT Scans and Cancer Risk: Been There, Done That

http://www.cancer.org/aspx/blog/Comments.aspx?id=336

Projected Cancer Risks From Computed Tomographic Scans Performed in the United States in 2007

These detailed estimates highlight several areas of CT scan use that make large contributions to the total cancer risk, including several scan types and age groups with a high frequency of use or scans involving relatively high doses, in which risk-reduction efforts may be warranted.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ll/169/22/2071
Radiation Dose Associated With Common Computed Tomography Examinations and the Associated Lifetime Attributable Risk of Cancer

Radiation doses from commonly performed diagnostic CT examinations are higher and more variable than generally quoted, highlighting the need for greater standardization across institutions.

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...9/22/2078?home
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Sheila

Re: More on CT scans we have been hearing about.

Chelee
Funny reading your post...I had my neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis CT today, and for the first time, they put a shield over my chest.....something new to reduce radiation...now let he scanxiety begin, so I know how the Tykerb/Herceptin is working.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin

Last edited by Sheila; 01-05-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
lizm100

I'm one of those that always worry, am I actually going to cancer from being exposed to much radiation....low dose radiation exposure is definitely music to my years.
lizm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
StephN

This article has something of interest at the END. They mention how the radiation doses for different body areas of CT scans vary, as well definitions which tell how the CT, MRI and X-ray are different.

Sheila, I clearly recall how necessary a CT scan was in monitoring my treatment success. When we have progression, having a visual of tumor shrinkage or enlargement is worth the proverbial "thousand words." Just show me, was all I wanted to know.
Sending thoughts hoping for the best.

At that time I was MUCH more worried about the cancer activity than what the CT may be doing to me.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Chelee

Shelia, Wow, that's a first I've heard of them using a shield for the chest. With so much news on this radiation issue lately maybe they really working on ways to reduce exposure. It's about time.

Sure hope they don't make you wait to long for your scan results. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way for fantastic results. I know Dr. Slamon is all for the Tykerb/Herceptin combo due to all the great results from it. I hope it's worked its magic & all traces of cancer have totally disappeared as it should be.

I have a PET/CT coming up on 1-27-01 to see if this Navelbine is working. So I doubt I will be getting any sheilds...too many places they need to check out on me. Plus it would ruin the PET portion of my scan I would think.

lizm100, I've had the same fear too about radiation causing cancer. To this day I really don't know if my cancer wasn't caused from all the x-rays I had from a child up until my teens for my congenital scoliosis. Even the Komen site says it's possible. I had no cancer in my family...so makes me wonder. I had so many x-rays I can't count them.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote