HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
CristlC

Arm Port vs Chest Port

I am starting chemo this Friday and needless to say I am TERRIFIED. I know everyone must be but I really feel like I am losing it. I can't sleep at all.

Anyway, my question is regarding the port. I have the option of a arm port vs a chest port. Right now I am scheduled to get the arm port on Thurs and they will leave the needle in for my start of chemo on Friday.

My Onc said either was fine but to consider the arm port. I had my bi-lateral mastectomy on 9/16/08 and have expanders in. He said the arm port is less noticable, less scar, etc. But obviously my decision. Any suggestions? Right now I am scheduled for the arm port the day before I start the chemo. My Onc's NP said this was a good way to do it because they will leave a needle in for the first chemo and I don't have to get stuck.
Jeez, so many decisions. Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc
Cristl
Found IDC <1cm (.4cm)

ER+ PR+ HER2+
BRAC1/2-
37 years old
Mom died of BC at 38
CristlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
StephN

Hello - and I am sure you will get varying opinions here. I think most of us have ports in our chest.

Mine is in chest, but I have friends who have had them in their arms. If you are a very thin person, the arm port may be ok or not. Some nurses have trouble using them for the treatments because access can be troublesome. The port is not anchored as well as in the chest and can move around in the tissue as they try to access. (The needle must go in right at the center of the port to get through.)

I have two friends who had them removed from arm as the port pressed on a nerve and caused them too much pain. One even got neuropathy in her hand from that.

There may be some here who have had good experience with arm placement.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
newgg

arm port

Hi There,
Also bilat and had the arm port on the side that no lymph nodes were removed. Did not have any problems with chemo and would do it again. They never left the needle in and it was ready the next day. Just a little tenderness for the first day or so then it was A OK.
As for first time on Friday....we were all full of nerves before the first infusion. But fear not....you are fighting the beasties !!! Folks in the infusion room are very supportive....no question is to silly so get all the info you need from the nurse team to make your stay better. Take something to snack on, some drinks, some hard candy, maybe something to read, blankie, or just enjoy the folks .
Remember that we have all been there and done that. Ask away...any question. Take care...Hugs, Bonnie
newgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Jackie07

I had my port-a-cath on my left chest both times. The surgeon never asked me where I wanted it. So I wondered if this is a new trend, or if it was because of my past medical history - I had left-side weakness from the brain surgery in 1990 and my right-side had lymphnodes taken out.

Since you have the expander, I think you should go ahead take the arm port and see how it goes.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Chelee

I had my port in my left upper arm. It was no problem to access at all and my chemo nurse loved it. Even a blouse with short sleeves no one could see it. I had my port in about 1 yr 4 months I believe and never had any problems at all with it.

I was so against the idea of getting a port at all...I did not want one...but in the end it turned out to be the best thing I could of ever done when going through chemo. It makes things so much easier. The worse part of the whole thing was when it was first installed...my upper arm was a bit sore for about a week. Other then that I would do it again that way.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.

Last edited by Chelee; 11-03-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Corrections.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
CristlC

Thanks all for the responses. I am so full of anxiety and hoping I am making the right decisions. This is so scary.

I am getting an arm port (which they are referring to as a passport) on Thursday.

Everyone take care! Cristl
Found IDC <1cm (.4cm)

ER+ PR+ HER2+
BRAC1/2-
37 years old
Mom died of BC at 38
CristlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
rebecca0623

Cristi - I have a port in left side chest under collar bone and hate it - it rubs against seatbelt when driving and when I lift weights I can feel it - creepy to me. Also when nurses access it, to get good blood return I have to be lying down with my left arm up - maybe I should have thought of arm port. Anyway - I know first chemo is fear-inducing but I found it so much easier than I feared and I have a great set of new bc buddies who are on the same chemo schedule so we look out for each other and compare information (much like this board). I don't sleep in chemo so when all others go to sleep I put on ipod and draw in my notebook - it works for me. Also, my husband gets the weekly PEOPLE magazine for me to veg to during the weekly chemo - does take your mind off the drip and doesn't require much if any thought!!!! You will find what works for you - I find I look forward to checking in with my bc buddies and having the forced quiet time!!! Best wishes for a smooth ride!

Rebecca
HER2 +, invasive ductal carcinoma
Quadrantectomy right on 7/30/08
Path report, all 3 nodes taken were clear!!!!!!
Lymphatic/vascular invasion and sent out BRCA testing
Port in on 9/2/08. Chemo began 9/3/08. TCH (MUGA wrong - echocardiogram says 65% cardiac MRI 59% 9/10/98 elevated liver enzymes, PET scan 9/16/08 all clear.
TC ended 12/17/08
Port blood clot and hosp. 1/2/09
radiation begins 1/8/09

BRCA testing done - results NEGATIVE!

cardiologist said go back to coreg as it helps counteract heart effects of herceptin and slowly increase dosage - now 40mg daily.
rebecca0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Margerie

I also had a passport. I did not want a chest port and made my surgeon put in the arm port LOL!

It was never a problem and NO ONE ever noticed it. The only time I noticed it was when I would reach into something, like my car's trunk, and bump it on something. I got it removed after Herceptin and the removal was very easy.

The passport access is smaller than the chest port (they use it for pediatric patients) but a skilled nurse should have no problem doing it. I am assuming if your onc recommends getting one, that most of his staff is very familiar with this type of port.

Best of luck to you and your upcoming treatment. I remember the fear of the pre-chemo week. The anticipation was much worse than the reality for me. Once you get started, you just deal with it.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
MaryAnn-CA

Hi Cristl, I have the Passport in my arm and have had it for almost a year. My surgeon used a slightly larger port ... not the very small one that is the "standard" Passport. It has worked fine and I'm glad I got it. It does move around a little but the nurses just hold it steady when they insert the needle and there is no problem.

Good luck!,, Mary Ann
MaryAnn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Chelee

Hi Cristl, I hope all went well with your new port? I'm sure it did...it's usually not too bad having it put in. You might have a little soreness for a few days but other then that you will be glad you got it.

I'm sure your anxiety level is up tonight knowing you have your first infusion tomorrow. But once you get this first one out of the way...the next time will be so much easier.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you...I do know how scared you are. I've been there and done that. Like you...I too was terrified. Once I finished my first infusion I could of kicked myself for being so nervous and upset. That day was so non-eventful. No problems and I actually felt great. So if you get to read this tonight...try not to worry too much...it won't be even half as bad as you are expecting. (I know that is so hard to believe.) When you are feeling up to it...let us know how your doing. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
charlotte

I have had the port, first time in my left arm.. the only problem, I had was getting dressed, and it would sometimes get a little hung up..on my shirt. I now have a port in my chest... I have had no problems with it either...... i even forget its there...hope I havent confused you...
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
CindyE

I chose to have an arm port. I weighed all the options and just like the idea of the arm better. I had my port put in the same day I started chemo and they just left the needle in so I could use it for chemo later that same day. I like my arm port and feel it was better for me so I didn't want to have to open my blouse etc to get accessed each time for chemo and my Herceptin. I have had no problems with using my arm with the port in it. Best of luck to you. God bless,
Cindy

L/IDC, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Her2+, ER+/PR+ at age 48
4/15/2008 Lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy
Margins neg and Nodes neg (2 tested)
MUGA score 55 on 5/6/2008

Treatment starting 05/08/2008:
Chemo 4 cycles, 3 weeks apart with Taxotere & Cytoxan - Chemo - Done 7/24/2008!
Herceptin for 1 year
Radiation starting in 9/2008
MUGA score 61.9 on 9/04/2008
33 Rads with boost - Done 10/13/2008
MUGA score 58 on 12/01/2008
MUGA score 59 on 3/16/2009
Herceptin for 1 year - Done 4/27/2009
MUGA score 64 on 6/22/2009
All scans - NED 6/24/2009
MRI - NED 11/10/2009
All scans - Still NED 8/25/2011
Still NED 2017!