HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Rich66

LIFT (leukocyte infusion therapy)

October 08, 2009

Clinical Trials for White blood cell infusions to treat cancer

The Wake Forest Clinical trial for granulocyte infusions to cure cancer was cancelled but a new South Florida clinical trial is proceeding. The clinical trials are to see if simple blood transfusions can transfer cancer immunity from people with strong cancer immunity to those without such strong immunity. This procedure has been shown to cure cancer in mice. A mouse is given a lot of cancer and then is cured of it with blood transfusions from super-immune mice.
Here is the link to the cancelled clinical trial.

South Florida Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant Institute is sponsoring the white blood cell transfusion clinical trial. The phase I and II trial that is running now.

>South Florida Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant Institute page on the granulocyte anti-cancer clinical trial

The South Florida Institute information page for cancer patients cites the Wake Forest work and history of the project.

Link to the institute's home page and tv news clip: http://www.bmscti.org/index.htm

This is the cancer treatment from Zheng Cui, which has been covered extensively at this site.
Update on the GIFT cancer treatment

White blood cells from a strain of cancer-resistant mice cured advanced cancers in ordinary laboratory mice, researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine reported

at the SENS3 conference in Sept 2007, Dr. Cui presented the next logical step in his research: work demonstrating the existence of, and characterizing, high-potency cancer-killing granulocytes in humans. This same cancer killing cells provides mice with immunity to cancer.

A Phase I/II Study For the Use of White Blood Cells From Healthy Donor-Participants To Treat Subjects With Solid Cancers

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00900497
About 75% of US population living today will not die of cancer. It is not uncommon that some people remain cancer-free into their 80s and 90s, even if they are regularly exposed to environmental carcinogens such as air pollutants, cigarette smoking, etc. A frequently asked but unanswered question is why these individuals do not get cancer. There has been a recent report of a colony of cancer-resistant mice developed from a single male mouse that unexpectedly survived challenges of lethal cancer cell injections. In these so-called spontaneous regression/complete resistant (SR/CR) mice, cancer cells are killed by rapid infiltration of leukocytes, mainly of innate immunity. This highly effective natural cancer immunity is inherited and mediated entirely by white blood cells. Moreover, this cancer resistance can be transferred to wild type mice through the transfer of various immune cell types including granulocytes.

This observation raises the possibility that infusion of white blood cells, particularly cells of innate immunity, is a viable anticancer therapy in humans as well.

This proposed trial will test whether white blood cell infusions from healthy unrelated donors can be used to treat cancer. The trial is designed to determine whether responses can be seen in cancer patients after infusion of HLA-mismatched white cells from healthy donors. It is important that the donors and recipients be unrelated and HLA-mismatched to avoid the possibility of transfusion-related Graft vs. Host Disease.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Rich66

Re: LIFT (leukocyte infusion therapy)

An introduction to the concept here:
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/cance...ans-16786.html

Dr. Cui's presentation here:
http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/people/Zheng-Cui/

Beyond the therapy itself, interesting info on seasonal immune system variation (weaker in winter, need limited activity and sleep to compensate)

I found this link by way of a viewer comment that mentioned LIFT:

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hedge...apy-24481.html

" Wouldn't leukocytes from cancer resistant humans (in the summer) likely cure even metastatic colon cancer? Dr. Zheng Cui found that neutrophils and macrophages from cancer resistant people did cure one cancer, when white blood cells from a donor were infused into a patient in a normal therapy for infection that antibiotics had not eliminated. That therapy cured his infection and his cancer as well.
Cui, at Wake Forest Baptist, had been authorized to conduct a clinical trial of his leukocyte infusion therapy (LIFT) but lacked the $3 million cost since no new drug that could provide monopoly profits was involved."

Well..might just be the viewers understanding.

1/3/2010
Doc and clinic sponsoring LIT trial having $$ difficulties with other treatments too: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/de...rs-160047.html

4/26/11
Slow going but still treating patients at Florida clinic as money allows. (1 patient last 12 months) Awaiting grant to increase this.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Rich66

Glad to see this concept is being revisited!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Ellie F

So pleased this is going ahead after all.Shame that enrolment in the trial is by invitation only
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Rich66

I've never seen "invitation only" on a clinical trial. Ready to crash the velvet rope? The good news I think is that the initial trial is already underway. Maybe results will be in the near future and things will broaden. If the complete response rates are even half that of mice, will be revolutionary.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Ellie F

Absolutely! The only time I have seen by invitation only is in respect of vaccine trials where they have offered extra 'top up' doses to people who have already been on an earlier trial.The science seems sound, let's hope for once that we have something in common with mice!
Ellie
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Rich66

I know the mouse issue is a caveat of sorts. But isn't it true that most "successful" therapies were first successful in mice? I'm hoping the 100% cure rate means it is working at a fundamental, non-mouse specific level.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Ellie F

So am I Rich!
I understand that there is no big profits for the drug companies hence it may not warrant investment, however I am at a loss as to why some of the breast cancer (and other) cancer research charities arn't sponsoring this development.
This treatment must be worthy of further research given the potential for a 'cure' and the low toxicity of the treatment.

I am so frustrated!!
Ellie