HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
4angel

side effects question

I am newly diagnosed BC patient. I have had three chemo treatments two with Herceptin, one with perjeta and all three with taxol. Having mostly expected side effects that are manageable with the exception of one swollen toe. It has gone up and down, it's not from a recent injury ( can't think of an injury anyway) Has anyone else had this? It is painful to walk on though I do anyway. I also am getting neoprogen shots twice a week following treatments. Had the onc. look at the toe and they were not too helpful, suggested gout or arthritis, neither of which I've had before and no suggestions as to how to deal with it. Would appreciate any comments, suggestions.
4angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
snolan

Re: side effects question

Both my feet would swell and then it would go away. No pain though. Dr couldn't tell me why. If it is gout you need to read up on diet control as certain foods can aggrivate it. The chemo and herceptin can affect joints a lot of women on this site have complained of joint pain. If it continues see if you can get on some meds that are specific to gout to see if it helps. Its always a drag to have to deal with these problems as if you don't have enough to worry about already. Hope this problem goes away soon.
Suzanne
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
rhondalea

My suggestion is that you see a podiatrist.

When I was started Taxol and Herceptin, I had the swollen toe (the pain of which was exacerbated by a sharp, but very tiny, piece of nail in the outer corner). It drove me crazy and made walking extremely unpleasant. I did not see a podiatrist; instead, I soaked my feet in white vinegar.

Vinegar helped a lot, but I'm seeing a podiatrist now, and if I had it to do over, I'd have seen him sooner. MDs don't get a lot of training with respect to feet (unless they're orthopedists), but the folks with a DPM tacked onto their names can work minor miracles.

I've always had issues with ingrowns, so I'm quite the handy surgeon on my own feet. On the other hand, I don't enjoy it a whole heckuva lot, so when Groupon came up with an offer for a "medical pedicure" just as I was about to finish Herceptin, I thought it worth giving podiatry a whirl. I was very fortunate that the podiatrist is also in-network for my insurance, so I now see him every six weeks, and my feet have never felt better.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
4angel

after researching and Dr. conformation, it is gout caused by mass cell dying that give off uric acid. So the chemo is killing cells. They gave me oral (pill) steroids to help. Didn't want to prescribe the usual drug because of liver issues. So a side effect of the chemo can be gout. Wish they had said this the first time I asked so I wouldn't have been in pain for a week and wouldn't have worried something else was going on.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
karen z

It is good that you asked, found out, and gave the nurses/doctors feedback. I know that some of the side effects I had from chemo that were a bit severe (dry eyes that became much worse- with temporary corneal scarring) did make it into discussions that the chemo folks had with other people. So that is a good thing. Sometimes the medical team don't think of (or know of) everything that can happen- just the most typical.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Vicki revised

I had trigger finger which started several months after starting Herceptin. Crazy name for a stuck thumb.

3/11: DX: IDC, HER2++, ER/PR neg, stage 4, mets to liver. Primary tumor: grade 3; 11 cm. 2nd smaller tumor: ~2.5cm. Multiple affected nodes, 1 spot on liver. 6 rounds TCH prior to bmx.
7/11: Nothing left except Primary breast tumor now 1.5cm.
8/11: BMX, 17/17 nodes clear. No post-op chemo or radiation indicated. NED!
10/11: NED! Continue Herceptin indef.
2/12: Reoccurence of liver mets; both lobes. Tykerb added to Herceptin.
5/12: Progression of liver mets. Stop Tykerb, start Abraxane & Herceptin weekly.
8/12: Progression in liver and lymph nodes around liver and right kidney. Herceptin not working anymore! Stop Abraxane and Herceptin. Start Tykerb and Xeloda.
10/12: Severe side effects. 3 weeks break from everything.
12/12: It's working! All tumors gone except 2 (from 20+) Continue Tykerb and Xeloda. Brain and spine MRIs clear.
Vicki revised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
4angel

Thank you all for your replies, Hoping the swelling goes down( it's a little better today) and the drugs help keep it gone! Having just started this a few weeks ago it can feel overwhelming and I have lots of experience with cancer as a caregiver. It's still different as a patient. Glad to have a place to chat and share info. still learning how to get around this site but grateful for it.