HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Nguyen

Affinitor and rash and extreme itch

Hello,

Anyone has suggestion for handling extreme itch due to Affinitor (Everolimus)?

Many thanks,

Nguyen
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Affinitor and rash and extreme itch

The article/abstract was published in March and did not mention anything about how to treat the rash ... Can you get a referral to a dermatologist?

Cancer. 2012 Mar 21. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27505. [Epub ahead of print]
Clinical and histopathologic characteristics of rash in cancer patients treated with mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors.

Balagula Y, Rosen A, Tan BH, Busam KJ, Pulitzer MP, Motzer RJ, Feldman DR, Konner JA, Reidy-Lagunes D, Myskowski PL, Lacouture ME.
Source

Department of Medicine, Dermatology Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Dermatologic adverse events stemming from anticancer therapies have become an increasingly frequent clinical problem. Inhibitors of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR), such as temsirolimus and everolimus, have been associated with a high rate of skin eruptions, but their clinical and histopathologic characteristics have not been explored.
METHODS:

A retrospective analysis of patients who were referred to the Dermatology Service for diagnosis and management of rash in the setting of therapy with the mTOR inhibitors everolimus and temsirolimus was performed. The parameters that were studied included the time to onset, clinical presentation at the time of dermatologic evaluation, associated symptoms, evolution, results of microbiologic studies, concomitant medications, the need for dose reduction and/or treatment interruption because of rash, and routine histopathology.
RESULTS:

In total, 13 patients were analyzed. Most rashes were mild (grade 1; 31%) and moderate (grade 2; 54%) in severity, and grade 3 rashes were observed only in 2 patients (15%). The trunk was the most frequently affected region (77%), with the scalp (23%), face (38%), neck (54%), and extremities (69%) also commonly involved. Erythematous papules and pustules constituted the predominant primary lesion morphology (62%). No unique or uniform histopathologic reaction pattern was observed. The most common reaction pattern was that of a mixed, spongiotic interface and perivascular dermatitis, which was observed in 7 of 11 patients (63%).
CONCLUSIONS:

Although mTOR inhibitors may commonly induce erythematous papules and pustules, they are associated with a spectrum of lesion morphologies and a variety of histopathologic findings. Further clinicohistologic correlation studies are needed. Cancer 2012. © 2012 American Cancer Society.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Joanne S

Question Re: Affinitor and rash and extreme itch

ALL, If anyone else know anything about Affinitor, please advise. Thanks!

Hello Nguyen,

How is your itchy rash??? Hope you've gotten some good relief? It is diminished or gone?

I just started Exemestane 3 days ago. I will be starting Affinitor tomorrow and I'm anxious about it.
Can you tell me what I might expect?
Were you able to drive a car when your first started taking it?

I certainly hope this message finds you feeling well and wish you continued improvement. Thanks Jo
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Last edited by Joanne S; 09-27-2012 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Nguyen

Hello Joanne,

My wife had no problem driving while she took Exemestane and Affinitor. We tried everything and she only got a bit of relief from the itch. The main problem however were the numerous mouthsores. Finally after 1.5 monnths she couldn't tolerate the mouthsores anymore so she stopped using the Affinitor. Keep in mind that everyone is different so maybe these side effects won't be so bad for you. In fact I read most (if not all) the articles about Affinitor and it seems to be a well tolerated medicine for most people. I hope that you will be in this category.

Best wishes,

Nguyen
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Joanne S

Thank you very much for your reply Nguyen!
My doctor also gave me some MuGard Mouth Rinse to start using several times every day. Did you wife also use this?

Best wishes to both you and your wife. Praying for her continued improvement.
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).

Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Nguyen

She tried many different mouthwash including magic mouthwash and other anesthetic, though not MuGard. I hope this work for you.

Nguyen
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Mandamoo

I had issues with mouth sores too - I ended up with a dose reduction - what dose are you going to take?
Prevention is the best if you can - warm salty washes frequently, good mouth hygiene, no super hot drinks.
I found I used traditional Chinese medicine to help too - boosting my immune system, reducing the severity of the sores markedly. Also a Chinese powder from watermelon was amazing on the actual sores.
When they were bad, I found orabase gel very good.
I never got a rash and found it very tolerable once I had the dose reduction.
Good luck.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Joanne S

Thanks to both of you for your replies!!!

NuGard (Rx) was prescribed by my oncologist at the same time Affinitor and Exemestane were prescribed. I was instructed: Use a soft toothbrush with warm water for brushing. Do not use any mouthwashes that contains Alcohol. Do not use any toothpaste that contains whitening or tartar control. Warm salt-water mouth rinsing may also be helpful. Use NuGard 5-6 times daily. Keep in mouth 1-2 minutes and do not rinse. No food or drink for one hour after each use. Avoid hot (temperature) foods, grapefruit and spicy hot foods and take small bites. Do not use dental floss unless it is part of your regular routine.

Affinitor is 10mg. I make sure I take the Affinitor with 16 ounces of water. I was wondering , How soon after starting Affinitor did you start having mouth sores?

I've been taking Affinitor for a week now. Fortunately no mouth sores so far. And no itching so far. I have severe dry mouth and chapped lips and my gums feel very sensitive and tender. I have experienced some pea-size tender pimple/cyst-like breakout on my scalp. Although I drink lots of water, my skin from head to toe is severely dehydrated and looks old, dry, wrinkled chicken like skin. It looks like my skin has aged 15 years in one week. I have had a headache for 3 days, which finally diminished yesterday. Not sure if it's related to the Affinitor-Exemestane combo or not? Though no constant, I've experienced some new minor bone pain in my head, arms, legs and hips. Of course, I continue to have same the back pain problems I had for several years.

Thank you my HER-2 friends. May God Bless You with continued improvment and wellness. Please let me know how you are doing? Hugs, Joanne
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25