HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
carolynaltiere

curly hair

I have been on several different chemos for 2 years. I had a lot of hair so I never lost it all, when I stoped my drugs for a month my hair became thicker and verry verry curly, I was so excited to have such easy hair to deal with. It only lasted about 2 months for me now my hair is just wavy like it used to be. Everyone is different hope you keep your happy curles. carolyn A
carolynaltiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #22
Malena

Look at my hair here in the pic! No curly , but really without a form! They are like wool! I had long long hair before! But I like also my new look, I look more "lady"!
Malena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #23
Chelee

I see many ended up with curly hair after chemo. I was totally shocked when my hair came back curly. I have *always* had very thin fine hair. Super straight and blonde. Now its hilarious to me. Its on the thicker side and very curly & wavy. This is the first time in my life its like a wash and wear type of hair. It seems to do its own thing. lol I'm just not use to it. In fact I still use my wig most the time. I am so use to long, straight blonde hair. But the wig is so HOT to wear its time to see let a hair dresser cut & style it for me...clean it up a bit. It is kind of fun to have something totally different after all these years. I never thought I would see the day I had any wave or curl in my hair...just unreal. Its just now long enough to cover my ears.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
rinaina

just went for my second haircut and color yesterday and had a better outcome color wise this time. still not as blonde as it use to be but it is getting there. was able to get a few highlights in the areas that were a bit longer...yeah! my curls are so tight. i can't do anything as far as styling other then a little styling gel and then just let it be. never looks the same twice. my stylist blew it dry straight but it was more work than what it is worth. actually like the way it looks curly better, but I still look forward to when my hair returns to how it use to be....at least I hope it will return to that. I too still use the wig for special occasions but I agree, they are too hot and now I have to wear a cap to contain my hair before I put the wig on so it isn't as comfortable and that adds to the heat retention as well. I still maintain that the hair thing was one of the most difficult parts of all of this for me next to how sick I was from chemo. To better hair days ahead for all!!!!!!!!!!!!
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #25
Bev

Went from Halle Barry to Don King this past year. Started out with long, fine straight hair before BC. The curls are very cute, just don't know what to do with them. I get compliments on the curls. I never received compliments on my straight hair.

My curls don't look like they are going to give up any time soon, unless they colapse from their own weight. My hair isn't getting longer it's just getting bigger.

I'm debating between keeping it cut short or letting it grow long and wild. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #26
rinaina

I can so relate with everything you wrote. I refer to myself in the morning as Don King! My curls too are so tight and can't tell if my hair is growing, it just gets fuller with curls.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #27
janet/FL

The darn thing about these curls is just when they start growing out and you start to like them and see how easy it is to take care of--they--and all the body and some of the thick hair--just dissapear! At least that is happening to me right now! Give me back the body and the curls! It was just--wash and brush out--I loved it! But this only seems to last a few months. Did anyone have it last longer?
Janet/FL
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #28
betlen5

Janet, mine lasted about the same amount of time....DARN IT!! I loved curley hair. However, I started letting my hair grow longer instead of keeping it short in fear that I might loose it again. (It's only hair) It is know getting the body, waves and some curls back in it...Weird huh....

There may still be hope for those of us who liked the body the curles gave us..

Take care Janet..AND EVERYONE ELSE HERE((((((HUGS))))))
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #29
rinaina

Mine is still curly after 2-2 1/2 inches of growth and it has gotten even curlier as it has grown. Curls are soooo tight that I can't imagine how it will go back to the slightly wavy hair I once had. It is, however, very easy to take care of as you stated.
AC 4 dense doses
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #30
Val Pfeiffer

Because of the gray, perhaps?

My hair also was much more gray when it grew back (I finished chemo in June 2005). It is still much curlier than before, however the little bit of gray hair I had prior to chemo was more course and curly than my other hair, so I attribute my still-curly hair to the fact that my hair has a much higher concentration of the courser, curlier gray hair. And I don't color, but I lighten to what was my natural color. People tell me that they would love to have my hair (they wouldn't want to pay the same price though :-)

I had body before, but I love my hair even more now -- except for keeping up with roots! And one of these days I will post a new picture--my hiar is now almost to my shoulders--none of you would recognize me!

Val
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #31
rinaina

Wow, it took this long to get to your shoulders? Does herceptin slow down the growth of hair at all? I didn't realize just how slowly your hair grows from when it starts to come back to when it finally is about shoulder length. So your hair is still curly?
AC 4 dense doses
Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #32
Val Pfeiffer

I had haircuts along the way, so no, I don't think my hair grows more slowly than before--it grows at a rate of about 1/2" to 3/4" per month. I change my hairstyles frequently :-)
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #33
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile I have lost my hair three times...

and each time has been different. The first time it came back curly and thick. My hair was normally baby fine and wavy. It was that way for three years and then I lost it again to recurrence -

The second time it came back thin and straight.

This last time while on the Tykerb/Xeloda trial it is coming back about 2 inches now with some curl again but the texture is like down fuzz. If you have every seen a baby chick before its full feathers come out- they have like fuzzy down, that is how mine feels.

I cant wait until it grows out, but what I really miss the most is my shoes. My feet are pretty dried and cracked from this treatment and I can't wear my heals, which I miss my cute shoes. Oh well, I can LIVE with that.

Now to get the hair back in shape.

Take care everyone...... it's fun just comparing our stories. Makes me feel better.
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #34
Steph

Mine too was very curly when it came back. Stayed curly for about 1 1/2 years but after a few cuts it just went away and is now straight. It is darker than it was before. I loved it when it was curly... have fun with it and if it changes again have fun with that too.Steph
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #35
betlen5

Irene, I am on the Xeloda/Tykerb and I have finished my first round (14 days) of Xeloda. When did you start loosing your hair with these drugs?

Betty
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote