HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
bejuce

Dense breast tissue bill passed in CA

Hi HER-2ers,

The CA Senate just passed a bill (see here) to require radiology reports to inform the women of their breast density.

I think this is a great step for all women and I applaud this decision. However, there is still a lot of opposition to this bill and I'm wondering why - haven't we seen numerous studies and research articles that showed a strong correlation between high breast density and breast cancer risk? Why aren't more people supportive of this decision?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Marcia

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Laurel

Re: Dense breast tissue bill passed in CA

A very good question, Marcia, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Why indeed is there not more education regarding dense breasts? I ask women all the time to inquire whether they have dense breast tissue or not and if so to request additional views with magnification. When I was diagnosed they told me they had been "watching" some "calcs" in my very dense breast for years. They had noted changes and I immediately opted for a biopsy. Later when I got to Hershey Med they did magnified views and I recall a veritable labyrinth of ducts resembling branching streams and rivers that were full of ductal carcinoma. Shocking. All of that had been missed for presumably years with the standard mammo views. If only I had known to press for the magnified views. For that matter, if only I had known they were "watching" some calcifications for years. I could have requested a second opinion. I fully believe Hershey would have been much more aggressive and I may have been spared the infiltration.

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
norkdo

you have to see this video. this woman doctor and a physicist actually invented a breast cancer detection tool better than a mammograph. It is a must see video!

http://www.ted.com/talks/deborah_rhodes.html

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
chicagoetc

This may be way off topic...but my experience of redoing and redoing imaging (due to density) left me dreading mammograms. They never got it close enough and by the time they got close, I was in so much pain (mostly from the technicians telling me to push myself closer which resulted in my ribcage pressed tightly into the contraption, whatever it is called) that I couldn't hold myself still to save my life. All of which to say it didn't help much. Though it was a mammogram (not one repeatedly redone and remagnified) that led to further testing (ultrasound) and subsequent diagnosis. Would they have found it earlier? I don't know.

I'm guessing some of you would have responded differently.

Melanie

PS: I just saw norkdo's post. Will need to view later.
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Pray

Nora, Great video! My cancer didn't show up on mamms or digital mamms (very dense) I had 4 tumors before I was finally dx! I saw the films along with the drs we were all shocked they just were not there! I am going to try and find out if in anyone does mbi in Michigan! Thank you!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
caya

Why don't they just go straight to breast MRIs for women who have dense breasts? - after the initial mammogram, women with breasts over 50% density should have breast MRIs for all future imaging. Bypass the mammogram and ultrasounds - they did nothing for me. In July 2006 I had a "clean" mammogram and ultrasound - went in for a breast reduction in October 2006 - my plastic surgeon found my 1.7 cm. IDC tumour.
Yes, I know there can be false positives on breast MRIs, but I'd rather that than a false negative with other useless imaging.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
norkdo

the price of mri machines is prohibitive. i see u r a canadian too!
there are way more mri machines in the states per capita than here.
here they are reserved for hockey players and baseball players
with injuries!

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
radiant

Thanks Marcia for posting this. I actually called the senator behind this bill to see if I could help, since I am now stage IV due to dense tissue. I did not hear back from him - but, this senator was not in my district. Anyways - FINALLY this happened.

- Kim
2008 - on Arimidex/Herceptin - stable lymph node.
2009 - stable on Arimidex/Herceptin
2010 - lymph node progression and liver mets.
2010 - went on Gemzar, Navelbine, Herceptin - Navelbine and Herceptin took liver mets down. lymph node slightly progressed.
2010 - did Xeloda & Tykerb - MAJOR progression in liver in only 6 weeks.
Dec 2010 - present - Ixempra/Avastin/Herceptin/Fasoldex - regressing
June 2012 - chemo break
Sept 19, 2012 - start t-dm1. Chose this over going back on Ixempra.
radiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
PinkGirl

Thanks for the link to the video Nork ... very
interesting.

I go to Thunder Bay Regional and they do MRI's
24/7. I've had 3 of them and the last one was
at 3 am. They also have a new Breast Cancer Centre
and lots of women are having MRI's.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
caya

Nork -

I get my annual Breast MRI at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto. My onc. orders it. From what I understand, in the States, many women have to get this test approved by their insurance companies, here in Canada, the dr. can order it. Unless it is an emergency, the MRI will not usually be done immediately, but it will definitely be scheduled in a timely manner.
As Pink stated, many Ontario hospitals are doing them 24/7, and that's okay with me. It's covered by our universal health care system.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
15 Years NED!!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
norkdo

thot u asked Why don't they just go straight to breast MRIs for women who have dense breasts?

that is all i was referring to. takes too much money up using mri's instead of mammography

Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
caya

Yes nordko, mris do cost more money than mammograms. But they will save lives - that's why dense breasted women have to push for breast mris, whether with our doctors and/or insurance companies. I was lucky that my tumour was found by my PS, but in fact, a subsequent breast mri before my mastectomy found another 1.0 cm. tumour in the same breast.

What I am saying is once a women has the initial mammogram and high breast density is noted, subsequent testing should be mris, in my opinion. Money would be saved not doing mammos and/or ultrasounds, basically useless imaging on dense breasts. There have been many studies showing that dense breasted women are 4-6x more likely to have BC - and that mammograms on dense breasts often miss the tumours. Women must be vigilant and demand to know the % of their breast density so they can be better informed and discuss with their drs. what action/further imaging to take. Some states in the US are passing legislation to require physicians to inform women of their breast density, a condition that masks cancerous tumours in mammograms, as noted in bill SB 791 that was recently approved by both chambers of the California legislature.

My point basically is - we have to push for more funding to get mris for all who need it, regardless of finances.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
15 Years NED!!