HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Ginagce

Health Insurance Problems

I just learned something that I was not aware of and perhaps can be of help.

Due to my work situation I was just advised that I am being dropped by my health insurance provider. I no longer qualify under their small group plan and they will not accept me as an individual subscriber as I am currently being treated for cancer (herceptin & arimidex).

Pennsylvania, and this is important to note, as does many states, has a program called the Breast & Cervical Prevention & Treatment Program. Basically, it provides free health care coverage for women who are uninsurable.

Although there are income requirements, there is no limit on assets one can have to be eligible. And the income limits are higher than the federal poverty guidelines which usually shuts people out of any help with their cancer expenses.

So for women like me who have over the last 10 years, exhausted their resources, and are unable to work right now, there is coverage. I was at a point where I thought I had no options other than to deplete my 401k's and then possibly sell my home to continue to fund the $4,500 herceptin treatments I receive every 3 weeks.

In Philadelphia, this coverage is accepted at 2 of the 3 NCI cancer centers, including, Fox Chase Cancer Center. And it covers all of your medical needs, not just the cancer.

The third says it's too much paperwork and they do not accept it.

Unfortunately, it is my hospital that does not accept it. When I asked my hospital "patient services coordinator" why she didn't tell me about it, knowing that over the last 10 years, both my husband's cancer treatment and my own had nearly brought me to my knees financially, she replied that she "didn't think I wanted to switch hospitals". Appalling.

So now I'm on a mission to make sure that every women in need knows about this so, please, help me spread the word.

This may be old news to you all but to me this information was a gift from heaven.

You can find the information for your state by googling "breast and cervical cancer prevention and treatment program.

Hope this helps someone else.

Ginagce
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Lani

Thanks for the post

I have heard that California has a similar program.

Lani
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote