HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
RhondaH

Smile Like they say...things happen for a reason

I know everyone believes in their own personal "higher power" and mine happens to be our heavenly father and while many times we don't understand why things happen to us, in the end the reason is revealed. My story...

As you all know, tomorrow will be what will HOPEFULLY be my last treatment of Herceptin and in the A.M. ( I NEED to be in bed, but oh well, this is more important I am speaking at the G.R. Making Strides Against Breast Cancer kickoff breakfast. I had what I THOUGHT was scheduled my first haircut since losing my hair, eyebrow wax and haircolor, but when I got there, the girl said that I wasn't scheduled and there was no way they could fit me in (it was 6:30). So bummed, wanting to look BEAUTIFUL for "the day" I decided to go to their "sister salon" and see if they could help. When I got there, there was a gentleman getting his hair cut and the receptionist asked the stylist if she could help me out and she said yes. While waiting, the stylist was talking to the man, saying that she was having a pain in her breast and was scheduled for a mammo 8/19. The guy seemed VERY knowledgeable about this and was telling her that more people will get cancer as people are living longer, 1 in 4 will get cancer, early detection is key... The receptionist told me she would do my eyebrow wax and while she was working she said that I seemed frantic to get this done tonight and was there a special occasion? I told her yes and she asked me what, so I told her. She suggested I ALSO have my eyebrows colored to match my hair (not sure that I like it...have a little Groucho Marx look going on When I went up and was waiting for the stylist to do my hair, the other girl and I were talking and I showed her my BALD work ID and the stylist happened to hear us talking and see the picture. So after the guy left, SHE started asking questions. Said the guy who just left is a cancer researcher at the VanAndel Institute and was telling her of all the cancer research there is and the new treatments that are coming out. So I told her of mine. Both girls listened intently (especially the one with breast pain and having the mammogram, she is the 42 yo single mother of a 2 yo and was VERY WORRIED) The other girl told her NOT to worry (rather coldly) and I told the concerned one, not to worry, that she will do fine. I told her that the unknown is probably the SCARIEST part and once you know what you are dealing with, then you react accordingly. I told her I would say a prayer for her...NOW I know why I didn't have an appointment at the other salon Goodnight.

Rhonda

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
chrisy

WOW!
what a day...
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
lexigirl

Wow, I got chills reading your story. God does work in our lives every day. You were just where you were supposed to be!

Best wishes tomorrow on your speech. I know you will be great!!

HUgs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote