HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Lolly

My visit on the 14th went very well, and was only about 2 and 1/2 hours. I'm scheduled for the 18th of March for my third visit, and it will be longer as there will be another big blood draw.
I had an interesting conversation with Dr. Disis about their views regarding supplements, vitamins, immune boosters, etc. She said they don't discourage any of of that, they just want to know what we're taking and how much. It all goes in our file, and if there's a positive correlation between what we take and how strong our immune response is, they will be able to document it for future reference and possibly even make recommendations to other patients! As she put it, "...If you have a particularly strong immune response to the vaccine, we're going to want to put everybody on the Lolly Coctail!"
I thought that was pretty cool...

Love, Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Mickey

I am not A2 so unable to participate. Do you know if this vaccine would only work for A2 or is it just a way to track the progress. I am wondering if the vaccine makes it out of trial if the rest of us would be able to get it.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
*_Kim in DC_*

Mickey,

The vaccine in PA takes partients who are A2 and A3. Please find the qualifications below:

Please find general information regarding the E75 Peptide breast cancer vaccine trials that Walter Reed Army Medical Center has been conducting. We have been approved to offer the vaccine to civilians who meet necessary screening criteria. You may qualify to be screened for the Node Positive trial. This is a Phase Ib trial, which means that dose scheduling and adverse effects are being closely monitored. To date, the vaccine has been well tolerated, and early findings were reported at the American College of Surgeons in October 2003. Please feel free to discuss this with your oncologist or surgeon. For initial screening, the following medical records and/or candidate status verification will be required:

• copy of tumor pathology report, including lymph node results
• tumor must express Her2Neu protein (status in pathology report)
• surgical report
• clinic records that verify that you are currently without evidence of disease
• any scan or x-ray reports done after your surgery to verify no evidence of disease
• records verifying completed chemotherapy and/or radiation treatment
• complete blood count and comprehensive metabolic panel within last six months
• urine pregnancy test, if applicable
• no prior treatment with Herceptin (this exclusion will be dropped for those enrolling after December 2004)
• no participation in other breast cancer trials
• no autoimmune disorders

In order to determine if you have a necessary blood antigen type that will allow your body to “recognize” the E75 peptide, it will be necessary to have a blood draw for HLA-A2 or A3. If you do not have either of these blood proteins, you will be assigned to the observation group and will not be eligible to receive the vaccine. That test is drawn here and sent to Walter Reed. Results are usually available the next day. Any tests or supplies directly related to the vaccine program are at no cost to the participants if done here at the Joyce Murtha Center. However, if you wish to have this test done in your locale, this can be done, but it would be at your own expense.

I look forward to speaking with you after you review this information and gather the results. If you wish, you can have the above medical information faxed to my attention at (814) 467-0725.

Warm regards,

Maureen Pavlik, RN, BS, CCM
Vaccine Case Manager
Joyce Murtha Breast Care Center
600 Somerset Avenue
Windber PA 15963
866-253-4703

If you army benefits, the trial takes place in DC. I am not A2 but I am A3
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Mickey

Thanks, Kim. I am A29 and A31 so do not qualify there either. I want to know if the vaccine will only work for A2 and A3 or if that is just a way to find out if the immune system is improving
Old 02-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
*_anne_*

Hi Lolly,

I was wondering how you were doing so I am glad to see your news. Do you feel any different? Have you been sick or any side effects so far? I spoke to Maureen a couple of months ago and she is v. sweet person, so I know you are getting good care there. I hope and pray all goes well for you and keep us posted. XOXO Anne
Old 02-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
*_Kim in DC_*

I was told that the PA vaccine will only work for A2 and A3
Old 02-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Kim from CT

Oh Lolly, I am scheduling my March visit with Patty tomorrow...I will see if I can get in on the 18th as well; altho, something tells me my oldest is home from college that day...will keep you posted....
Love Kim (from CT)
Old 02-24-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Lolly

Kim(s), Anne, and Mickey; Kim in DC, thanks for the info on how the vaccine works with the A factor. I didn't realize it was actually key to the immune system being able to recognize the vaccine...Anne, I really feel about the same, which is to say good. For this second vaccine,I have only had a few side effects: somewhat achey joints, feeling slightly tired for a few days after, etc....Kim from CT, that would be great fun to see you up there! Keep me posted...

Love, Lolly
Old 02-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Rozebud

Mickey - My understanding was that the Seattle trial will take you either way? Maybe I misunderstand. I was told they don't even test for HLA.
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
Mickey

I wish it were the case that I could go to Seattle without the HLA test. I was told to get the test and am not eligible because I am not HLA A-2. Sad for me.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #11
Lolly

Rozebud and Mickey, there are two vaccine trials ongoing at UW/Seattle; the Herceptin/Vaccine trial which I'm enrolled in (must be Stage 4 on Herceptin and HLA-A2+), and the Vaccine Clinical Trial which accepts Stage III or IV, no concurrent Herceptin, and as far as I know you don't have to be HLA-A2+. Here's the link to the trial description, and to clear up the HLA-A2 question call the Study Nurse, Patty Fintak. Her contact information is included in the trial outline. Good Luck!

Her2 Vaccine Clinical Trial
http://www.medical.washington.edu/studies/...study=019773D03

Love, Lolly