HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
SoCalGal

I just want to be normal

I am addicted to this site. The information is both comforting and overwhelming. You really have to be SMART to survive cancer.

I don't want to think this hard. I don't want to eat a special diet, take special pills and worry about how my cells are working. I don't want to read about coconut and wonder if I ate too much, not enough or if it really matters at all. I am almost 50 years old. I just want to be a normal girl again. I want to wake up tomorrow and not have to worry.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
nancy dip

I So Agree

I so agree with you!!!
I think the mental aspects of this disease are totally underestimated or perhaps just not spoken about.

I have been trying to learn about eating better and now I just eat food groups--not meals. Is this how I want to live??

Obviously I want to live, but much of the joy has gone and I cannot shake off the fear of recurrence. It taints everything. I hope that when I finish chemo things might get better.

Kindest regards Nancy
nancy dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
Mary Jo

Dear Flori,

I so understand what you are saying and I agree wholeheartily. The longer I am out from diagnosis though, I do find that my attitude is becoming more and more as what you wish for. Of course, I will never be the "old" Mary Jo. That changed almost 2 years ago when I heard the words "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have breast cancer." BUT, I'm coming to realize that ultimately what will be will be. I've talked with so many people and sadly, there really is no rhyme or reason to this disease.

Please don't misunderstand me though. I do realize the importance of eating right and exercise. Those are key for all areas of good health and life in general. But for me personally, I'm coming into the thinking that this is my life. I will take care of myself the best I can but I realize even that doesn't guarantee a "perfect" life in any sense of the word. I TRY not to put too much thinking into EVERYTHING that comes my way but TRY (and succeed most days) to enjoy each day for what it is. I realize today is all I have and to make the most of it.

Here's to your "new normal." May it become the "normal" that brings you peace.

From your "sister" who understands,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Esther

Flori, I hear, I've been there many a time. There are times when I am super motivated to do all the right things for myself, and then there are times when I just don't want to think about it and forget the supplements, and alot of other things.

I think we just do the best we can. It's really hard to do all the right things all the time. Cut yourself some slack and allow yourself a break from things at times, then go back to it when you feel up to it and are motivated.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
fauxgypsy

Flori, I know just how you feel. I do get tired of wondering if I eat this, will it cause that? I am afraid to gain weight and afraid to lose it. Do I take B6 for the neuropathy or will it make the cancer thrive? How much olive oil should I eat? After the recent news about the interactions of plastic with food to produce dioxins I have added that to my worry list. I look at all the supplements that are recommended and wonder if I would have room left for food. Sometimes it seems that the more I read the less I know. I have always tried to eat healthy but sometimes I just want to eat. To not think about the consequences with every bite. And yes, to feel normal. I feel as if my life is on hold. I am 51. I am taking some supplements, probably not enough. I think the Episcopalians got it right when they said "everything in moderation." I hope so, anyway.

Leslie
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
SoCalGal

Trying NOT to be the girl with (whispered) cancer...

Hi Leslie,
Thanks for saying how you feel. I was reading the posts on the main board - the conversations about starving cancer cells, glucose and fasting...the people posting are so bright and impressively educated on cancer at the dna/cellular level. It overwhelms my brain. I am not educated in biology - anything past the very basics and I don't really want to be. It didn't appeal to me when I was young and it sure is not something I aspire to learn, yet in many ways I am forced to be up to speed as are we all. Are all survivors proactive and dilligent in their own medical care and decision making process? It sure seems it to me. Nothing laid back about this crowd - and nothing fly by night. Everything well thought out, researched, questioned. It's a full time job to manage your own disease. Again, a job we'd all like to quit. I feel lucky to have found this online community. Many days it's the only thing that keeps me anchored. If you all can do "it" then so can I!

Yesterday, two different people in two different phone calls asked me how I'm doing and when will I be done with my chemo treatment. I was somewhat speechless as I again explained that I will never be done with my chemo. STAGE 4 - I don't know why people don't understand my blunt explanations. Maybe everyone is just used to me having cancer occurances here and there and still surviving. After all, it's been 11 years, which to me just makes me feel that the end is nearer than I'd like. I can imagine people thinking, well, she got 11 years that most don't get.

It's so isolating - "chemo until progression". Trying to live "normally" on a day to day basis - to make plans for the future, to hear others speak of their day to day lives that seem so easy by comparison. Trying to feel normal and trying to be like everyone else who gets to pretend they will live forever. What a luxury that I did not cherish

PS I meant to say - I LOVE YOUR ART. I am an artist, too. Watercolors & india ink. Am just trying acrylics for the first time - it's HARD but kind of fun, too. For me it's all about the process and not at all about the product.
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
9/09 MARKERS normal!
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.

Last edited by SoCalGal; 06-25-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: added ps
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
chrisy

Oh Flori, I can so relate!

Most days I have moments when I wish it would all go away! One of my "balanced goals" in my business networking group was to keep current on research and treatments without obsessing. Pretty funny, huh! I am grateful for this board because there are so many knowledgable and diligent researchers here (Tom used to call them propellerheads!) that I feel like I can just dip into the well of knowledge. And only obsess a little.

Funny, but taking the Tykerb makes it harder for me to detach from the Stage IV reality. First thing every morning, I open up that bottle and take those 6 bright orange pills and think, "poo". Maybe I'm just anticipating...
But then most days I somehow just go on doing my life. Yes, in retrospect is was a luxury to not think about your mortality every day! Now the luxury is to enjoy and appreciate, really savor every moment of it. Most "normal" people also don't realize how special each minute is. Not that I wouldn't love to just take things for granted again!

Answering the "when will you be done with chemo" question depends for me on who is asking and what they want/need to know. You're right, they just don't get it. I usually say "until it stops working", or sometimes "another 47 years".

Hey, who needs normal, anyhow...
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
SoCalGal

Thanks Chrisy

Good answer on the 47 years...one question, why are you taking so many tykerb pills? I thought the clinical trial was 5 a day. Just curious - my doc cut me down to 4 a day, which is making me nervous but the 5 a day were making me too sick. Are you handling 6 a day?

I like your photo

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 06-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
chrisy

Flori, the clinical trial I am on (Avastin/Tykerb) is 6 Tykerb a day, possibly to get an extra boost as there is no chemo in this regimen. I'm handling it fine, have very few side effects except a very occasional diva thing, which is easily managed with immodium. I think maybe this combo is more easily tolerated then the Xeloda which, after all, IS chemo. Also, one of the possible side effects of Avastin is constipation - so maybe it averages out with the Tykerb to create "NORMAL" digestive processes!

Oh, there goes yet another "normal" we can't take for granted any more!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Thumbs up Addicted To Y'all...

I too am addicted to this site. What remarkable women! The new normal is so as all you describe. Omega 3s good, 6s bad, eat fish not meat, take your supplements (2 doz in AM, after empty stomach 8 + 2 doz PM +++). + Vit H ev 3 wks, which is great since 4 yrs of ev wk was wearing. I made my mammog appt for June '08, counting out ev 3 wks carefully to get it right. Thursdays are good for Paul and he is my companion on all chemos/monoclonal antibody treatments, every test, mammog, scan, sono, etc. Love that man. Makes me feel less "alone" w/the (whispered, horrifying ca...).

When people ask, You're STILL on chemo??! How long do you have to stay on it? I answer, smiling, after a pause to get their full attention and draw them into my serenity -- FOREVER... Still smiling. They respond, For ever... They turn their heads away and stare blankly at nothing, pondering the enormity. Then they look back at me. You're amazing! I laugh (knowing all my weak moments of fear, doubt, uncertainty). No really you are. Look at you. You've always got a smile on your face. And this is true. I monitor my thoughts. I weed out the funky ones, esperience them, vent them, type them out or write them down if need be and then release them. I consciously choose not to allow negativity to rent space in my brain. I choose not to remain a victim. I choose to see myself as a remarkable exclamation point with a smiley face and peace in my heart. I have finally learned to release all my yesterdays, all my anger, blame, fury, resentment, unforgivingness. I have let it all go. It is useless and not productive. I LIVE IN THE NOW, as Eckhardt Tolle so brilliantly suggests in his book The Power of Now. I look tomorrow with belief that it will be good. I take nothing for granted. I am grateful with each day for the gift of the day. I say THANK YOU to the Universe. I have a little pewter figure on bended knee, hands outstretched, palms down, forehead to the floor. That is how appreciative and aware I am of the joy of living. I also have a pewter thumbs up hand beside it, to remind me that I am doing a good job. I AM DOING THE BEST I CAN WITH EACH DAY, AND I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT EACH DAY MY BEST MAY CHANGE. And that's okay.

None of us signed up for this gig. Who wants to get the cancer? Oh me, me... I didn't raise my hand and volunteer. But I can honestly say tht I've gained so much, come to know some truly incredible people, present company included to be sure, grown and evolved to be so much more than I ever was, and that was pretty good. I feel a sense of Self that I never had before. I am a Soul. I have a body and a mind. And I know my mind can direct and guide my body to respond in accordance w/its' wishes. I am aware of all bodily changes and question it all, trying not to be paranoid but vigilant. I regularly meditate, knowing that nourishes my Spirit, which in turn keeps me strong and brave, determined and full of faith. That's faith in my own EMPOWERMENT! We each have been given such powers as our birthright. It is up to humankind to evolve to the point that we become aware of our innate and unused abilities and employ them for our full benefit, as it was always intended for us to do. I rejoice over this Awakening. I share it with every one I meet!

I pogram my thoughts intentionally with pure loving positivity. I use guided imagery to further feed my "being" with emotions that are blissful, harmonious, humbly grateful and full of awe at the beauty that surrounds us.

I pray for this new normal to bless your lives, my sweet Soul Sisters. Cancer has never read a book. It follows no true rules it seems. But we can write our own book on our own cancer and become pleasantly surprising miracles in our own right. I believe that with all my heart. I have a 10 pound rock that has the words BELIEVE etched into it. I used to keep it on my center island in my kitchen (one of the busiest rooms of my house) -- in my face, reminding me to BELIEVE. I now have it by my front door as you enter. I am asking each of you to push your snarly thoughts over a cliff and BELIEVE. Please don't go in to the how many more years do I have left. I had such a moment, making my June '08 mammog appt. How dare I dream? What audacity to plan so far in advance! Then, I said, I'm putting it on my calendar, knowing that if it is on my calendar, I will be there no matter what. Just keep shoving those ugly moments away and savor The Now, which happiness dwells... LOVE Y'ALL always, ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Thumbs up Addicted To Y'all...

I too am addicted to this site. What remarkable women! The new normal is so as all you describe. Omega 3s good, 6s bad, eat fish not meat, take your supplements (2 doz in AM, after empty stomach 8 + 2 doz PM +++). + Vit H ev 3 wks, which is great since 4 yrs of ev wk was wearing. I made my mammog appt for June '08, counting out ev 3 wks carefully to get it right. Thursdays are good for Paul and he is my companion on all chemos/monoclonal antibody treatments, every test, mammog, scan, sono, etc. Love that man. Makes me feel less "alone" w/the (whispered, horrifying ca...).

When people ask, You're STILL on chemo??! How long do you have to stay on it? I answer, smiling, after a pause to get their full attention and draw them into my serenity -- FOREVER... Still smiling. They respond, For ever... They turn their heads away and stare blankly at nothing, pondering the enormity. Then they look back at me. You're amazing! I laugh (knowing all my weak moments of fear, doubt, uncertainty). No really you are. Look at you. You've always got a smile on your face. And this is true. I monitor my thoughts. I weed out the funky ones, esperience them, vent them, type them out or write them down if need be and then release them. I consciously choose not to allow negativity to rent space in my brain. I choose not to remain a victim. I choose to see myself as a remarkable exclamation point with a smiley face and peace in my heart. I have finally learned to release all my yesterdays, all my anger, blame, fury, resentment, unforgivingness. I have let it all go. It is useless and not productive. I LIVE IN THE NOW, as Eckhardt Tolle so brilliantly suggests in his book The Power of Now. I look tomorrow with belief that it will be good. I take nothing for granted. I am grateful with each day for the gift of the day. I say THANK YOU to the Universe. I have a little pewter figure on bended knee, hands outstretched, palms down, forehead to the floor. That is how appreciative and aware I am of the joy of living. I also have a pewter thumbs up hand beside it, to remind me that I am doing a good job. I AM DOING THE BEST I CAN WITH EACH DAY, AND I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT EACH DAY MY BEST MAY CHANGE. And that's okay.

None of us signed up for this gig. Who wants to get the cancer? Oh me, me... I didn't raise my hand and volunteer. But I can honestly say tht I've gained so much, come to know some truly incredible people, present company included to be sure, grown and evolved to be so much more than I ever was, and that was pretty good. I feel a sense of Self that I never had before. I am a Soul. I have a body and a mind. And I know my mind can direct and guide my body to respond in accordance w/its' wishes. I am aware of all bodily changes and question it all, trying not to be paranoid but vigilant. I regularly meditate, knowing that nourishes my Spirit, which in turn keeps me strong and brave, determined and full of faith. That's faith in my own EMPOWERMENT! We each have been given such powers as our birthright. It is up to humankind to evolve to the point that we become aware of our innate and unused abilities and employ them for our full benefit, as it was always intended for us to do. I rejoice over this Awakening. I share it with every one I meet!

I pogram my thoughts intentionally with pure loving positivity. I use guided imagery to further feed my "being" with emotions that are blissful, harmonious, humbly grateful and full of awe at the beauty that surrounds us.

I pray for this new normal to bless your lives, my sweet Soul Sisters. Cancer has never read a book. It follows no true rules it seems. But we can write our own book on our own cancer and become pleasantly surprising miracles in our own right. I believe that with all my heart. I have a 10 pound rock that has the words BELIEVE etched into it. I used to keep it on my center island in my kitchen (one of the busiest rooms of my house) -- in my face, reminding me to BELIEVE. I now have it by my front door as you enter. I am asking each of you to push your snarly thoughts over a cliff and BELIEVE. Please don't go in to the how many more years do I have left. I had such a moment, making my June '08 mammog appt. How dare I dream? What audacity to plan so far in advance! Then, I said, I'm putting it on my calendar, knowing that if it is on my calendar, I will be there no matter what. Just keep shoving those ugly moments away and savor The Now, which happiness dwells... LOVE Y'ALL always, ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
SoCalGal

I want to be you.

ANDI...
I want to be YOU. That's all I can say after reading your post. I'm going to read your words everyday until I get it right.

I've got to get rid of more negativity and call into my life more of the things I desire and deserve. I know I can make it happen.

Thanks for a great post!
Flori

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 06-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Focus On What You Desire, Not On What You Dread

YES, FLORI! I *KNOW* YOU CAN DO IT. BECAUSE I SENSE YOUR TRUE DESIRE TO OVERCOME YOUR GNARLY, SNARLY NEGATIVITY. You know it is not good for health. It is, in fact, hazardous to your health. So, in accordance w/doing every thing within your power to be well and healthy, to be joyful and in sync with the Universe. That's precisely what I wish for every woman on this board! Much loving energy being sent you way, Flori. Do you *feel* it?! (Wanted to insert a smiley face here. HOW DO YOU DO THAT, ANYWAY?) ANDI

Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
SoCalGal

Smiley Face Directions

When you use the colon: combined with the close parenthesis), the site automatically converts it into a smiley face This does not happen until you hit reply (magic).

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
hutchibk

Cool - I didn't know that, Flori, thanks!

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #16
SoCalGal

Inspired by ANDI...

Today I painted a small sign, which I hung on my front door. (I was inspired by what Andi BB wrote to us).
It reads:

W E L C O M E
Be Present (I am here)
Be Positive (I have faith)
Be Powerful (I have strength)
Breathe
and
Believe

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
SoCalGal

Hey Brenda - I also sent emails to Oprah's producers today. I think someone will contact me this summer!

9/09 MARKERS normal!
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
Markers drop post rads.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
Old 06-28-2007, 05:13 AM   #18
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Flori's Post/sign & Directions

Let me give this a whirl here. Your post made me happy, Flori! Okay. That did not work. Simple. For morons. Maybe the REPLY (magic) part of the instructions allude me. Oh, Flori. Help a mechanically/technologically challenged gal.

If you look sideways -- the colon and end parenthesis look a little like a smiley face. Where the heck is REPLY (magic)?????????????????

Going in for scans now. Drank my drink. It's raining. But my heart is smiling cause of your NEW SIGN! Love... ANDI

Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #19
Andrea Barnett Budin

Wink Didn't Hit Reply Or Magic But :)

I'LL BE DARNED! Like magic. It appeared! I'm giddy w/joy. Will think of your smiley face tip while WAITING for my scans...

Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Andrea Barnett Budin

Thumbs up Always Good To Share Good News

Had my CT scans this AM. NO EVIDENCE OF METASTIC DISEASE. STABLE. Thank you God. Thank you body. Thank you mind. All systems working together...

I did NOT use my port for contrast, as you wise women, and my chemo nurses and my onc just told me, in passing. After all these yrs of scanning regularly since '98. Yes, they always used to saline flushes and heplock. No, I never had a problem. But I will never take a chance again with my precious port. So they stabbed me a few times, and dug and dug, to thread it in. Not horrible. I have one good arm, as most of us and one good vein in the middle of my wrist, which ALL wince at approaching, hating to do as I plead. They all start off w/the juicy looking one and become so dismayed when it fails. They pump saline in to be sure it's working and IT'S NOT. I get a big bubble of saline. They call for reinforcements. Next. Please use my wrist. I know you think it hurts the most, but the hand hurts more. I promise you. They gave me a nice bandage cuff to go home with. And, in accordance with my plea for a SAME DAY REPORT, I got the results in 1 1/2 hrs (rather than waiting most of the day). They spoil me. I can't take the waiting. And Paul is worse than I am. He gets so nervous EVERY time. Still. Bless his heart. Wishing you all good reports, health and wellness, joy and harmony. With much love my sweet Soul Sisters... ANDI