HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
MamaBexar

Question Not sure what to do about surgery

am having surgery in a couple of weeks for early stage IDC right breast. PS said I am too old and too many underling health conditions for reconstruction.(age 77) Now I am having trouble deciding on how much surgery to have. Lumpectomy with possibility of mastectomy down the road. or R breast mastectomy and feel lopsided or bilateral mastectomy and just enjoy not worrying about bras. Anybody out there have a suggestion. I am really concerned about reoccurrence and then having more surgery at an even older age.
P.S. I doubt that any one will ever again see me with out my clothes excepting medical personnel and the undertaker.
MamaBexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Pat94

Re: Not sure what to do about surgery

Everybody is different and someone else's experience doesn't mean it is the right answer for you. I was 62 and married when I choose a double mastectomy. I had very large breasts & the surgeon recommended bi- to prevent back issues. My husband wanted both gone to lower the risk of recurrence although I think statistics show there is no difference in risk with either option. Normally you have to have radiation if you choose a lumpectomy. If you don't need radiation otherwise that would certainly be a consideration. I am thrilled to never have to buy another bra, never hike up another strap, never get heat rash or skin rot again. It was the right choice for me. However, getting clothes to fit is an issue. Maybe someone out there designs clothes for large women with no breasts but the closest I have found are full tank tops (again, strappy things and I don't get along) with a shirt or sweater over it works better than anything else. My husband hasn't minded the way my chest looks and my daughter finally saw me when she was helping me pick out clothes. It didn't bother her either. It sure won't bother an undertaker considering the shape some folks are in after they pass on. It certainly doesn't bother the medical staff either. Just do what feels right to you and don't spend time on regrets afterwards.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Pat94

Forgot to say there are lots of prosthesis choices if you want to look like you match or to cover both sides. I just don't want to do that.
Pat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Debbie L.

Good questions, Mama Bexar. And I like your sense of humor, especially that you are able to summon it up at a hard time like this!

This is such a personal decision. There are no right or wrong answers for a straightforward diagnosis of early breast cancer -- only your OWN right answers. As I'm sure your providers have said, for a basic early stage breast cancer, there is no difference to survival between lumpectomy vs. mastectomy. You didn't mention the plans for the axillary lymph nodes -- will they do a sentinal node biopsy?

Lumpectomy is the simplest/easiest surgery, although simple mastectomy (without reconstruction) is quite straightforward, also. As Pat94 mentioned, some people (with negative lymph nodes) choose mastectomy specifically to avoid radiation, either because of fears about that part of treatment, or for convenience (avoiding the drudgery, cost, travel, and/or loss of work involved in daily treatments for weeks). There have also been studies questioning the need for radiation after lumpectomy in older women, but that decision probably depends more upon general health (life expectancy) than upon any specific age.

It's true there's a very slightly-higher risk of a recurrence in the breast after lumpectomy (vs. mastectomy) but it's quite small -- your surgeon or oncologist should be able to give you some numbers to describe that risk. Keep in mind that it's the (unlikely) distant (metastatic) recurrence that would threaten your life, not a local (in the breast one). But I do hear (and get) your concern about avoiding the need for further surgery at a later date. If it were me, as I said above, I'd want to get some numbers about how likely it would be that more surgery would ever be needed, before making the lumpectomy/mastectomy decision.

If you choose mastectomy, whether to do just one or both is again a personal decision. Symmetry (whether flat or reconstructed) appeals to some and drives their decisions. Another driver of the choice for bilaterals is that no further screening (mammography/MRI) is needed. Others value having one functioning breast over other factors.

Sometimes it helps clarify your thinking and feeling to write it out -- how you feel about each option, the pros and cons (in your mind) of each.

If all of us on this list shared with you what we decided, and why -- you'd see that there were many different "right" choices, and that most are satisfied with what they chose, for many different reasons.

Have you gotten a second opinion about your surgery options? It's always a good idea to do that (and if at all possible, at an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center). You may not hear anything different from what has already been discussed, but you will gain peace of mind and prevent later regret, knowing that you based your decisions on the best information and advice you could gather.

Good luck, keep us posted. This time of gathering information and making treatment decisions can be the hardest part of the breast cancer experience.

Debbie Laxague

HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
MamaBexar

Thanks so much Pat94 and Debbie L. I haven't gotten a 2nd opinion since my case was presented at a cancer conference and the only thing for sure is I can't do reconstruction at the same time as the first surgery. I will start Herceptin 3 wks post op. I am er/pr neg so no hormone therapy.Ki67 only 3-5% so n o chemo. I guess these are the reasons I am so concerned about recurrence.
Your messages were a comfort so thank you again.
MB
Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
MamaBexar

Lightbulb Re: Not sure what to do about surgery

Saw the surgeon yesterday. She pretty much insisted on doing a lumpectomy. The overall opinion at the cancer conference was that my general health was not good enough to do a mastectomy. She will also do a sentinel node. I will have some type of intense radiation device implanted a few days after surgery. Five days with that.
We all know that things could change after the pathology reports come in so I will keep you posted.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Debbie L.

Good to hear your update, MamaBexar. It sounds like a reasonable plan. Are you okay with it? Do you have a date set yet?

All good thoughts to you. Report in when you can.

Debbie Laxague

PS: It's interesting that your providers are willing to give you Herceptin alone (although given the details you've included, it makes good sense to me).
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
snolan

There has been more research article covering lumpectomy and recurrence that have been posted here. From what I have skimmed over there is no increase in recurrence with lumpectomy. You may try to find those on the site.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
MamaBexar

I had the lumpectomy yesterday with three nodes checked. Looked like clean margins and neg. nodes in the OR . Final path report in next few days. I guess they were right about my inability to withstand much anesthesia. Had to be put on ventilator during the surgery.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Lien

Hi Mama Bexar,

Glad you have that behind you. Clear margins and negative nodes are very good news. It seems to me that you have an excellent chance of never having to deal with breast cancer again.

jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote