HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
ClarkA

Radiation Questions

Hi, I have a couple questions from my wife about the radiation treatment she is about to begin. She completed TCH Chemo, had her lumpectomy surgery and is about to start IMRT Radiation treatments (28 + 7). She would like to know:

If there are any cases of just the area where the cancer was found is treated with radiation, verse using radiation on the entire breast.

Can she choose not to do radiation on the entire breast?

Are there ways to reduce the possibility of permanent color changes to the breast or skin scaring from the radiation treatments?

Is there any possibility of a change in shape or form?

Thanks!

Brett
ClarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
sarah

Re: Radiation Questions

Hello Brett,
They will only irradiate the area where they suspect cancer so not the entire chest.
I needed heavy radiation over a large area because I had invasive bc but my skin is the same, no color change. I had scarring from the surgery only.
However none of this was not an issue for me, the only thing I cared about was could they kill all the cancer.
It sounds as if you should have another appointment with the radiologist or a nurse in that dept. to answer your questions also there are supplements you shouldn't take during radiation, stay out of the sun, no cream on the area before radiation, etc....so ask about these issues also. Generally they give you a printed fact sheet, but you can also do an internet search that might prove helpful. Besides this site, a general bc site is good: http://www.breastcancer.org/
The radiation will be at the same time daily for 5 or 6 weeks so you'll see the same people in the waiting room which makes it nice. It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes total and she won't be tired the way she was with chemo. Very tolerable.
Good luck,
Sarah
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
MaineRottweilers

I have not had any appreciable difference in skin color or even texture with radiation (now that it has healed). The radiation is very precision. You will see distinct demarcation of the irradiated area. The number of fields treated are determined by the type, position and suspicion of lymph nodes/vessels invaded by cancer cells. You should ask your RO for a specific map of your fields and why they are being treated if you have questions. I finished radiation the day before Thanksgiving and today, you can barely see a tan line.
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Rolepaul

The skin may have minimal changes to texture depending upon the radiation load, but they should take this into consideration with a dose loading. I would use a good skin cream, making sure it has aloe in it. I know that Bag Balm and Udder cream are two good skin creams. Add Vitamin K cream for the blood vessel breakage minimization. This can also be done with Henna + Lemon Juice, but the ski turns yellow for a short period so tell your physician.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
snolan

Radiation can affect the shape if there is already an implant in. She should talk with her plastic surgeon. If she hasn't had the implants yet then they will do a transplant of skin and/or muscle to help the breast keep its shape to hold the implant better. My friend did her radiation with the implant in and it ended up shrinking a little and had to have fat implanted to help even it out.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Shirley

ClarkA,

My last radiation was in early December and the only thing I see now is a slight tanning of the skin under my arm, sort of like a shadow. I suspect that will go away over time. It seems as though my surgery scar is less visible after radiation too, although that could just be from the passage of time.

The actual radiation treatments were difficult for me because my joints are so sore from chemo and it was hard to keep my arms raised above and behind my head. Once they began placing bolsters under my arms it was much better. The Radiation Therapists were helpful. Still, once my skin started to get burned I was not a happy camper. I didn't think it was possible it would heal, but it did, and rapidly. I used Aquaphor and emu oil but I've heard good things about aloe too. It can be a sticky mess though!

I agree that it's good to run these questions past the radiation oncologist--your wife will probably meet with that person regularly (for me it was once a week, on "doctor day"). I was frustrated because I was not told in advance exactly how many treatments there would be (just something vague like "6 weeks" which was not entirely accurate), or that there would be boosters. I think the medical folks take those details for granted, but I'd advise always asking these questions upfront so that you aren't disappointed to have painful skin and then be told there are 3 extra treatments plus 5 boosters to go (boy was I mad!). Also, the boosters aren't the same as regular radiation. Those didn't bother me, other than the fact that I had to go to the rads clinic every day for them. Nobody in the medical field seems to have an understanding that some of us are taking time off from work or other responsibilities and that it is a big deal to be going through this. I did experience some of the "talk to the hand 'cause the face don't wanna hear it" attitude from the rads docs. I guess it's hard to hear it over and over from patients, but still....

As far as whether she could have a smaller area radiated, I think most docs would say it's either radiation or no radiation. I don't think there is an inbetween, but you should ask. IT REALLY IS THE PATIENT'S CHOICE. I considered not having the radiation, but for my profile I figured it really should be done. I might have decided against it if I had a different situation because I'm suspicious about this whole business anyway. It is my understanding that rads are usually recommended if a lumpectomy is done, so it is probably the standard protocol. Besides the breast and nodes under one arm they also radiated an oblong shaped area near the clavicle (that area is also tan now). Usually the techs will be happy to explain exactly where they are using radiation (docs might be bored to spend time discussing it LOL) .

Good luck to your wife. The radiation will be over before she knows it!

Shirley
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
jaykay

Hi,

The radiation oncologist should have answered most of your questions (area, etc) during the consult visit. As someone else mentioned, if your wife still has those questions then another visit may be in order.

I finished radiation in May, 2013. Because I had a mastectomy and my pathology, they did the entire breast plus super clavicle and underarm lymph nodes. My RO liked to get the "crispy" effect. I still have a bit of a tan, but it's fading. It really doesn't bother me at all.

I used aloe vera gel and both my plastic surgeon and RO were very pleased with the way my skin healed, looked and felt. One thing to remember - the effects of radiation keep on giving. In other words, the side effects do not stop after you are finished. My plastic surgeon tells me that all the time.

Best
Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
ClarkA

Ladies,

Thank you for the replies - Big Help. We'll take the advice- I'll go in with her to the doctors office Thursday to get her questions answers. It's not the first time we've needed to - through this crazy up and down the wall, happy go sad, fighting and laughing in the day and up all night! And we manage.

Interesting how before a new treatment tension builds until it blows up. Its always something else that makes it go BOOM- like the red light I ran last night. Then fighting, yelling-yapping, closer and closer to the point. Helping us get unrealized tension out. Nice not to judge - just let it happen. Yell, getting "it" out, talking your a** off until the point is lost - in the tension gone. Just needed a release. Ahh we love each other... its nice.

Understanding more now, I think her major concern is how her body will look and feel afterward. She is scared. I'm passing along everyone's experience here to her. We're living in Taiwan, I'm an American and she likes to hear the latest information from the states. See that - my ego just puffed. Can't wait to be back when all this is over.

Too all of you, a great thank you. I read here often and its helped me to understand her, and how to better be there. I can't completely understand what you are going through but I can try to be here for her the best I can with my attention and trust. Wishing you all the best with meditative love!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
Jean

Hello Clark,
You may want to share with your wife that usually and most often a lumpectomy is a ticket for radiation. When a patient has a mastectomy radiation is not usually done.
The radiation is a mop up of the surgery to ensure all cells are destroyed.

The worst part of the journey of breast cancer is the unknown. Once treatment begins she will feel much better and so will you. It is so normal to feel the anxiety
prior to the treatment. I can only share that the treatment is never as bad as we imagine it.

It helps for you wife to wear cotton Tshirts as often as possible during rad treatment to keep the chest area ventilated.

Sending both of you good wishes...
Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
ClarkA

Thanks Jean, everything went well at the radiologist office - all of her questions were answered and she felt better. I guess its the fear of not knowing. I appreciate the help and advice.

Brett
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Coux92

Brett, I finished Christmas Eve and my skin is 90% normal! My surgical scar is certainly fainter. My RO gave me a prescription for Xclair cream. Not cheap but worked wonders. Best of luck to you and your wife. I'm sure she is as thankful for you as I am for my wonderful husband. You are so on target with the tension and letting off steam, it Alway comes back to the love!
Elizabeth
5/15/13 dx IDC 1CM,
5/20/13 BRAC 1&2 neg
5/28/13 lumpectomy and SNB, ER/PR/Her-2+, Nodes neg,positive margins
6/13/13 revision of margins . Now clear
6/26/13 first TCH
Chemo Ninja~kutaki Zika Zukuchiri
10/18/13-Bx of calcification-neg whew
11/7/13 Started Radiation.
01/2014- Started Tamoxifen
06/09/14-Steriotactic BX left breast calcification-Benign
06/18/2014-completed one year of Herceptin!
Coux92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
ClarkA

Thanks Elizabeth, This has been one hell of a journey, and we're both staying aware to learn from it. All your words of encouragement really help a couple get through- while in the process. Otherwise I'd be very lost through these vast days!

Much Love,

Brett
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Bill

Hi Clark! I hope things are good with you and your wife. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You have gotten some good advice and counseling here. I can only add a few things, and if these wonderful ladies have already said these things, forgive me. "Jean's Cream" is a good product to apply to the radiated area. The tiring effects of radiation are cumulative, if I'm not mistaken. If possible, try to plan a light lunch and a nap after a few treatments. It's important for her to stay hydrated. Hang in there, Brett. You are in the right place at the right time.