HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Kavy

Help! Brain mets besides lung mets

Hi, everyone,
Yesterday I had a brain MRI, and today I received a call from my doctor's office that I have brain mets now, besides the 3 lung mets, and they want me to start on steroid. I'm lost, devastated, sad, etc., I'm not thinking straight, and I do not know what to do or where to go for the radiation. I live in LA, California, and the radiation facility they are sending me does not have gammaknife or cyberknife, so I guess they will suggest WBR. According to the information I received today, I have 3 brain mets, the biggest 2.5 cm, so I think I qualify for Cyberknife. Has anybody here been treated at Cidar Sinai, UCLA or Stanford? Does anybody take boswellia serrata instead of steroid? Is the steroid extremely necessary? What are the side effects of the procedures by your experience? There are so many decisions to make, so much research to do. Today I called Dr. Keith Blake office to make an appointment, but he does not take any insurance. I think I will see him for a second opinion. Tomorrow I will have some friends over to celebrate the New Year. I do not feel like celebrating anymore, but I do want to keep busy and don't think too much, so it will be nice to have my friends over, and it will help my family not to think too much about this news as well.
I wish you all a Healthy and Happy New Year, and may in 2011 we find the CURE.
Thanks. God bless you all.
KarlaV.
Kavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Trish

Re: Help! Brain mets besides lung mets

I'm sorry I have no advice to offer but I do send my warmest wishes for an enjoyable new year celebration with your family and friends and I hope you get the best treatment available. I am hopeful that these brain mets can be contained.
Trish
5/2006
oopherectomy, Arimedex
12/2006
liver mets largest 9cm
1/2007
Herceptin,
3/2007
Taxol + Herc
1/2008
Herc alone
4/2008
Multiple bone mets,Zometa
7/2008
Herc + Gemcitabine
8/2008
Herc+Navelbine/vinoralbine
10/2008
Herc+Carboplatin+Taxol
12/2008
Tykerb+Xeloda
2/2010
Herceptin + trial drug
5/2010
Herceptin+Tykerb
8/2010
Tykerb+Abraxane
9/2010
Abraxane
12/2010
Abraxane+Tyk+Herc
4/2011
Tyk+Herc+Femara
6/2011
Liver and bone mets prog.Abraxane continue Herceptin,Tykerb,Femara and Zometa
8/2011
Probable liver progression and increased neuropathy. Xeloda with Tyk+Herc. Zometa 6 weekly.
9/2011
Liver progression,TM +++. Cyclophosphamide and Methotrexate metro Herc Zometa
10/2011 liver mets prog.Herc, 3 Tykerb +2mg decodron daily,Zometa
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Pam P

Karla - I can relate to your feeling of desperation at learning this news of brain mets and the feeling of not knowing where to go or what to do with yourself, I am so sorry you are facing this news and having to make more tx decisions. I can't offer any advice to your on the type of radiation but encourage you to seek the best possible. There must me good choices in the LA area - even if you have to travel to get the recommended treatment. It sounds like you are already seeking out best options. So many people on this site have had tx for brain mets I'm sure they'll offer more help than I can. I just want to tell you I'm thinking of you and praying that these met will soon disappear altogether with radiation. And yes, I pray that 2011 can be the year of the Cure!
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Sheila

Karla
Hoping one of our resident brain mets experts will chime in...Steph from Seattle or Brenda....Brenda has had this more than once...also Courtney i believe just went through it...from all I've read, gamma or cyber knife and not WBR is the way to go...I know they give you the steroids to prevent any swelling....if I remember, Steph was on them...sending hope and many prayers your way that this will be dealt with quickly and easily.....
May 2011 bring new hope to you!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Barbara H.

HI Karla,
It will be 7 years this May that i progressed to Stage 4 and was diagnosed with a 3cm tumor to my prefrontal cortex. I had surgery and stereotactic radiation. At that time they wanted to follow up with WBR and I refused. I am currently NED and on Tykerb and Hereptin. I work full time as a 5th grade teacher and live my life. I am sending this message to you because I want you to have hope. You will have to take steroids, and for me that was the worst part of the experience.
My thoughts are with you. You are doing the right thing by having friends over tonight.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
GracePang

Hi Karla,
I understand your feelings and I experienced the same in July this year when I heard my cancer went to my brain (I also have lung mets, plus liver mets). I was given no choice but WBR, since my tumors were more than a dozen. I fought my best not to have WBR, but gave in at the last minute. During the WBR, I didn't take steroid, but boswellia and it went well. Now, right before Christmas, they told me 3 tumors grows back and they will schedule Gamma Knife for me. I have not talked to me doctor yet and don't know what to expect for Gamma Knife; I guess you have to take steroid as Barbara mentioned.

Barbara, your story is very encouraging.
Happy New Year everyone!

Grace
GracePang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
hutchibk

It is time to make sure you get a second and maybe even third opinion. You want to find a Radiation Oncologist who will treat you with targeted radiation (IMRT - <Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy>, Cyberknife, or Gammaknife) and not WBR, if it can be avoided... but also sometimes it is the only choice. With pretty small mets, I refused it and went to my docs with the Tykerb/Xeloda plan and regular MRIs to monitor, and the idea to attack them with targeted radiation when needed. I also told them that if my idea didn't work, that I would reconsider WBR. So far it has not been necessary and my Radiation Oncologist says we have probably avoided it altogether.

IMRT, Cyber and Gamma are all similar technology but pretty much just differently branded machines... with minor differences in which is better for various needs. IMRT is given over a few days (in my case 5 days, 15 min appts each day), Cyber is usually a one day visit, but you are in the machine for an hour or longer which would have tested my limits... and Gamma I am less familiar with, but many here have had it. I am pretty sure that Courtney has had Gamma on multiple brain mets with good results. Hopefully she will check in here.

My Rads Onc here in Austin TX is amazing. He has Varian IMRT machines. I don't know how the size of the tumor affects the best choice of machine, as mine were all pretty small (so far 6 in total have been zapped with IMRT, the largest was 9mm).

Kaiser Permanente in LA has IMRT/Varian machines... http://xnet.kp.org/scal/losangeles/s...radiation.html

Google/ask around for recommendations of Radiation Oncologists, Cyber or Gamma centers, too.

Ask your doctor if they can start you on Tykeb/Xeloda pretty quick. I got lucky and Tykerb/Xeloda shrunk my brain mets quite a bit and put them to sleep for about 18 months without any initial radiation (we MRIed every month for 3 months to be careful). Then 6 of them woke up and needed to be radiated, so we targeted them and poof they were gone. Haven't seen them since, and that has been almost 3 years now.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."

Last edited by hutchibk; 12-31-2010 at 09:29 PM..
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Jackie07

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7535733.stm

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Elizabeth1227

Dear Karla,

I just read your post. I am so sorry to hear of your new diagnosis. I too live in the LA area. I know a woman who heads a non-profit organization for cancer patients and she knows all the top doctors and has fought cancer herself three times. She has personal contact with these great doctors. I am so grateful for the doctors I have thanks to her. I have seen doctors at USC, Cedar's Sinai and St. John's in Santa Monica. I highly recommend to you Dr. Paul Song for your radiation. I had radiation in 2008 and also this year. He has facilities in West Hills, at St. John's in Santa Monica, and another in the Reseda area. I have had treatment at the first two. I like the technicians and facility best in West Hills. If you ask to speak to him and they do not do gamma knife (I don't know if they do or not) he will tell you where to go. I do know his facility has the most updated machines in the world. His phone number in West Hills is (818) 884-1683.

I wish you the best,

Elizabeth
Elizabeth1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
hutchibk

This link is to another current thread where Courtney has been talking about her Gammaknife treatments. She lives in San Francisco and has had 19 (!!) treated with Gammaknife... please read it. It might hold many answers for you!

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48241

You can also send her a private message and see where she goes in San Fran for Gammaknife treatment!

Best wishes...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
Darlene Denise

Courtney is treated by Dr Penny Sneed at USFC. Dr Sneed is from Stanford and is very aggressive using focalized treatment.

I have had 11 lesions treated with Cyberknife. The first "batch" was 8 in 09/08 and in 06/09 three more showed up and were cybered.

Wishing you the best info and treatment options as you work your way through this.

Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Kavy

Thanks everyone for your support, prayers, and information, they are very helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences as well, they are very encouraging and give me hope. You guys are awsome, God bless you all.
Yesterday I had a great time with my family and friends, I hope you did too. I totally blocked this news from my mind, and it worked.Today reality kicked in, and I'm putting my fighting gloves to get ready for this big fight.
Today I'm dizzy, but no pain, I have been dizzy for a few days now. Does the steroid help the dizziness too, or it is for pain and swelling? I haven't taken it yet.
Does anybody have experience with Temador?
Again, thanks so much for your help, I will keep you all updated.
Love,
KarlaV.

Grace, I'm so sorry you are going through this again. I hope the gamma knife will make these mets disappear for good. Sending healing prayers.

Brenda, thank you for all the info. I have been on Herceptin/Tykerb for about a year now. I had Tykerb/Xeloda last year, and it did nothing for my lung mets. I wonder if it would work for the brain.

Elizabeth, thanks for Dr. Song's number. Could you PM me the name and phone number of this person who knows top doctors?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
weety

Kavy, I don't have specific recommendations for you, but I do remember something that my onc said to me when she recommended that I get a 2nd opinion. She said that my insurance (kaiser) will only pay for treatment at their own facilities. However, if I go for a second opinion, and that 2nd opinion recommends a treatment that kaiser cannot offer me, they must pay for an outside provider to provide it for me. I don't know if this will help any in your case, but I noticed you said that your ins. company did not have the radiation type you wanted and the doc you went to does not accept any insurances. Maybe you can ask your insurance about what I was told???

TCH chemo 8/09-12/09

Ooph/hysterectomy 4/10

Started Femara 6/10

Completed year of herceptin 10/11

Zometa 1/11 (2X/yr for 2yrs)

Hopefully nothing else!!!!
weety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
joyce lutz

My daughter had 2 rounds of Temodar along with Avastin for her brain mets. Unfortunately, she is experiencing progression on that treatment plan so they are now putting her on Tykerb. We are pushing for Tykerb AND Xeloda but so far her onc won't do the Xeloda unless the liver mets progress. A second opinion we sought out agreed with his. She tolerated Temodar fairly well and had nausea and fatigue with it. However she only did 2 rounds of 5 days each and then was off of it for 23 days each time, but had Avastin every other week via IV. My best to you
Joyce
joyce lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Joan M

Karla,

Brenda who has a lot of experience with brain mets pretty much said it all. But I'd like to add that my single 2.6 cm tumor was treated with surgery and then Varian IMRT. I had five dosages to the tumor bed about six weeks after surgery.

My tumor was considered medium-sized, and the doctors said I would get better control with surgery followed by radiation. I was very disappointed because I was hoping for just one radiation shot to the tumor.

I had the surgery in October 2008 which was followed by radiation in December and all has been well since. However, because you have more than one tumor, and since I never had radiation-only treatment, I'm not sure what the size limitation is for such single-shot radiation to a tumor.

Also, except after my brain surgery, I was not given a steroid during radiation. The radiation oncologist suggested that I try radiation without a steroid, and it worked okay.

You should probably be in a larger facility if you use IMRT, as this radiation equipment is much more complicated than Gamma Knife, and requires constant monitoring of the treatment program by doctors who do it a lot.

Good luck.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 01-09-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
Kavy

Hi, everone,
Thank you for your help.
Here is a fast update. I'm trying to do Gamma knife, probably at Cidars Cinai ( any experience there?), but they suggested surgery to remove the cerebellum tumor that is 2.8cm, and can cause me problems if I do not have it removed first. Surgery probably with Dr. John S. Yu (have any of you heard about him?). One radiation oncologist there said if I did not do surgery I woul playing a russian rullet, and that if it was his brain, he would have surgery. Wow, brain surgery!!!1Went for an appointment at UCLA for SRS ( Novalis), I did not feel impressed by the radiation oncologist over there, and that got me very frustrated. Today I got a call from Stanford in Palo Alto, Cyberknife place, and they want to see my CD record to see if I really qualify for the procedure, apparently I do. But that is the question, all this burning in the cerebellum, either Gamma Knife, Novalis, Cyberknife without removal of the tumor might create scar tissue. How often this happen? do you know anybody who had problems later on for not having the tumor removed first?
Thank you so much for your help. I will keep you all updated.
God bless you.
KarlaV.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
StephN

Dear kavy -
Glad you are persuing a radio-surgery of some kind rather than WBR. Don't let them scare you with that "Russian roulette" talk. This is breast cancer mets and are in treatable areas.

I had 2 brain area tumors. The largest was 3cm in my left cerebellum. I had Gamma Knife for both. They did talk to me about "splitting the baby" (having a surgeon remove that one and hitting the other small one with GK). They left final decision to me and I said Gamma them both. I did not care if they are trying to spread around the "work" - I just wanted it done and over.

I did need the steroid as the cerebellar tumor was causing inflammation which was impinging on a ventrical. (Yes, brains have ventricals as well as hearts.)

Let them treat ALL the tumors with whatever form of radiosurgery you can. The best thing about Gamma Knife is that it is all done in one day, with one treatment to each area. No going back day after day. I felt just fine the next day and was out driving and living normally.

SCAR TISSUE - YES, I have it. But it does not cause me any symptoms or side effects.

My surgeon actually called the cerebellum "a redundant part of the brain." It does serve some functions, but not the main ones that are in higher and deeper centers.

Praying that a good decision that you are comfortable with will appear. I have heard good things about Sinai from members here in the past.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
joyce lutz

My daughter will probably be having Novalis LINAC. Short for Linear Accelerator. It is in the Gamma, Cyber Knife family of SRS Stereostatic Radio Surgery. They say they can kill her tumors w/it and I pray they are right! I hope you find the right procedure for yourself very soon. I know all this is so confusing but hang in there and it'll become clear what you want to do. My best to you.
Joyce
Old 01-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
Ceesun

Just sending along good wishes for a speedy resolution. Sorry I do not have any advice on this, but you certainly have received many helpful comments from our Her2 experts. May God Bless. Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
joyce lutz

Well we now find out that they don't want to do the SRS LINAC procedure until they see how the tumors react to the Tykerb and he doesn't believe all 7 should be done! This is AFTER the one dr. (the SRS surgeon himself) told us he could do all 7 tumors in two sessions and that all should be fine!! I just don't understand how he could've said that and then his team member tells us differently. Right now we are so disappointed and confused, not to mention angry! Any suggestions? My best to you all
Joyce