HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
Becky

I am the National Sales Manager for a division of BASF (a German Chemical Company). I have 10 sales reps that report to me and they sell our product lines (surfactants, dispersants and solubilizers) all over the USA. I travel a lot all over the place. This is why you sometimes don’t hear from me, as some hotels are bad for “hooking in”. I liked and enjoyed technical sales which is what I did for many years at BASF and then they promoted me to the highest level of my personal in competency (as I have already had to fire a person and I despise that) so I am always on the watch for open sales positions where I don’t have to move.

I have 3 daughters – Robin is 19 and is at Rutgers University studying Environmental Science. Leigh is 17 (in 11th grade) and Cara is 14 (in 9th grade). I have been married to my husband, Peter, for 21 years (and he has been my personal rock through all of this).

Peter just got a job selling construction equipment for Ingersol Rand. He stayed home and raised our daughters while I worked so we are in a new phase of life (he says working is very tiring - lol).

We also breed sport horses, primarily hunter/jumpers and will be moving on February 16 (not far from where we currently live – no school changes) to a house that has more land for this business (so don’t worry about us if you don’t hear from me the week of February 13th) . Peter, Cara and I break the horses when they are ready. We have a bichon-poo (or poo-chon as Michelle U says) named Chloe (who is 4 yrs old) and a cat (Oil – his brother was Vinegar but “Vinnie” recently passed away). I also enjoy gardening, hiking and camping. After we move, I plan on starting to take horseback-riding lessons again.

I love this group and being able to help everybody out and that you are there to help me out.

Warm regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #22
Cathya

I just started back to work this week (two days for three weeks, three days for the next three weeks, etc.) after being off for 14 months. I work in the securities industry selling stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and offering financial advice. I work with my brother so it's kind of nice. If we ever disagree we close the door, have it out and then forget all about it. He was very upset when I was diagnosed and keep all of our clients in touch with my treatments by posting info on our weekly market updates. Now I'm getting lots of calls and it's great. I graduated university with a BSc in microbiology 30 some years ago. I am a single parent with two kids in university about an hour away. My daughter Amanda is 21 and studying political science and human rights. My son Richard is 19 and studying Mass communications. He's not crazy about that though and being an extreme extravert would like to go into Radio and TV arts in Toronto. I live in a small town near my parents...85 year old mom and 87 year old dad...both extremely healthy....mom's a small bowel cancer survivor and went through chemo 13 years ago. They have been taking me to appointments, bringing me home made soups, etc. I often have to laugh that at my age (56) I'm still being taken to appointments by my parents. My other brother is a retired police officer...now a PI and head of security for the NHL team in Ottawa. Living along the St. Lawrence River we have the highest rates of cancer in Canada I understand. I know two women going through treatment for IBC in our town of 5000. BUT....life is good and somehow better since I've been diagnosed. I just take the time to enjoy it I guess. I am so grateful for this site and all of you. Super idea.
Cathya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #23
Kimberly Lewis

I am a potter and pottery teacher. The cancer gave birth to my most recent sculpture on display at our local gallery. It has been well received and I have gotten a lot of comments on it. Most people here in town know what I have been going through. This morning I have to postpone starting classes as I am having a secend mastectomy soon. sigh... No more left to remove now though and that is good news!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #24
juanita

Question

I work in our local high school/middle school cafeteria. Mostly I run the cash register, but do whatever is needed. Then I clean the cafeteria. I took two months off when I was first diagnosed in Sept 04, but have been pushing myself to get the job done since then. Teachers have had me talk to a few girls whose moms have been diagnosed in the past year with breast cancer. That's a good feeling being able to help them.
I have been married 24 years to a wonderful man who took off from work and went to all of my first appointments and surgeries(then they got a new manager who didn't like all of his time off). I have a 23 year old daughter who just got married and is about to make me a grandma in April. I also have a 22 year old daughter who works with the handicap and is going to college for that, a 20 year old son who's majoring in college and a 16 year old son who just wants to be a farm boy and has been a tremendous help through all of this.
I want to open my own bakery someday, and was planning on doing that before bc. Maybe when I'm done with herceptin in June I'll start looking into that again.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
Unregistered

Talking love this topic

Hi,

Lets see I have worked in the Business Sales/Marketing field for 20 years, I work for AMD Telemedicine right now and love love love this company. I spent 4 years in the Navy as a corman (nurse).

I have been married for 7.5 years to the love of my life, Kevin, who just happen to come with 3 of the most beautiful daughters now, 20, 18, 16, whom I love to death.

We just today put an offer on a new home, we sold last Feb, then I got dx so we moved to an apartment for a year, and now we are ready to go back to life before bc. I'm her2neu++ so still have herceptin every 3 weeks till august, and 7 weeks of rads, than that is it. I'm done and I will thank Cancer not to come back!!!!!!!

I love to decorate homes and love spending time with the other love of my life. Nootie, the cutest pug in the world.

oh I'm 42!

randi
Old 01-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #26
anne

Hello everyone,
It is indeed nice to read about what everyone does. I am a dentist. My mom was dx in 04 with bc and I have found this site to be a God send. I look forward to reading about everyone here in good times and bad. I would love to answer any dental questions if something is bugging you. I am also 9 mths pregnant and hope to email you guys a pic of our latest addition to the family shortly.
XOXO
Anne
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #27
Bev

hi all,

As I never figured out how to post a profile I'll do a quick one now.

I have 3 children. My lovely daughter who is nearly 16 and twin boys who are 11. We call them bad and badder. It has crossed my mind that carrying twins may have caused some hormonal overload to lead to BC, but who knows?

I'm an architect. I used to do commercial work with a firm before kids. Since kids, I work very little. Draw up a garage, kitchen, etc.. but enjoy it.

I have known my husband for 30 years, he gets the gold star sticker for finding this board and going to nearly all of my appointments with me. He's a General Contractor and we hope to collaborate on plenty of projects in the future.

I'm glad I found this site. I had been all over the internet, reading all kinds of studies, but I just couldn't understand them or know if they related to me. Well I still can't understand 1/2 the studies, but I have learned so much through all the individual posts. Thanks to everyone who has had a hand in putting this together.

Best to all. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #28
fourboysmom

My name is Janet and I married my high school sweetheart (18 years ago) and we have 4 sons. Timothy 10, Kyle 8, Marc 5, and Robert 3. I am also a RN , though I am on a medical LOA during treatment. I work with babies that weigh just a pound and attend high risk deliveries. This work is very rewarding. I have been in the NICU for 16 years.

I also do various arts and crafts. I especially like to paint and photograph. I have 2 dogs, a golden retriever and a choc lab, and love to hike in the woods with them. I am an avid animal lover and have rescued injured wildlife. Reading is also a form of relaxation for me.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
AlaskaAngel

Remarkable....!

If there is one single commonality in these posts it is the shared long-term commitments in relationships, and the next commonality is medical work.

My hero and I have been together for over 30 years too, most of it in Alaska. (Lots of stability and character on this board.)

I worked in the woods for years in both silviculture and recreation, then more or less gave that up when I hurt a knee, and then I worked for a university for many years. I have also worked both in direct patient care and in technical medical services... a few years prior to dx I shifted to being a computer commuter, and am VERY happy as a private contractor working out of my home... My hero retired this year to "get serious" about our sailboat, and I don't know if he likes his retirement, but I sure do....

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:33 AM   #30
Shell

I am a partner in a law firm, with a concentration in commercial litigation. I occasionally get to travel, which is most enjoyable.

My husband and I are approaching our 20th anniversary, and we have two girls, ages 10 and 8. We have lots of caring family nearby, and everyone chips in to give me the time to do fun things like gardening, being a Brownie leader, cooking and being on our town council.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #31
Monique M

Hi Everyone!

I have enjoyed reading about everyone. I am an Immigration Attorney with my own private practice. I generally assist companies in bringing their foreign based personnel into the US. I love it when one of my clients receive a green card and it is even better when they become a US citizen! I have been out of law school for almost 14 years -- so I have been at this for a while.

The best part of my life, however, is my wonderful husband Jim. We have been married for 5 years-- he is a wonderful Southern Gentleman and he reminds me all the time that I am a Yankee who loves a southerner and the south! I have 2 great step children, age 14 and 17 who keep me on my toes.

We just moved to Birmingham, AL. After going through my diagnosis and treatment in a state without family, we made an effort to move into an area with family. We are loving every minute of it. We just moved into our new house on the day after Christmas. We share it with our dog Champ and my chemo cat, Aubie (a gift from my husband during my chemo).

When I am not busy with family or work, I love to cook, travel and read cook books.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts!

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #32
Maryanne

This has to be my very favorite post!
Took me awhile to read through all of them, thank you all for posting.
We really are an impressive bunch.
With that said, I am a Landscape Architect. Do both commercial work as well residential. Have a very understanding boss and was able to work throughout treatment. I also volunteer in a pilot art program with Down Syndrome children which is dear to my heart, and am currently putting the finishing touches on illustrations for a third childrens book( have an MFA)
I have two wonderful children, Amanda 23 finishing at UCLA this June and Jarret ( a Hodgkins survivor) who will graduate H.S. in June then off to college, where we have not decided. Am owned by a black long haired cat named BOO.
Enjoy painting, gardening, cross country skiing, children, friends, and making people smile.
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #33
mamacze

Smile

Rhonda and Maryanne,
Leave it to you two to come up with such a wonderful idea! I am absolutely bowled over by everyones gifts. What a nice family we have here! It is so helpful to get to know you all.
I am a 49 year old mother of 4 kids; ages 11 to 20; two boys, two girls.
I also am an RN (quite a rusty one), but went on to get an MBA and worked in hospital administration for 5 years, than worked as a nursing home administrator for 10 years. I was also fortunate to have manage an inpatient AIDS hospital in New Haven CT for an interim period.
However when I was diagnosed, I retired and I am fortunate to have that option. It was time to focus on hearth and home which is exactly what I am doing now.
It is so nice to meet you all.
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #34
Sandy H

I forgot to do mine. Hope its not too late. I will have been married for 32 years in April, have a 27 year old single son. I worked in a hospital for 24 years. Starting out as a Nurse Assistant, Pharmacy Tec., Admissions Clerk, Switchboard Operator, and the past 12 years worked in a very busy Rehab as Office Manager in which I worked harder those last years then on any of the other jobs. I went out on disability/early retirement at the age of 54 when diagnosed with IBC. My hobbies are sewing, painting, knitting, crocheting, gardening and traveling. I volunteer at my church, do a monthly church newsletter, look in on people who need help, take a friend 89 years old shopping, out to eat once a week, do phone support to other bc patients, belong to 3 bc support groups. Now, you ask me why am I not still working? As you all know here all these things I do I can choose when to do them. Some days I do nothing and others I more. If I am not able to get to sleep then I don't worry about it because I will sleep in the next morning. Only you people who have been there and done it understand what I am saying. Some of my friends and relatives just don't get it!!! Well, as I tell them they need to walk in my shoes only a few days and they would know why this is the way I live my life. To the fullest possible and yet keep my quality of life around many, many doctor appointments. After all is said and done I am still able to say, "My life is good". Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #35
saleboat

Wow! We all have so much going on in our lives!

I live in NYC (Manhattan) with my husband of one and a half years (I'm 35). I left big-firm life a year ago to work as an investment manager for a boutique asset management firm. It has been a great move and made going through treatment while working a lot more manageable. Before I went back to graduate school for my MBA, I had done not-for-profit and gov't/political work. My husband is a detective with the NYPD.

We enjoy city life, planning our apartment removation, dining out at NYC's great restaurants, cooking for friends and family, and long-weekend escapes to Cape Cod. When I'm not working, I try to get to the yoga studio, and watch way too much HGTV.

It has been a blessing to get to know all of you through this site.

Jen
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #36
Nicola

About Me!

I am 37 years old and married to my best friend. We have been married almost 6 years now and have known each other our whole lives. We grew up across the street from one another and our Mothers were best friends. Both of us lost our Mothers to breast cancer so we are all too familiar with this horrible disease. We don't have any children together but I have three wonderful step children who live with their Mother, we spend as much of our time with them as possible. We also have a small zoo, we have one large dog, 5 cats, a rabbit, a turtle, 2 parakeets, chickens and a pea hen (female peacock).

I am a self taught artist, I paint mostly Still Life Abstracts in acrylics and also dabble in mixed media. I have sold many of my paintings and have given several away as gifts to family and friends. Painting is my one true passion.

We enjoy camping, canoeing, kayaking, gardening, wood carving, antiqueing, reading, writing and spending time with family and friends.

We are looking forward to a trip to Cape Hatteras this summer where we will ride horses on the beach and celebrate life, love and family.

Cancer and all that it entails may ravish my body but it will never destroy my spirit.
Nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #37
OliviaB

Me

Hi!

I am 36 years old and I live in Baltimore. I am a stay at home mom working harder than I ever did at work with my 5 year old son. Am active in the Moms Club, MOPS and the YSC support group "Breast Friends".

I was dx in Dec. 2004 and currently on Herceptin. Am enjoying having my hair and energy finally back!!!

Olivia
Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #38
Patty H

After reading all the replys I can say so far I am the only one with this type of job. I worked for 30 years in a GM factory. I was retired a year and a half when DX with breast cancer. It had always crossed my mine wondering if working in a factory around glues and soder, caused my cancer. But so far no one else has posted that. I have been married soon to be 37 years. My husband has been with me through every thing. We always say we are in this together. We have 3 children and 7 grandchildren. He is still working at Haynes International (a factory) and has 3 1/2 years to retirement. We live in a town where at one time all most every one worked in the factories. But little by little they are shutting down. We love to travel and geocaching. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #39
Cynthia

Reading the posts on this thread explains why this forum is so effective -- its participants are highly accomplished men and women.

I am a private practice attorney specializing in mortgage banking litigation. (We defend the banks when they get sued.) When I was 43, my incredible husband and I headed over to China to bring home our one and only child. Four months later I was diagnosed with B/C. At first I thought, "how can I get through this with a baby." But very quickly thereafter I wondered how I could have done it without her. She is an amazing child whose smile (and Shirley Temple dimples) could solve our nation's energy problems. I did all the standard stuff (bilateral mastectomy, chemo, rads), the less standard stuff (vaccine trial at Walter Reed and ovaries removed), and fought for and now receive late Herceptin. So far, so good (she says with fingers and toes firmly crossed). My daughter was only 16 months when I was diagnosed so she was never scared about any of it and we have only discussed cancer with her on the outermost margins. However, she recently told me (at 3 1/2 years), "Mommy, you used to be very sick." I was stunned of course. I asked her if I still am. She said, "Oh no Mommy, you are fine now. I came to you so you would be better and you are." Now how can I not believe in some grand plan?

The simultaneous arrival of daughter and cancer sure changed my view on what matters in life. Gone are the 6 to 7 days a week at the office that Washington, DC typically demands of its attorneys. I now work three days a week (and take off every President's Day, Columbus Day and MLK day that I would have never dreamed of taking before). I explain to my partners that I would fully understand if they want me to leave but so far they haven't taken me up on the offer (though if and when they do, that's ok -- I'll do something else). I can truly say I am a much happier person now. I even started knitting -- imagine that.

I continue to wish each of you the very best.

Cynthia
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #40
sarah

I was a film and videotape editor and also producer/writer of documentaries for TV but after the first time in '99 I couldn't work the very long hours (10 - 18 hours a day) sometimes 7 days a week and my arm has often been a problem. And then the recurrence in 2003 clinched it. My husband is a director/producer/writer mainly of documentaries and long form music shows. He's mainly given up his work to be with me. We've been married for 33 years and he's been wonderful through it all.
Interesting how many of you are RNs.
Sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote