HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Donna H

high blood calcium level

I was DX with osteporosis before starting Femara and was sent to an endocrinologist to see if there is any underlying cause other than early menopause. I just heard back from the doctor's office - blood test showed high blood calcium level. I am getting another blood test tomorrow to see if the result was a fluke or real. Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know what this could mean? I made the mistake of looking it up online.....
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: high blood calcium level

I'm really not sure Donna but I know when I had suspected bone mets a few years ago I had myself diagnosed and dying having looked up the symptoms on line!! Hopefully they're just ruling out anything sinister and just wanted to send good wishes to you for a less worrying result.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Nan103

Donna, I had high blood calcium for 5 years before anyone took it seriously. It's a long story but ultimately I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. The osteoporosis fits right into hyperparathyroidism. You are doing the right thing by seeing an endocrinologist. This is what they are good at.

I also developed kidney stones as a result. .

Hyperparathyroidism isn't great, and I had to have surgery for it two years after my breast cancer diagnosis but I'm cured.

PS Five years out from BC and feeling great!

dx'd May 2010, routine mammo. 2009 mammo neg
lumpectomy June 16
re-excision June 29
LNs negative, Her2/neu +. Tumor 3.7 cm
Adriamycin & cytoxan every other week x 4 July-Sept 2010
Herceptin & Taxol weekly x 12 wks. Finished 12/16/10.
Radiation therapy Dec 28 - Feb 10 2011.
Herceptin continues until October 6 2011.
Nan103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Donna H

Hi Nan-
Was your PTH level high as well as high blood calcium? My endo actually called me back today (apparently he didnt like it when I told the nurse I didnt want to get Prolia shots.) Today he said my blood calcium levels aren't high when he factored in some other number because.....not really sure. He said because my PTH level was within normal range I dont have hyperparathyrodism. I just have osteoporosis for no reason other than early menopause. He wants to treat with Prolia or one of the other similar treatments. I am just cautious of another treatment and it's possible side effects. He did say I could continue taking calcium and vitamin D (although my D levels were fine), continue to exercise and wait a year or so and recheck bone density. I just dont know if I trust this doctor. Any thoughts? Comments?
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote