HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
itssusanne

possible weight gain

I am about to start A/c chemo on Sept 6, followed by Taxol, Herceptin. My lump was small, 1.5 cm, and not in my lymph nodes, but cancer was HER2 status.

Can someone tell me why a side effect of this chemo is weight gain? I always thought chemo brought loss? Does it slow your metabolism, or increase your appetite? I had just lost 40+ lbs, then after lumpectomy results was so stressed I returned to old habits and gained some weight. While this is not a time to stress over my weight, dont want to put on everything I worked so hard to remove! Thank you in advance, Susanne
itssusanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Becky

Weight gain happens to about half the women on chemo (maybe more). The rest lose or stay the same. The rationale behind weight gain is the fatigue that occurs (so you do less and if you had exercised, you exercise less). Also, you may not have a taste for the right things but have a taste for higher calorie and fat things. You will get a funny taste in your mouth (or nauseous) and make only be able to tolerate certain foods.

You can stay on track however by taking little walks (does help with the fatigue) and eating right (which will help the normal cells rebound from the onslaught of chemo). I will admit, I was a loser but part of it was that I was not going to eat anything bad for me no matter what. I stayed on the new food pyramid with lots of fruit, veggies and whole grains. This helped me lose (and I needed to lose). However, some of it was due to the chemo too.

You need to do what is right for you during this time.

If you have any questions, ask away. We are here to help you out.

Kind regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Sherryg683

Another major reason for the weight gain is the steroids they give you before the chemo treatments. They give them to you to fight the nausea, but it also can make you gain weight. I have also been told that some chemos make you gain weight easier than others..Taxotere being one of them..sherryg683...I gained around 8 lbs. and have been fighting to get the last 5 off..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
chrisy

My oncologist told me that most women gain, attributed to the steroids, some of the chemos, fatigue leading to being less active...she also had a interesting perspective on the "you will always lose weight on chemo": she said in the earlier days they couldn't control the nausea OR the cancer, that's why people lost weight.
So considering that alternative, I'd rather have the weight gain! Although I am also having a heck of a time getting it off! I did fairly well early in my treatment, but as it wen on I felt more tired and was not as motivated to keep my daily walks...so if you can, try to stay active!
Best of luck to you.
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
carlsoj

ask doctor to reduce steriods

I have just finished A/C & Taxol (6 mths total), and have managed to keep weight gain at 10 lbs. I walked as long as I could (the last 4 weeks of Taxol & going back to work have exhausted me), and tried to eat healthy (not to hard...food tastes are off...liver every week during A/C).
After 3 weeks on Taxol with no problems, I asked my onc. if he would reduce the steriods since I was concerned about weight gain....and he said he was willing to try it. No problems, so less Decadron.
It never hurts to ask.
carlsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
itssusanne

Thank you so much for your answers - I start on Sept 6th, so will keep an eye on the weight gain. Susanne
itssusanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
MJo

Possibly you will have little weight gain since you are already weight conscious. I gained a lot, but I have always had trouble controlling weight. The doctor told me not to worry about my weight, to concentrate on fighting the cancer. I wanted ice cream and grilled cheese sandwiches, and I ate a lot of these foods. That being said, I hope you will not put staying skinny too high on your list of priorities while you are getting your treatments.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
koolbreeze

Weight gain

I actually was suprised that I did not lose weight while on chemo because I had an extremely small intake of food. I could not each very much at all while on chemo and expected to lose some weight. However, I remained the same through the entire cycle and the doc said it was because of the steriods.

I will say that as soon as the chemo stopped, I started shedding weight like crazy since I still could not eat much. Unfortunately, now my appetite and taste is back and I am gaining weight. Doctor is not happy with my weight gain.

Good luck with your chemo. Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote