HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
heblaj01

There is no doubt that the results of the Alberta lab experiments are impressive. But as much impressive have been the observed side effects on patients treated for acidosis with DCA: severe temporary or pemanent neuropatic damage, death.

Now, it may be that these tragic side effects were partly the result of having to deal with debilitated patients suffering from the genetic defects associated with acidosis. But it looks like some twicking of the drug may have to be done to make it tolerable (unless the course of the treatment is going to be so fast & effective as to be too short to cause serious side effects).

Last edited by heblaj01; 03-19-2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: typo error
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
hutchibk

I don't know what to make of it all, but here is a link to a blog with some info about DCA. Read through the comments. For some it might make it clearer... for me it just got more confusing. It will be interesting to see where it goes, but for starters, I am curious about it being a carcinogen. Could be a lot more exploration is needed.

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/sho...or-cancer.html
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
Merridith

Because Dichloroacetate is already an approved medication for certain types of human metabolic disorders the doctors already know the maximum doses that can be given as well as potential side effects. From what I have read, the typical patient taking "normal" doses (not in combo with other meds) experiences little to no side effects. This is why, once enough money is raised, the doctors are hoping to start the clinical trials at a "Phase 1-2" stage immediately. The pure phase 1 stage isn't necessary because the dosage data already exists.

This is the reason that I posted this information.

As we all know, chemo certainly has side effects. And as for myself, I know if I thought that my options had run out and the end was visible, I would certainly be putting my hands on this medicine - even if it were only to give myself a bit of hope.

Since this medication is already approved for a different disorder, I believe that doctors can prescribe it off-protocol. How many would is a different question - but certainly a few would.

There is no reason to take the stuff that has been rendered for animals or take ridiculous doses that are likely to cause side effects. The website clearly indicates that there is only indirect proof through animal studies - which often don't translate to humans - that it will work. This is definately a crap-shoot.

My rational for taking it would be the same reason for volunteering to take an experimental vaccine. Both offer a ray of hope - and even if they were to do absolutely nothing to aide me - they are not that dangerous to take and they offer a potential upside versus a definate downside. I would be prepared to take my chances.

Each person on this walk has to make their own choices. Some with food changes, some seek alternative medicine, others meditate or do lifestyle changes. Me? I'm the kind of person that would roll the dice.
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote