HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
chloe

Unhappy New Poster Here!!

Hi to all, I am not new here I have been lurking in the background since I was diagnosed Feb. 2006 DCIS, ER PR -, HER 2+++, Grade 3, Mastectomy, Chemo X6, Herceptin for 1 year. I have been busy reading and learning from all of your wonderfully informative posts for the last 2 1/2 years. So know its time to come out of the closet. I had been experiencing some pain in my right leg (around my ankle and foot), my right rib area and right arm. I had a bone scan in March 2007 and all fine but did show some arthritis in the right shoulder. Throughout all of this I had some lower back pain which I never discussed with my doc because I chalked that up to age (although I am only 48) and bone change from the chemo and herceptin. I have recently went for a bone scan and the tech left the room to consultant with the radiologist and came back and said I am so sorry I should have offered you a pillow for your back, she realized my orders were for pain to other areas and asked why I didn't complain about the back pain and I explained why. She then said the radiologist wanted to take an extra picutre of just my lower back and she would not talk to me anymore, I told her that she was scaring me and was little unfair leaving me hanging since we were going into a holiday weekend and wouldn't hear until Monday now and she just stared at me like she had said too much already. Obviously she now has me (along with the pains I am having) convinced I have bone mets. Can anybody out there explain to me when you were diagnosed with bone mets what it felt like. I have been reading some really scare stuff like 2 year survival and most 5, although I do realize that varies and stats are stats. But as I go through this long holiday weekend I need some happy news to get me through. Funny though when I was originally diagnosed with DCIS I took it like a trooper and just marched through whatever needed to be done. I just can't figure why I am going off the deep end this time...I appreciate any insight you wonderful people can give me..
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
karen z

Chloe,
I am sure that several members will reply to your post with answers regarding your questions.
I do not know when you had this most recent scan/when this event occcurred, but call your oncologist and ask him/her to find out what the report said- today. There is no need for you to worry about what the report might possibly say- call and ask for information and be persistent.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Christine
Founder - HER2 Support Group

Chloe,
Call your oncologist at once and tell him/her of your concerns. He may be able to get you some kind of answer before the weekend.

Hugs and welcome to our website,
Christine
HER2 3+++, er- pr-
AC, Taxol, Herceptin, Gamma Knife (3 treatments) WBR
NED July 2001
December 2001 - Founded HER2 Support Group
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
mts

Hi Chloe-

I agree w/ Karen Z... call your onc right now !
I will say its disconcerting that you are left hanging (especially this looong weekend). Just keep in mind that no matter what, likely its more arthritis.

Hang in there !

maria

I
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
BonnieR

I cannot answer your question specifically. But wanted to tell you that just this afternoon I had a carotid artery MRI which was ordered yesterday because my doctor heard "something" in my neck... When the test was finished, I asked when my doctor would have the results and the technician said "24 to 48 hours". Of course with the holdiay that means next week. I was so tempted to ask her how it looked but I knew it would be the sort of thing you are talking about. Getting the professional non committal response and then thinking the worst.
I know it is difficult, but try not to worry about something until you KNOW you have to. There will be plenty of time later. That is what I am trying to do.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Bill

Hi Chloe! I agree with the others, call your doc. asap and get some clarification. All I can add is that Nicola, with every bone scan, had a "hit" at T-8 and T-9, I believe. There was always concern that they were mets, but nothing ever changed and over a period of time, we felt that it was just arthritis. Right now, my lower back is killing me, but I know it's not mets. I know our situations are vastly different, but like you said, lower back pain runs in the family at our age, and I bet with a bone scan, my L regions would light up big-time. I hope you can reach your doc and receive some consolation. Sorry, sweetie, I wish I could help more. Love, Bill
Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Colleens_Husband

Chloe:

Welcome to this site. I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. No one deserves to go through three days of being in limbo to find out what the problem is.

I agree with everyone on this site. If you can't reach your oncologist, then I might suggest calling one of the oncology nurses. They have to be on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Perhaps they can help you out.

I would like to offer these words of caution. Raw facts without perspective can be devastating. It is very, very important that the people who give you information, even if it is bad news, and right now you don't know if it is bad or not, do it in a way that will cause you no harm.

Radiologists generally do not make diagnoses. The just give raw data to your doctors and the doctors interpret the facts. They may have seen something suspicious, but that doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you.

Chloe, you will be in our hearts and prayers.

Lee

Diagnosed in September 2007
ER-/PR-/HER2 Neu+++ 2.1 cm x .9 cm spicluted tumor with three fingers, Stage 2B
Sentinal node biopsy and lymph node removal with 3/18 positive in October 2007
4 TAC infusions
lumpectomy March 2008, bad margins
Re-excision on June 3rd, 2008 with clean margins
Fitted for compression sleeve July 16, 2008
Started the first of two TCH infusions August 14, 2008
Done with chemo and now a member of the blue dot club 9/17/08
Starting radiation October 1, 2008
life is still on hold
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
chloe

Thank you for the advice, just to clarify since I am done with "treatment" I am no longer under the care of my onc. I am looked after by my family doc, she is away today, they were expecting to have the final report late yesterday afternoon or first thing this morning. My doctor will not be able to see me today because of the holiday so I won't see her to Monday. I know our cancer clinic is open today, so I think in hopes of releaving some of this stress I will call my old oncologist or nurse practitioner and see if they can give me the information. I am not sure if they can since the scans was requested by my family doctor... I am hoping they can.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote