HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

anyone comfortable going without prostesis?

I know this is silly, but I would love the comfort of not wearing a bra ever again! I have never to my knowledge seen anyone doing this or talked about it. I read about a woman artist who had this photo done with a one shoulder dress and her scar revealed... she did eventually go to wearing a prostesis. I have a double mastectomy and other than looking stupid in clothing designed with breast "pocket" I think I might get away with this. Any experience out there - any observations or comments? Thanks!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
dogladybarks

Yes, me! I had a right radical mastectomy the end of last July. It doesn't bother me in the least, not to use a prosthesis. Sometimes I wear a sports bra, that's just undershirt material, but that's it.

I do know a few women who had double mastectomies and don't use a prosthesis either. They, like myself are more comfortable without them.

If you are more comfortable without them, go for it. Don't worry about anyone else looking, or someone you know saying something...I don't. There are clothes that can hide it fairly well, and if not...well, so what!

Sue
dogladybarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Lolly

I sometimes go without, it just depends on the situation...I've had double mastectomy/no reconstruction.
If I go without, I usually wear loose things, and most people don't even notice; if they do they usually have an "understanding eye", as in our area many women have gone through breast cancer treatment without disguising the fact. Benefit of living in a university town, I think. I always go without around the house and doing yard work, because of lymphedema; the bra/prothesis aggravates it if I'm constricted for more than a few hours at a time. Good luck!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
StephN

Thumbs up Does happen

Great question.
I have a friend who is in her 60's and had a mast then a second one due to more tumors a couple of years later. She is a winemaker in eastern Washington. When she travels to wine competitions or consumer gatherings, she is very nicely dressed - just has a FLAT chest and a little roundness in the midsection.

I also know of at least two other women from my survivors exercise group who rarely wear a prosthesis and the difference IS noticeable but they dont' care.

Guess we all have to do what feels right for ourselves and individual living situations. There are lots of people around who are not "normal" in any number of ways and they tolerate being stared at by people who did not listen to their mother's "dear, it is not polite to stare."
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Sandy H

I have had a double and have never gone out in public with out my prostesis or wig. Guess, I must be a vain person! I don't wear them at home unless I have company. I have cami's from TLC catalog that I wear because of my lymphedema instead of bras. I get the foam weighted inserts from TLC and they are more comfortable then the silcone ones-not heavy. I attended an IBC (inflammatory) support, most of them have had double mastectomies and no one was wearing anything and they stood/sat straight and proud. Even though its not me I have to applaued them for doing it. Most people do not know I have had a double or most of the time no hair!! I like to keep it that way. I have to share this with you. One time I had just enough hair to highlight and it was very short but cute. When I went to one of my group gatherings an 85 year old fellow looked at me and said, "I never thought you would cut your hair that short"! I simply said, "oh but I have changed". Another lady sitting beside me looked at me and smiled and afterwards asked me if he really didn't know and I told her, "guess not" and I wasn't going to embarrass him by saying anything. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
Yorkiegirl

Kimberly, I do both. It just depends on my mood.

When I go to the gym to work out I usually wear a sports bra and my shirts are loose fitting anyways.

I love the idea that I can be any size want to. LOL

Vicki
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
madubois63

I had a single mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction. I opted not to get the other one done to match. I had already had breast reduction when I was 23 and did not want to chance loosing the feeling that I had. I am lopsided, but I really don't care. If anyone has noticed, no one has said anything. I do wear a bra sometimes, but mostly wear a camisole with a built in bra. It's great for the hot flashes because I usually layer my clothes. Do what makes you comfortable. That is what is most important. Most people are too worried about themselves to notice us....

..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
-:¦:-
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´
-:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:-
((¸¸.Maryann -:¦:-´´
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
MCS

Thumbs up

a fellow lady in support has a double mast. She wears a light padded bra but no prosthesis. She's very proud of wearing tank tops also!

Go with whatever makes you feel good.

MCS ( Maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Lisa

When I first was deciding on mastectomy or not, my accupuncturist told me that some of her patients with one breast go around without a prothesis. I was flabergasted and couldn't IMAGINE myself doing that.

Well, that was then and this is now. After 6 years of one breast, I often don't wear a bra and prothesis. I've always hated bras anyway. I am pretty careful though, to wear loose tops or tops that don't cling when I do this.

I'm one of the few who also go bald when the weather is good. I suppose I'm past the stage of caring much what folks think. I try to be friendly and loving with everyone so I'm more concerned with what they think of my personality than my body.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #10
Kimberly Lewis

Great answers all!

thanks all for the replies. Food for thought, I have really been going around about this. Yesterday I happened to be with two members of an artist guild and they both had single mastectectomies. They both said they would never wear their prostesis if they had a double! I just will have to adjust to it!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
JoyMiller

no bra

I am so glad this has been discussed!! I too have had a double mast and opted for no reconstruction. I LOVE NOT WEARING A BRA!!! Sometimes I feel that I look sort of weird, but it has been just over a year now and I am pretty comfortable with my appearance. I do pay attention to the clothes I wear- usually not knit tops, etc. because one side healed oddly and is concave, but overall I feel great and think I look pretty darned good! I may get a great tatoo sometime- I have seen some pictures of some women who have some pretty amazing designs. I'm not yet ready for the pain and am still in treatment with Herceptin, so I will wait a while. I am comfortable with my decision not to have reconstruction and feel uncomfortable with prothesis or padding. I totally respect everyone's decisions- this is just what works for me.
JoyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
athena453

I have had the double masts and I do wear a bra and prosthesis. I don't wear anything around the house. I do tend to wear more fitting clothing, fits better with a bit of a chest.
R prophylactic mast. 3/3/06
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Unregistered

The most "flat chested woman on the planet"

Bi-lateral in Tight Sweaters
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
Sue2001

I had a single mastectomy and often go without a bra or prosthesis. Like Lolly, I have trouble with lymphedema and a bra causes problems after a while. I felt uncomfortable at first but now I don't care. No one has ever said anything to me about it. If I had a double mastectomy I don't think I would ever wear a bra again! I say, do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Sue
Sue2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
Barbara2

YES! No bra for me!!

I have a double mastectomy (55 yrs), and am very comfortable going without a prosthesis. I will wear one for dressy occasions, otherwise, forget it!

It is GREAT! One drawback, though. I need to loose about 20 lbs, and my belly looks bigger with no boobs to help smooth things over. I can see why overweight men look the way they do. Oh well, it still feels good not being strapped up with a bra.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
RobinTN

Hi I am new here.Today is my first day.I have been reading and reading all day all of your posts and am so thankful to find this board.How I admire all of you ladies.

I am 44,an RN and was diagnosed at 42 with inflammatory bc stage 4,w/mets to nodes and liver in 2 areas even my onc didnt give me much hope.But I had chemo,herceptin,double mastectomy,radiofrequency ablation on the liver and just finished rads friday and am on arimidex and have a repeat PET for tuesday and how I pray that goes well.

I just wanted to give a little background of myself.I have never worn porsthesis.
When I go out I am flat and I to have a tummie buldge,but I am as comfortable as I can get for just finishing rads.I have to wait for 6 months before having recon and have no intention of wearing a bra ever again unless I have to.
I also stopped wearing hats,wigs,ets as soon as I got a 5 o'clock shadow.
With all I have been thru I could care less if people stare at me.
I read a saying once from someone on another board that said "I may be fat,and I may be fat,but thank God I am alive".That quote changed my whole outlook on life.

I am honored to meet all of you and cant wait to share and learn from all of you.

Don't Give Up,Look Up!
RobinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #17
Monique M

After all we have been through we can do whatever we feel comfortable with. I had a double mascetomy at the age of 39. While I had prosthesises (please excuse my spelling), I wore them when I wanted to and did not wear them when I did not want to. It all depended on how I felt and my activity.

On a similar note, as soon as I had some peach fuzz on my head I looked at my husband and said I will never wear that wig again. That was on a Sunday morning before church. I could tell that it bothered him. He told me he did not want people staring at me. I told him it was their problem not mine. I was proud of what we had been through and that I was alive, hair or no hair, breasts or no breasts.

After 1 1/2 years of no breasts, I had reconstructive surgery (my expanders were implanted exactly 4 weeks ago today). It was time and I was ready. But it all comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Peace and Blessings,
Moniqeu

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #18
margaret

Hi,

I had a single mastectomy almost 5 years ago when I was 38 yrs old. I hardly ever wear a prostethis. I do yoga and it often is obvious that I only have one breast. I'm proud of myself and proud of my body just as it is. I'm reminded of the legendary 'Amazon women' who supposedly removed a breast so that they were better able to shoot with a bow and arrow. I just consider part of my battle scars and I'm just grateful I didn't have to lose a limb like a leg or an arm.
My yoga teacher was so impressed that she asked me to participate in her yoga video. So now there's a yoga video with a one breasted woman in it.

I'm proud of my survival and now I never have a 'bad hair' day. After being bald, I'm grateful to just have hair. It's all in the perspective and how you carry yourself.

It's all about attitude.....and I sure do have Attitude!
Live, love, laugh,
Margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
Odette

Red face

Great Question Kimberly!

Thanks for sharing your stories Amazons!

Here is mine: I had my mastectomy (left side) in November. At first I was horrified to even look in the mirror to see myself so lopsided. (kinda large breasted - but no way will I get it reduced unless medical need arises.)

In time I figured out the right thing for me: I wear a tight little undershirt and stuff some rolled up gauze in the place of my left breast, (it is so light it stays where I put it and it is non irritating cotton). I joke about it in front of my 19 year old daughter that I have one round and one square breast. -you guessed it is not even a close match, but good enough for around the house.
When I go out I wear a blouse or a cardigan sweater over this and do not feel self conscious about it.

Only for a very formal occasion will I wear my prosthesis + bra.
For swimming I stuff a super light prosthesis in my regular suit, once in the water no one sees it anyways.

I hope this might help someone some day.

Odette
June-August 2006 AC chemo
August-October 2006 Taxotere + Herceptin
November 18, 2006 Mastectomy 16 involved lymph nodes
Jan 2, 2007 start radiation
Stage IV, Jan 12, 2007 recurrence in cervical lymph nodes while on Herceptin, stopped Herceptin
Rad oncologist extended the radiation field, good response
Started Tykerb Xeloda on beginning of May 2007
Progression to lungs and conglomerate lymphadenopathy July 2007
Undecided about next treatment

'One does not get to choose one's adventures'

I'm experimenting with my diet, using green tea, flax seed curry and olive oil

Odette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
tousled1

I had a bilateral mastectomy, got fitted with the prothesis adn think I've only worn them twice. I am quite comfortable going without anything. Also, the bra strap on the left side rubs right against my port. After all I've been through and still going through, I really don't care what people say. I want to be comfortable and I'm most comfortable not wearing my protheses.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote